PDA

View Full Version : Sandokan

Caesar
01-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Here's Sandokan the Malaysian Tiger, or a Malaysian pirate out of the fantasy of Emilio Salgari, an Italian book writer who lived across the XIX and XX century.
A TV serial movie was made here in Italy on Sandokan in 1976 and then three more up to the 90ies. The success was incredible and the actor playing that role was tha Indian Kabir Bedi, who became and is most popular here.
The same happened to the music (You may listed to the soundtrack and trailer on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDlcM0Zmzg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDlcM0Zmzg)
if You wish) and to the various commercial gadgets that, quite early as a practice, were sold.

Emilio Salgari, died not yet old at all, suicide, under the pressure of a beloved wife who got crazy, but, mainly, being poor because of the greed of his publishers.
If he wrote in French or in English then, he would have certainly had a great success.
He wrote many adventure books appreciated by boys and youngsters (and grown people as well) and his main two characters and heros are a Malaysian (Sandokan), a pirate fighting against the English colonizers (curiously a nation founded also on piracy, either with pirates and withe corsairs :p) and Tremal Naik, an Indian from Bengala. Quite unusual at those times to have non Europeans to act as the main protagonists and heros in novels not led by some white man.:( Other books were on corsairs (in particular the Black Corsair) and other exotic places and figures.
The amazing thing about Emilio Salgari is that he never travelled abroad, except with his fantasy.
His books were very popular and read by anybody at young age up to my generation.

pat1940
01-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Wonderful work dear Caesar, and very interesting story, thankyou for sharing:):):):):):)

iceaxe
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Such interesting facial expression, you have captured the essence of a personality here

coops
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
A wonderful painting done in your excellent style Cesare:)

jibes
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
This is so well done dear Caesar! You have really incorporated a great expression upon his face that is so believable.

gxhpainter2
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
dear Caesar....an excellent work.. and worthy of the author.. the posing of the figure and flag make for a dramatic moment...

Alexandra
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Wonderful work Cesare, and thank you for sharing this story with us. So sad about the actor...

SCP
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Well done Caesar your Malaysian pirate looks ready for battle!:cool:
Great to see your work again and I enjoyed reading your history lesson as well.;):)

Caesar
01-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank You, dear Pat! For literature, far more than for music and visual art, the place where You was born and when, thus the language and network, makes a very big difference for success. Emilio Salgari had much popularity and success, but isn't known and recognized as he would have deserved.

Dear Iceaxe, Kabir Bedi, who played that part and was indicative reference for this painting, had a very handsome and magnetic personality with a charming touch of exotic appeal on ladies of any age at those times. Thank You!

So pleased to get Your positive comment, dear Katie. Thank You! :)

Ready to fight for his people, isn't he, dear Jibes! Thank You!

Dear Gary, here I decided to use a limited palette mainly based on a toned down contrast between red/ oranges and green/ blues. :)

Actually the sad story was about the author and not the actor, who's fortunately still healthy and in good shape, dear Sandra. :p
Have a look to the trailer if You wish, that music is recharging, I find, and the actor very charming, with a final scene where he acrobatically fights against a tiger! ;) Thank You!

Thank You, dear SCP!
Emilio Salgari was such a creative adventure writer that he could have written many of today movies, similar to and as much enthralling as Caribbean Pirates, Indiana Jones and many more. Moreover he was so curious and open to other countries and cultures (he could not afford to visit) that he did not have, in those old times, an European-American-centric position when he invented his protagonists.
In other words, a quite modern man born a century before, but not an exception since so many other Italians, in those times too, even without or with a just newborn state, were born explorers as in the past. Among them, for instance, Giovanni Battista Belzoni, African explorer and archaelogist who made some of the most important discoveries in Egyptology. I wish Italians of today could be able to resume so many forgotten outstanding examples ...:(

mannafig
01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
This is superb dear Cesare masterfully done:):)

barnburner
01-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Really great work Caesar! :):)

limey-g
01-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Nice one Caesar, great expression.
Geoff

silvy
01-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Nostalgia dei vecchi telefilm?
Kabir Bedi fece una strage di cuori all'epoca. Molto affascinante con quegli occhi profondi e ammalianti,
Davvero un piacevole ricordo, anche se io stavo dalla parte della tigre:p
Un bel lavoro!

Nostalgia for the old TV show?
Kabir Bedi made ​​a killing of hearts at that time . Very charming and enchanting with those deep eyes.
Really a pleasant memory, even if I was on the side of the tiger:p
Good work!

SCP
01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Thank You, dear SCP!
Emilio Salgari was such a creative adventure writer that he could have written many of today movies, similar to and as much enthralling as Caribbean Pirates, Indiana Jones and many more. Moreover he was so curious and open to other countries and cultures (he could not afford to visit) that he did not have, in those old times, an European-American-centric position when he invented his protagonists.
In other words, a quite modern man born a century before, but not an exception since so many other Italians, in those times too, even without or with a just newborn state, were born explorers as in the past. Among them, for instance, Giovanni Battista Belzoni, African explorer and archaelogist who made some of the most important discoveries in Egyptology. I wish Italians of today could be able to resume so many forgotten outstanding examples ...:(

Your very welcome mate!;):) A very interesting character,and you have an amazing amount of interesting facts.I don't think it is just modern day Italy with the problems you speak.:(

AT-TA
01-20-2012, 01:08 PM
As usually Caesar, perfect immage of a person painted:)d and very nice pallette....and work done here.:)

Caesar
01-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Yet another "beast" to tame for Your dark lady, dear Amanda, this tiger pirate ... :p Thank You!

Thank You, dear Barnburner! Maybe he could inspire a new and more exotic novel. :)

A good enough expressivity is always an aim for me painting figure, dear Geoff. Therefore I enjoy Your comment and thank You.

Grazie cara Silvia! In effetti Kabir Bedi era un gran figo, anche se io sono immune allo charme maschile.:p In quel periodo un mio zio, molto simpatico e che un po' somiglia anche al Dr. Robinson , ora che č pių vecchio, lavorava all'estero per l'Agip, Indonesia e poi vari posti africani, era sempre abbronzato e, avendo le ciglia folte e nere, me lo ricordava molto come sguardo e colorito.
Devo dire inoltre che la sigla, forse anche per nostalgia di anni giovanili e passati, continua a caricarmi e rallegrarmi quando la sento.

(Than You dear Silvia! actually Kabir Bedi was a cool dude, even if I'm immune to masculine charme. :p In that period a very simpatico uncle of mine, who looks a little bit also to Dr. Robinson, now that he got older, was working for Agip abroad, Indonesia and several other african places and, being always tanned and having black and thick eyelashes, was alike as for his eyes and skin color.)

Thank You again, dear SCP!

Thank You, dear Anna! I guess You always appreciate to see paintings with a sunnier and hotter climate in this period! :p

Evil Robot
01-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Always enjoy looking at your work. Very nice painting. I'll have to see if I can find these books.

jonwood
01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Another great painting Caesar..:)

MSIE
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I remember Sandokan! :eek: :cool: ... ages ago ... lol

stunning how you managed to make the face look like the "real" one :) well done!

Caesar
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I know his books were translated in the past, but I'm not that sure that todays enormous librarian production made many old books and authors survive in the market, dear Evil Robot. Thank You!

This is almost in line with Your past times characters and actors inspiration and production, dear Jon, although it was successful on this side of the Atlantic. :)

So you sort of made an age revelation I'm afraid, dear MSIE! I also wonder how can You still remind his features that well while I had to give a look to the trailer for refreshing my memory ... :D Thank You!