PDA

View Full Version : Requiem From A Hotel Room

P. D. Dinkles
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Twas you...

D Akey
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Twas? 'Tis a fine painting. And I'm seeing it as a great technique. It's a very 30s style of drawing. Least it feels that way to me. Really cool image. I love the forced perspective in order to give it a deco feel. Even a little early Dick Tracy funny papers. . .

Nice work, Cap.

screenpainter
01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
great title to start with. I see the retro art deco that Mr. Akey pointed out, :) but for me it made me think of David Hockney. anyway I really like the style of it. the line color and composition are all quite splendid and it turns out to be a visual feast for the eyes and for me personally there is something almost philosophical about the lone red shade on a black lamp as if they are at war with the earth tones of the rest of the piece. I think this is a very valid war in art and emotional conveyance and serves the piece well for it to speak of such things.

coops
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Love the view from the window, this painting has a story to tell. Well done P.D.:)

jibes
02-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey PD add me to the list of fans!

P. D. Dinkles
02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
D Akey, Screenpainter, Coops.

Your observations were well on. My uncle was slipping away with Alzheimer's disease so I went back one more time to see him. We had two great visits. And this is what I started painting.

I have rightfully taken the role of emcee of our family's memorials. We are dropping like flies. I'd like a chance to sit and reflect in a lonely 4-star hotel room with a bottle of scotch, not that I drink, but to stiffen the upper lip.

Caesar
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I see a tidily dramatic painting as a tribute to and mourning for life and its caducity, in an attempt to calm down and put some order to emotions, feelings and thoughts on glorious past times whose remembrance tiringly crow into the mind in certain moments. Great, spare image and style for a complex and profound meaning.

screenpainter
02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
sorry to hear of the loss and hardship in your family. I have been experiencing similar. with the loss of two nephews, two cousins, my Mom, my sister and my brother has the thing you mentioned about your uncle. my mom and sister also were stricken with that memory stuff and now it's trying to start up with me. not the best of times lately. I wish and pray that you can take a vacation from the emcee job for awhile.

Alexandra
02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Now isn't this something? I too felt the same way when I first opened your painting PD. I could imagine a man with a trench coat and a fedora sitting in the chair...perhaps a shot of bourbon, a lit lucky strike trying to trace footsteps.

So sorry to hear about the family.

Lima
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the family. A very very nice painting PD... a lonely 4-star hotel room with a bottle of scotch...to stiffen the upper lip (and lower lip too) and:(

GZ:(

gxhpainter2
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
PD.. I knew you were down in SD from one of your prior posts.. and it has been awhile..sorry to hear of your families health issues.. this as all have said a remarkable statement. quite a notch up the artistic ladder..my heart goes out and I would love to share a drop of scotch with you anytime..

kenmo
02-04-2012, 06:47 AM
A very cool hotel room for sure....:):):)

mannafig
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the Family dear PD My heart goes out to you.
A great Painting:):)

Juz
02-07-2012, 02:40 AM
This turned out amazing, looks like collage with tissue paper and other mixed media. Beautiful :):)

pat1940
02-07-2012, 05:59 AM
I am so sorry to hear about all your heartaches P.D. such difficult times for you and also Albert, bless you both......your painting is very nice