PDA

View Full Version : "Shack" - my second painting

rcryniak
01-24-2012, 06:22 AM
So, I took another break from work to paint, hoping to improve on my technique a bit. This is my second painting, and I learned alot from the process. As such, my shading technique varies from area to area as I figured out better techniques as I went along. I realize that means inconsistency in technique will probably be apparent, but that's okay, this is a learning piece "just for fun" like the last one. I gotta say, I'm loving the painting process quite a bit - and am wondering how close ArtRage is to using real paint on a real canvas, and if the techniques I'm developing/discovering as I go will translate well to "real world" painting. (Anyone?)

In any case, for those of you that posted on my first painting (the duck at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38499), thank you for the comments & crits. As with that piece, comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged. :D

Anyhoo... hope ya like! ...now to figure out what next to paint. Kinda stumped on that one. Might need a short break to recharge a bit.

pat1940
01-24-2012, 06:43 AM
I like this a lot, great job on that big ole tree, you are doing just fine:):):):):)

gxhpainter2
01-24-2012, 07:02 AM
very nice work.. your tree is exceptional.. the layering of grasses, ivy and trees makes for a nice composition.. and the red/white shack add dramatic color and form to the scene... :):);)

rcryniak
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Thank you both very much. I still can't get over how relaxing and fun it is. I shouldve started painting years ago... oh well. lol

mannafig
01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Beautiful work:):)

jibes
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
looking good! I like what you've done here. Translating to the real world is hard to say.
For me, digital is much easier I reckon because I have much more experience in digital. The fact you can use a color picker and "undo" is what makes digital much easier IMO. However, digital is just pixel dust so converting it to the "real world" could be an issue, but I've always thought I'd cross that bridge if I came to it. After all I just do this for fun.
If you try real watercolor for example you can do it dirt cheap just to see if you like it. Good luck.

Shibui
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
It is wonderful ! U make this newbie look pretty pitiful , but also give me hope. Yes , u should have been painting for years!

MSIE
01-24-2012, 12:29 PM
WOW - what a great painting! :) I love the fact that it looks so real but also shows that it is NOT a photograph but rather a painting. well done!

rcryniak
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much, mannafig, jibes, shibui, and MISE. I appreciate the comments. jibes, you're right in that digital painting offers undo, and a handy dandy color picker... and that definitely feels like "cheating", lol. Aside from those obvious productivity "cheats", I'm wondering if the actual technique used is the same, or if the process is so different that you just can't compare ArtRage to traditional media. The reason I ask is that my sister paints (with paint) and I *know* she's going to comment on digital art being somehow "inferior" because it's not "real paint". If this is a reasonably accurate similuation, then I can tell her with confidence that it's essentially the same thing - just less expensive. ;) Anyhow... thanks again for the comments everyone. :D

coops
01-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Beautiful work with so much in it, well done:)

silvy
01-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Very lovely work:)

rcryniak
01-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Thank you all again for the kind remarks... I think my next painting will be an inside scene with light streaming into the window. Any advice on technique on that? (Particularly the light rays.)

screenpainter
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
That's a beauty.

I believe that artrage has truly helped me sharpen my real medium skills. It gets you to consider the composition and actually teaches you a lot about color. I know mixing paint is more work, but the planning of color that can be done with artrage is invaluable. Will your new found artist translate to the world of real medium? I say, "Yes." But when you do the real world stuff you will find it much harder to whip up a quantity of that perfect sky blue or brown or red. To me that is the only difference is learning to mix paint. The drawing skill and the craftsmanship are the same needed in artrage as required in real medium and you seem to have that going on already. A good eye for detail and composition and color. I believe if you can do it in artrage you will be able to learn how to get what you want in real medium as well. The only thing that may take a bit of learning would be the paint mixing and brush techniques of the different real mediums.

Alexandra
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Such a beautiful painting with exquisite detail!

Caesar
01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Impressively precise and accurate work on the green-red complementary contrast.

rcryniak
01-29-2012, 07:15 AM
That's a beauty.

I believe that artrage has truly helped me sharpen my real medium skills. It gets you to consider the composition and actually teaches you a lot about color. I know mixing paint is more work, but the planning of color that can be done with artrage is invaluable. Will your new found artist translate to the world of real medium? I say, "Yes." But when you do the real world stuff you will find it much harder to whip up a quantity of that perfect sky blue or brown or red. To me that is the only difference is learning to mix paint. The drawing skill and the craftsmanship are the same needed in artrage as required in real medium and you seem to have that going on already. A good eye for detail and composition and color. I believe if you can do it in artrage you will be able to learn how to get what you want in real medium as well. The only thing that may take a bit of learning would be the paint mixing and brush techniques of the different real mediums.

Albert, thanks for the input/advice - I wonder if I couldn't learn that skill by mixing paint on another instance of ArtRage and then use the palette tools to create a palette of my mix? I wonder if that would more closely approximate the experience. I'm not sure how useful such a technique would be in practice, but it's an interesting thought.

rcryniak
01-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Such a beautiful painting with exquisite detail!

Thanks Alexandra!

rcryniak
01-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Impressively precise and accurate work on the green-red complementary contrast.

Thanks Caesar - it's funny - I loved that constrast in colors (which is why I painted it that way) but one of my friends commented that it made the shack look "plastic" - can't please everyone I suppose - but good to know the intentional contrast was noticed by someone so thank you!

damasocl
01-29-2012, 08:01 AM
The textures that you have achieved ​​are excellent, especially in the trunk of the tree ...
Congratulations!:):):)

limey-g
01-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Really good, love that tree and the shading on the roof .
Geoff

Rondo
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I really love!!!! the foliage and specially the tree bark! well done indeed:)

justjean
01-29-2012, 02:41 PM
a lovely painting, the scene is very inviting, the colour is great and that tree is AWESOME :)

screenpainter
01-30-2012, 02:02 AM
I would like to add that I think artrage is more difficult than real medium ever thought of being. but that is jmho. (and real medium probably can't think by itself :rolleyes:.) < why I am not a writer.

rcryniak
01-30-2012, 04:12 AM
The textures that you have achieved ​​are excellent, especially in the trunk of the tree ...
Congratulations!:):):)

Thank you, the big ole' tree was fun to do. I lost count how many times I changed something on it to get it to look just right.

rcryniak
01-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Really good, love that tree and the shading on the roof .
Geoff

Geoff, I'm glad you liked the roof shading - so thank you. It's funny though, that's the one part I think I'd redo if I was to change it, and use the techniques I discovered (quite by accident) when I did the tree trunk. :)

rcryniak
01-30-2012, 04:14 AM
I really love!!!! the foliage and specially the tree bark! well done indeed:)

Thanks Rondo :)

rcryniak
01-30-2012, 04:18 AM
a lovely painting, the scene is very inviting, the colour is great and that tree is AWESOME :)

Jean - thank you so much. I just had a peek at your gallery here, and WOW, your work is very impressive. You're a master at shading!!

rcryniak
01-30-2012, 04:19 AM
and real medium probably can't think by itself :rolleyes:

What if you painted a portrait of Albert Einstein? haha just kidding. ;)

rcryniak
01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Can you see my avatar? (me in a hat?) I tried uploading it, but it said the upload failed - yet I see the pic I uploaded in my avatar. Go figure.