PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Brush Sticker Spray presets

Someonesane
12-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been in some discussions, here at the forums, regarding the use of the Sticker Spray as a sketching tool for line work. I created a number of test brushes along these lines, so I've decided to compile them, and share them here. I've packed everything you'll need to use within an ArtRage .arpack. Just download the .arpack from the link below, and then follow the steps listed here to install it's contents into your ArtRage program. Once installed, the sticker can be found in a group called "Sketch Brushes", on the Sticker Panel (though, you'll likely never have a need to use the sticker sheets directly, as they're designed specifically for Spray use), and the Spray Presets can be located in a group called "Sketch Brushes" on the Spray Presets panel.

Here's the link for the .arpack: Download the AR Pack Here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Skecth%20Brushes%20by%20SOS.arpack)

Note: These files are free to use in your artwork, but please do not redistribute them for personal gain (monetary purposes). If you'd like to share them with someone, that's fine, but try to do so through linking back to this thread, if possible. Thank you.

Here's how to install the pack:
1 - Open ArtRage.

2 - Select File > Install Package File.

3 - Browse to the location you saved the .arpack (it's named: Skecth Brushes by SOS.arpack), and open it.

4 - The Install Package panel should now be opened, displaying the various stickers and presets you have to choose from. ArtRage will automatically have them all selected for installation, so simply click on the Install button, located on the bottom of the panel, to install the set.
You can choose to only upload specific sets, but some of the stickers are used for a number of presets, so they aren't all labeled to match. Because of this, it'll be difficult to tell what you'll need for each preset. You can always delete unwanted items from the two folders later on, though.
And so you'll have an idea of what's in the arpack, I've posted a screen shot of the Sticker Spray Preset list, with the type of mark it makes next to the title. It's followed by some example sketches I did with some of the presets. Enjoy!

Steve B
12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
WOW!!

You've really outdone yourself here. This is quite an impressive set of sketching tools and might help flesh out one of the last few media elements that I've felt was missing in Artrage. They're so deceptively simple yet really essential, IMO. Of course, having tried to get some of these effects myself in Artrage I know its anything but simple.

Thank you very much for sharing these. This is.... really cool.

justjean
12-16-2011, 08:55 PM
SOS, Thank You for all your wonderful efforts on our behalf. It is very much appreciated.

JMMK
12-16-2011, 09:00 PM
They are great.
Thank you.

leechie
12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Very Cool Boet :)

Having lots of fun with these, they flow very well.

Steve B
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I tried sketching with these last night, and I have to say, if these had come out as a new set of tools in a new release of Artrage.... I couldn't have been more pleased or impressed. It opens up, IMO, an entirely new (and much needed) element of sketching in Artrage for me. Really wonderful.

Someonesane
12-17-2011, 11:30 AM
WOW!!

You've really outdone yourself here. This is quite an impressive set of sketching tools and might help flesh out one of the last few media elements that I've felt was missing in Artrage. They're so deceptively simple yet really essential, IMO. Of course, having tried to get some of these effects myself in Artrage I know its anything but simple.

Thank you very much for sharing these. This is.... really cool.

I tried sketching with these last night, and I have to say, if these had come out as a new set of tools in a new release of Artrage.... I couldn't have been more pleased or impressed. It opens up, IMO, an entirely new (and much needed) element of sketching in Artrage for me. Really wonderful.

Thank you. I'm happy to hear that they will be of some use to you :D. My current favorites of the bunch are probably: Chalk Style 3i, Oil Stick Inverse 2, and Broken Wax.

SOS, Thank You for all your wonderful efforts on our behalf. It is very much appreciated.

No problem, I hope you have fun with the presets :)

They are great.
Thank you.

Thanks, happy you like them.

Very Cool Boet :)

Having lots of fun with these, they flow very well.

Thank you. Always good hear that someone is having a fun time while drawing :)

screenpainter
12-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Gaeton for all the experimentation time you put in for us and for another set of great sketching variations. lots of options to try. thanks again.

~Alena~
12-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for a great and unified set of very useful tools. :)

Migo
12-18-2011, 08:14 AM
These are great! I love the chalks, and the inverse, oh heck...I love them all :)

hinket
12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks, SOS, I appreciate your generosity in sharing these with us.
I look forward to playing around with them. :D

Chuckart
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Someonesane.

MSIE
12-19-2011, 02:51 PM
thank you Someonesane for this great set of sticker sprays! :)

also, your instructions how to install the .arpack file are easy to follow as usual ;) I just wanted to mention that instead of "open ArtRage / Select File > Install Package File / Browse to the location you saved the .arpack and open it" you just can double click the .arpack file you downloaded ... and ArtRage will open on itself, ready to install the package. :)

Amyas
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
just great!!

Tried to tweak one of them to emulate Painters Real Pencil- did not work properly.
Somehow the application of pen tilt to scale is not enough to achieve the Real Pencil of Painter.
Anyone tried it too?

Rowena
12-20-2011, 09:49 AM
SS, you are great!!!
Love these sketchy textures - huge thanks :D:D:cool:

Someonesane
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
@ Everyone: I'm glad to see that you are all enjoying them. Have fun! :)

just great!!

Tried to tweak one of them to emulate Painters Real Pencil- did not work properly.
Somehow the application of pen tilt to scale is not enough to achieve the Real Pencil of Painter.
Anyone tried it too?

