PDA

View Full Version : Ribeye the Bullbarian

milowerx
01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok this is my second painting here...
I am really loving ArtRage, it's so easy to paint with even a monkey (me) can do it! eek! eek!
Anyway, this was actually for a client (of sorts) Zaptoons Books (http://www.zaptoons.com) so I am even getting a bit of work done with it now!

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/images/tavern_fight_stp7.jpg

and here's (http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/images/tavern_fight_1024x768.jpg) a bigger one if this one's too small.

AndyRage
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh rockin'!
Love that style! Very cool characters in addition to the fantastic colouring and shading.

alanti
01-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Another excellent painting, I love your style :)

Keep them coming

alanti

YaserAhmad
01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
milowerx, excellent, another great Piece of art, i like your style alot, but what tools did you use for drawing this?

good job :wink:

drakeblake
01-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Very well done, colorfull and funny charachters :D

DB

milowerx
01-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Thanks everyone!
To answer your question Yaser,
I used the Paint Brush and the Pallet Knife and that's about it.While I amno expert at painting, I did save my work in stages if anyone cares to see the progress of how I did it.

jacktar51
01-20-2007, 06:14 AM
milowerx......Thanks for sharing your Art Milo?....You have shown us two very good pictures here... Hanzz has a page for tutorials, done by Members, I would think that Many of the Members would be VERY interested to follow your progression through to the finished piece, I would certainly look at it, you never know we might learn a thing or two....so yes please... feel free to post it ....Good Idea....Jack.

cartoon
01-20-2007, 06:42 AM
milowerx, your paintings are amazing. :D

I can't wait to see more.....much much more :wink:

well done

Ian

D Akey
01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Very commercial level.

Good work!

Selby
01-20-2007, 10:44 AM
hehe great one Milo :D ..I love the smug expression the lion has..so sure he will win

Selby

milowerx
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Thank you very much for your kind words about my painting! As for describing how I did it, sure I will do my best but I am sort of a beginner in painting so I don't know how much good it'll do...

Anyway,
I start first by drawing my original art that I am looking for. In this case because the art was drawn for a children's novel which I illustrated in black and white art, the drawing was done on paper and then scanned in.

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/original_drawing.jpg

After that I brought the line drawing into ArtRage and set it up as a Tracing Image.

From there I started to paint just the base colors over the line drawing, working slowly to achieve the flat major colors I knew would need. I didn't waste time getting into detail here and as you can see I was even a bit sloppy in the process. I can almost hear my daughters yelling "Stay in the lines daddy!"

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/tavern_fight_stp1.jpg

From here I grabbed my Pallet Knife and started to sculpt in the darker shadows trying to find the light source I wanted and also attempt to get a little bit of form. Again, I'm not really too concerned about details but more getting a feel of solidity and shape.

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/tavern_fight_stp2.jpg

I continue to refine the bull, (who's name is Ribeye) I build up the colors alternating between slapping dark color over the lighter ones by turning on the Insta-Dry function in the Brush settings.

This allows me to place precise amounts of flat color directly onto the lighter areas. Then I can smear it and sculpt it into shadows. I have found that I can go as dark as I want and I can still get it back to a lighter richer tone all the while looking for form.

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/tavern_fight_stp3.jpg

Now I've moved onto the Lion, trying to get some nice dramatic shadows on him. I learned a lot from doing Ribeye and I am trying to apply this knowledge to the Lion. At this point I discovered that if I add contrasting colors as the shadows and then smear it in it somehow gives it a richer shading. Why? I got no idea but it worked for me...

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/tavern_fight_stp5.jpg

Now I moved onto getting a nice organic background behind them by starting with a purple smear of paint with the Brush tool set with a high Loading of about 60 and a low Thinner setting of about 20 (so I'm getting that nice thick painty feel) and swirled it around adding contrasting colors each time, so I went from purple to green to yellow back to green each time taking the Pallet Knife and smearing the "globs" of paint mixing them, The great thing about ArtRage is that you can really add and take away from the canvas unlike real paint.

Now did it make a difference that I went back and forth with contrasting colors to achieve this at the end? Probably not, but that's how I built it up to this. I also added daubs of light teal directly behind them and smeared it into the green giving them light behind them and allowing us to focus a bit more on them.

