PDA

View Full Version : Standing Alone

pat1940
02-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Done in oil and knife, one layer

limey-g
02-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Wow, very nice indeed, love the brushwork and also the many wonderful colours.
Geoff

coops
02-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Lovely rich textures and paint, well done once again Pat:)

gxhpainter2
02-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Pat... this is a very nice painting.. I like the evidence of thick oils, and the warm colors and sky... you are rapidly becoming a very accomplished painter!... love this one :cool::cool::):):);)

justjean
02-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Pat, you have just raised that bar so high in your last series of painting, they are wonderful :):)

D Akey
02-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Great color and I really like the paint viscosity. Almost like you are painting with cake icing. Perfect for stucco.

When you go this dynamic with texture, if you want to complete the illusion of a real space, as this is doing, you need to me a little extra obvious with the overall shapes -- seeing as the paint texture itself is loud (which I quite like). But the lower left is getting a little ambiguous as to how the planes are working. Sometimes one needs to exaggerate the differences between the planes for separation so we know what's where. You can do it by clear changes in values, in color, in direction of the strokes, etc.

In this case, the colors that you have on one plane should not be the same as on another (as a rule -- your mileage (results) may vary.)

How you actually do it is a matter of what looks good as you do it. Can't really say without pushing paint around.

Anyway, the painting is rich and juicy and the comment about the vagueness in the form and how to make it read more clearly is for later pictures. This one is great. You nailed so many great aspects of the painting process on this one. WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

silvy
02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Great:) rich colors and lovely style. Always better!

pat1940
02-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Thankyou, Geoff, Katie, Gary, Jean and Silvy, for your very kind comments, appreciated so much:)
DAkey, I have taken your great advice which is so helpful and much appreciated, I am updating and will wait for your comments, hope it makes an improvement, thankyou:)

SCP
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Great texture and such vibrant colour, nicely painted Pat.;):)

damasocl
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I love the textures you've used here...
And colors are wonderful!!!

screenpainter
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
beautiful textures and warmth.

jibes
02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Beautiful rich scene with gorgeous colors. Great job Pat!

D Akey
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Thankyou, Geoff, Katie, Gary, Jean and Silvy, for your very kind comments, appreciated so much:)
DAkey, I have taken your great advice which is so helpful and much appreciated, I am updating and will wait for your comments, hope it makes an improvement, thankyou:)

Still looks nice as a painterly painting. But it's still a little ambiguous to me. Perhaps you could please post your source photo. There are a number of things going on all at once to consider and I'm not sure which would be the one that would make the difference. You are juggling several balls at once and for that challenge you are doing some really spiffy new stretches in what you can do. It really is looking very cool.

I don't want to stifle anything you have going really well by making a comment that doesn't exactly pertain to your painting process. In other words, if the source photo is ambiguous and challenging, that would matter to how you would translate that into forms that read dimensionally. You may be painting what you see and the confusion could be coming from your source.

So if you're not seeing it because it's not there to be seen, we could end up missing the essential things that need to be enhanced based on what you need to push for the purpose of showing forms clearly by defining planes more than are in the photo.

Mairzie Dotes
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
pat1940,
One could become lost in the sheer depth of colors and
composition of this work of art. It is almost as if you
have chosen an ethereal palate of savory cheeses and
warm vintage wines to paint this period scene. Just
beautiful! :)

Alexandra
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
My favorite colors dear Pat, beautiful work!

Caesar
02-13-2012, 10:48 PM
This is a sheer pleasure to look at! :eek::cool::):):):):) It also has a quite Italian or, anyway, Mediterranean palette I'd say ...:rolleyes:

coops
02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Lovely thick paint in this one, well done Pat:)

pat1940
02-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Thankyou all so much for your wonderful comments, I am so pleased that you liked it a lot, it is always appreciated when you take the time to comment...
DAkey, I took a screenshot with the photo in it, this was the original size, so it is hard to see every detail.....thankyou for your comments always

D Akey
02-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Oh dear. It's too low rez to tell what I was looking to see. But it does look as if you generally had some level of ambiguity in the source photo, although I can see a trifle more separation. May seem like splitting hairs, but when one is dealing with close values, that's pretty much what it is. With those situations, you have the choice of how much you want to push the contrast to make it read. It's an artist's choice at that point. I have never been disappointed by erring on the side of showing the volume clearly. However, there is sometimes more mystery when you do let it fall into the more amorphous range (though there are many ways to establish mystery, this is one). Again, that's what shows the artist's voice.

What is that to the left of the balcony? Does it drop off to the left by around 6 feet or so? Is that a garage or shed or more rooms or a whole different building?

Anyway, overall it's a lovely painting. The color is fantastic.

The only thing I can suggest is to be mindful of your planes relative to the light direction. The play between light and shadow is what most often gives dimension. And once you have established in your head the arrangement of what's in shadow and what isn't, you can then have a range of values within which you can apply color through paint and textures and all that to each of those various planes.

Then it is a matter of finessing it to make it work for you as the one painting it.

Hope that makes sense.

You are so coming along in leaps and bounds. I wouldn't go into it if I didn't think you were arrived to those considerations. You're doing GREAT! Brava Pat!!!!

pat1940
02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks DAkey, I will keep all this into consideration, it is so nice of you to take the time to explain:)