PDA

View Full Version : Gengis Khan

Caesar
02-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Two layers, oils, reference a picture of a friend of mine travelling in Mongolia.

coops
02-24-2012, 03:32 AM
I have been watching a program on TV on Gengis Khan which was very interesting. This is an excellent portrait of him and very well painted Cesare:)

D Akey
02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
This is one stout fellow! Feels very monumental, and yet a little like one of the clay warriors that they found buried with the fellow who invented China. I forget which emperor it was but the point is that Mr. Kahn here looks like he could have been able to conquer the world.

You also seem to have included a certain modicum of beneficence. Is this the chap who agreed not to assault Rome based on a conversation with the Pope at the time? (I saw that in an old movie. :D)

gxhpainter2
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Caesar... nice painting.. I like your treatment of the rocks in the background and the sky.. Gengis looks like the people of the land .. stout and very tough..an excellent historical portrait.. the blue tones add to the cool freshness of the Steppes..

limey-g
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
A really good likeness Caesar, well done.
Geoff

Caesar
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Thank You, dear Katie! Temujin, the actual name of Gengis Kahn, was one of the very few top ranking conquerer and leaders ever. His life and deeds are absolutely amazing.

Actually he did, dear D Akey, almost all the world known, to him at least and in a quite short time, just like Alexander the Great. Thank You!
The guy You refer too though, was Attila, king of Hunnish folk, ancestors of Turks and Mongolians living around Chine, moving westward several centuries before Gengis Kahn. He progressively amassed a huge army (500,000 men) defeated and scared all Barbarians tribes and penetrated and frightened the Eastern and Western declining Roman Empire. The legend says that Pope Leon I stopped him, but the problem was that he was before eventually defeated (or stopped) in a terrible battle, at the Campi Catalaunici, in France, by a coalition of remaining late Roman legions, Franks, Germans and Celts gathered and led by The Roman general Aetius. Attila retreated towards with the troops left (huge losses affected both armies) headed to Italy and tried to vainly conquer Aquileia, which resisted. He tried again to conquer Constantinople, but he didn't succeed. So he probably could no more go on with war, without getting enough resources to continue, so he went back home.

Thank You, dear Gary! I found very interesting all the photo-reportage of my friend who makes unconventional trips. I'll soon get also his pictures of India.

I guess so, dear Geoff, but I was not a very close friend of Gengis Kahn, so I cannot be sure he looked exactly so.:D Thank You!

SCP
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Wonderful painting! He has great presence and well grounded in his enviroment you have painted so convincingly.Bravo!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

barnburner
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Great job Caesar. Really well done. :):):)

chinapete
02-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Caro Caesar, volevo salutarvi e complimentarvi su un bellissimo sito...
(i miei genitori sono Siciliani ...)

Il tuo amico è ... un viaggiatore nel tempo? :-)

justjean
02-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Wonderful painting Caesar and now how about one of his
grandson (I think ) Kublai Khan :D

Caesar
02-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Thank You, dear SCP! He was well grounded in any sense, but also an excellent horse rider, as anyone of his population up to today!

In case You wish to write more exotic stories, dear BB, You know who to possibly address for a cover illustration inspiration in case ... :D

Grazie mille, caro Chinapete, allora sei un picciotto!:eek::p Pensa che il primo anno di scuola l'ho fatto proprio in Sicilia, a Ragusa! Un caro saluto anche ai tuoi genitori! In Mongolia il tempo è quasi fermo, a parte le celle solari e l'antenna satellitare per la TV.

Dear Jean, actually we got many news about Kubilai Khan since 1298, when Marco Polo wrote the book Il Milione on the wonders of the Chinese Empire. Actually Marco Polo, a Venitian merchant, together with his father Niccolò and his uncle Matteo, were the first western guy to reach in China. He travelled there and had the opportunity to stay long enough time and to be admitted at the Emperor court. Thank You!

Alexandra
02-25-2012, 04:31 AM
This is great Cesare!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Caesar
02-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Thank You, dear Sandra! As far as they are from America, being a nomadic population probably, Mongolians show many similarities with natives over there, although they used horses much before and independently from contacts with Europeans.

silvy
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Mi piace proprio questo ritratto di Gengis Khan, mi ricorda le illustrazioni dei vecchi libri di storia. Ma, era così basso?:confused:

Caesar
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Grazie, cara Silvia. Magari ho esagerato .... Ora lo faccio crescere un po'. :D Eccolo!

Weeks
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Fantastic, :eek::eek:

Best,

Weeks

Caesar
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Thank You, dear Weeks!
Looking to the pictures a friend of mine took in Mongolia, I thought to make this illustration with a sort of population epopee style, a little like those old ones depicting the american natives.

Selby
03-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Bravo Caesar a beautiful style to choose for this one he looks so firmly determined nothing will turn him from his goal:)

Belvrog
03-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Fantastic painting Caesar. Very well done, especially great work on his expression and facial features. Congrats.:)

Caesar
03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Thank You, dear Selby! Actually the character inspiring me was absolutely so!

Dear Belvrog, I was glad to hear from my friend who took the reference shot and some other collegues that the painting was even better than the picture, which is a masterfully executed one. Thank You!

clinart
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I really like this, has a certain van Gogh-esque quality to it.

Caesar
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank You, dear Clinart. A great compliment indeed. I'm just a little less crazy ...:D
When I paint to simulate oil, I like to proceed fast and intuitively without a pre-set palette and with one layer only on the background using the colors mostly wet on wet, thus getting many mixes on the canvas itself and also a hint of the brushwork. My preference goes to the essential canvas as a base.

EB
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Very believable and well done

Earle

Caesar
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Probably because of a nice picture as a side reference to start from and check on proportion and tones. Thank You!