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/background.jpg

Finally now that I ended up with a green background which worked nicely for Ribeye and the Lion, ( and I think helping them stand out best) I needed to change the Lion's sleeves because they were too similar to the bg. They also felt too naked to me so I changed them to green as well. I also added some blue to Ribeye's shadow which you may not be able to see but I think it adds a bit of depth. I have been told by a painting artist friend that sometimes, even if you think a color you've added is gone and you have gone over it with another color, it still changes the final color enough and that the feel, or "aura" remains. Your eye can see it even if you think it can't. Well, I'm not sure if I believe that but, hey it sounded go so there you go.

This is the final pic, which is essentially the same as the first pic I posted... ( If figured I'd post it again so all the steps are all in one post.

http://www.myblogstorage.net/milowerx/paintings/Rib_paintings/tavern_fight_stp6a.jpg

Anyway like I said in the beginning, I am pretty new to painting and I probably broke several rules in creating this but I had a blast doing it and I hope at least some of what I said made sense. Feel free to ask me to clarify if I wasn't clear.

alanti
01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
That's an excellent explanation of how you created the image. Thanks for sharing :D

alanti

jacktar51
01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you Milo....This is excellent, and you have explained the steps very well........This would make a good tutorial....thank you very much for sharing this with us......Jack.

ENCHANTER
01-21-2007, 04:29 AM
OMG , thats excellent..........im a big cartoon fan, and i can see this on saturday mornings

:)

thansk for the tutorial too

Aged P
01-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Beautiful work and a great explanation!

Phil

Lee
01-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Milo, thanks for the great art and great art lesson !!!

AndyRage
01-21-2007, 09:23 AM
That is totally and completely fantastic.
The steps make it all look so easy!

The results are stunning.

milowerx
01-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone, thank you for the encouragement... you're very kind! I will definitely post some more as I have time. I am primarily a cartoony painter I guess, I've never been good with realism, but heck if you guys like seeing what I'm doing I am only too happy to post!

BTW: hey enchanter,
I love your avatar. I used to direct that show Pinky and the Brain ... many many many moons ago!

AndyRage
01-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I used to direct that show Pinky and the Brain ... many many many moons ago!

Oh Rockin'! I loved that cartoon. Brain is my role-model, and Pinky is my muse. Or something.
You have an impressive resume'. I'll have to ask you for all sorts of suggestions when we write ArtRage Animator. ;)

milowerx
01-21-2007, 11:08 AM
What!?!?! You're making an animation version of this!?!?!? Oh MAN! Yes, PLEASE count me in! I'll answer any and all questions you can throw at me.
I'd LOVE to be a part of it in some way.

I do a lot of side projects and have a number of clients I am currently producing small animated pieces for, and while I use Flash and sometimes SketchBook Pro to animate, I have been still searching for that "killer app" to really set me free to animate.

Mirage is supposedly a great animation tool but I have it and the interface is terrible. PAP is not bad but again it sorely lacks in it's interface.

You guys seem to have an incredible ability to make a user friendly interface which is essential and KEY to good animation software. I can't wait to see what you come up with for animation.

When are you going to write it? Any time soon? Got a beta?
:lol:

AndyRage
01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Hehe. No, sorry, not any time soon. It's just something we've talked about and kicked around a few ideas for. But it's not something we're working on. I'd love to do one though.

milowerx
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
ooooh...
I let my "nerd" show... :oops: I think I drooled there for a bit too...
Well if you ever do decide to do one, I'd love to help. I'm no coder or nothin' but I am very well versed in animation and most software related to it.

P.S.
You should do one... NOW! :P

hanzz
01-21-2007, 05:34 PM
AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
"Sure - how hard can it be? :twisted:

Levent Suberk
01-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Dear milowerx, very encharming works. 8)

ENCHANTER
01-22-2007, 06:37 AM
milowerx: i used to watch pinky and the brain along with animanics.....it was my saturday morning treat.......they wre great.......it has to eb one of my top cartoons I love!

PS. i think I should take the xmas cap off brain!! :)

milowerx
01-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah it wad fun to work on for sure! I enjoyed working on Pinky and the Brain more though.

D Akey
02-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Phil!!!

You look like my avatar in my Hoyle Board Games, hahaha. The feel of a real champ!

Love the glasses and the hawaiian shirt. You look so. . . how you say at this time of year. . .

so Visually Southern Hemisphere.