PDA

View Full Version : Hard Edge work.. ( revised again)

gxhpainter2
12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
for the past several months I have been studying the works of the California Hard Edge painters , trying to understand where they were coming from and thier artistic goals. Prior this I didn't really like their stuff that much but gradually began to like and appreciate their works.... so I am taking an artistic detour ( something one can do if you don't try to make a living at painting ;) ).. and explore this genre.. this is the first foray. I found it wasn't quite as simple as it looks.. so the shift and ctrl keys have replaced the ruler and masking tape.. I am interested in what you think so please feel free to comment...:cool::cool:

oh one more ..I will probably post these into this thread.

new work added.. HE Rhythms1c....chalk, roller and pen..

Alexandra
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Great!!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

iceaxe
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I like the first one, it has a sense of reliability and sturdiness
The second one is almost confusing and duplicitous
(A synaesthetic interpretation)
Very interesting exploration! :eek::cool:

hinket
12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
First one, I immediately thought books on a shelf. (I love books!)
But the second one, my favourite, looks as though there's
diamond stained glass in front of the books,
as if to protect a treasure. :cool:

Caesar
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
It gives me the pleasure of little kids books and geometry school volumes. I like the second one a little more, maybe just because of some more areas with a texture.

gxhpainter2
12-23-2011, 04:23 AM
iceaxe, Alexandra, Caesar and Hinket.. thanks for viewing and commenting. I can see the allusion to books on a shelf. Although the Hard Edge painter did not want any symbolism in their work just pure painting.. when I deviated from flat color and added shadows, roundness and texture to have thing coming forward and receding in the picture plane I think it is natural for people to assess the image as "something" for everyone that "something" is different.. so thanks for your commenting.. I plan to try several more of these types of work and will continue to post them here

jibes
12-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Gary, I like both of them but I vote for the second because the diamond shapes add to the interest. I'm not familiar with the style but to me the composition might be better if the bars were more extremely varied in their width.
Of paintings posted here I often think of how I would perceive it as I entered a room and saw it hanging on a wall prominently displayed. To me no. 2 would have more impact

gxhpainter2
12-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks Neal for taking the time to fill me in on your thoughts.... I really appreciate them and was looking forward to your comments...;) I like the second one more myself as it at first glance looks very mechanical but closer observation shows a lot of "hand touches" . Having more variety in the sizes would setup a more complex rhythm and is one area I will probably explore as I do more of these.. :):):cool:

eighty+
12-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi GX don't no why but felt giddy and a queasy feeling in the stomach

But might b old age :D:D:D

eighty+
12-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Plus I'm up too early :eek::eek:

gxhpainter2
12-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Eighty+.... sorry ...you may want to wear sunglasses while looking at these... they make be a little giddy too.:p

pat1940
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
:):):)Gary, these are great, must agree with most, really like #2 as it is more interesting and has more demention, in fact I could not stop looking at it:D, really like the colors and how drawn I was to the design, great job:):):):):):):):):):):)