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a tablet with tilt capability (though, this may be changing soon), so I'm unable to try it out. But... Since I haven't really spent any time with the Real Pencil in Painter, I wouldn't know what it's supposed to look/act like, either, lol.

swansong
12-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much for making these, great set.

misterpaint
01-17-2012, 12:32 AM
great??? this is fantastic!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

kenmo
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Look awesome....many thanks for sharing....

cripster
01-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks SOS i've been playing around with a few of the brushes still getting my mind into art mode :)

mikecur
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I must be doing something wrong. I can't change the color of the stroke. All my strokes are red with some yellow orange in them. I'm after a pencil/graphite look, but cannot change the color. Any help would be appreciated.

mikecur
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Don't know what went wrong, but had to uninstall. All my sticker brushes painted only red/orange.:confused:

Someonesane
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
You should be able to adjust the Hue, Saturation, and Luminance using the Color Picker, like any of the other tools. Just to be sure, I double checked all of the preset settings, and they are each set properly. If you haven't already, close ArtRage, and then reopen it, and see if that doesn't fix it.

Someonesane
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
As a test, please download and play the attached script file, to see if the marks being made, change color.

(EDIT) - Okay, here's the script, for you to try out: LINK (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27387217/Preset%20Test.arscript)

JOSEPHINE.EARP
01-18-2012, 05:04 AM
These are BRILLIANT.. Thank you so much for sharing them.Best wishes Jo xx

royblumenthal
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Dude... THANK YOU! These brushes are now my absolute favourite drawing tools! Wow! This resource blows my mind. You're awesome.

Blue skies
Roy

Someonesane
03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
These are BRILLIANT.. Thank you so much for sharing them.Best wishes Jo xx

No problem. Glad you like them :)

Dude... THANK YOU! These brushes are now my absolute favourite drawing tools! Wow! This resource blows my mind. You're awesome.

Blue skies
Roy

screenpainter
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
reiterating what Roy has said, they really are genial. I have been playing with them again. just amazing brushes. enlarging the size of these brushes turns them into sketchbook mobile type brushes with many little textural nuances... they are just wonderful to use.

Steve B
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I have to agree. Easily my favorite tool set in Artrage. You really outdid yourself here. And I too blow them up in size and use them for textural work too-- for dry watercolor work, for example, these are a very good starting point.

I did have a question though-- I was trying to access the Spray Variations on these the other day, and wasn't able to do so. Does that make any sense to you? Is there something I might need to do to make the chart available on these?

I'm looking to slightly alter your Chalk brushes (which I adore), like Chalk Style 2b and/or Chalk Style 3 and make a new variant. I want them to start as you've got them-- light and thinner, getting darker and wider with pressure, but then, I would like (at the uppermost end of pressure) for it to reduce width dramatically but remain very dark. I guess I'm looking for the brush to offer two common usages in one variant-- the rough and wider side usage with some variance in width and opacity that you've already set up wonderfully, but then also a slightly textured edge, where its often used for very dark and thin for detail work (for eyes, or some edging), where I would assume size would invert its ratio relative to pressure.

I saw that you set up some other "inverse" brushes, so clearly some of that's doable, but I was confused about this idea of only switching the pressure/size relationship towards the end of the pressure curve. My idea was you could relate pressure to opacity in a clear upwards fashion across the entire pressure range, just as you have it now; and you would have scale also relate to pressure directly (as you have it now), except when you reached the upper 1/5th? 1/6th? or so, at which point it would switch and become very thin pretty quick, and perhaps thinner and darker the harder you pressed. Can something like that even be done?

Someonesane
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
reiterating what Roy has said, they really are genial. I have been playing with them again. just amazing brushes. enlarging the size of these brushes turns them into sketchbook mobile type brushes with many little textural nuances... they are just wonderful to use.

Happy to see you're enjoying them Albert :cool:

I have to agree. Easily my favorite tool set in Artrage. You really outdid yourself here. And I too blow them up in size and use them for textural work too-- for dry watercolor work, for example, these are a very good starting point.

I did have a question though-- I was trying to access the Spray Variations on these the other day, and wasn't able to do so. Does that make any sense to you? Is there something I might need to do to make the chart available on these?

I'm looking to slightly alter your Chalk brushes (which I adore), like Chalk Style 2b and/or Chalk Style 3 and make a new variant. I want them to start as you've got them-- light and thinner, getting darker and wider with pressure, but then, I would like (at the uppermost end of pressure) for it to reduce width dramatically but remain very dark. I guess I'm looking for the brush to offer two common usages in one variant-- the rough and wider side usage with some variance in width and opacity that you've already set up wonderfully, but then also a slightly textured edge, where its often used for very dark and thin for detail work (for eyes, or some edging), where I would assume size would invert its ratio relative to pressure.

I saw that you set up some other "inverse" brushes, so clearly some of that's doable, but I was confused about this idea of only switching the pressure/size relationship towards the end of the pressure curve. My idea was you could relate pressure to opacity in a clear upwards fashion across the entire pressure range, just as you have it now; and you would have scale also relate to pressure directly (as you have it now), except when you reached the upper 1/5th? 1/6th? or so, at which point it would switch and become very thin pretty quick, and perhaps thinner and darker the harder you pressed. Can something like that even be done?

I'm glad you are enjoying them :)

As for not being able to edit the variations panel, I'm a bit perplexed. I don't know of any reason you wouldn't be able to. It's certainly nothing I did, as I post many of these in order for people to be able to look at them, and see how they work. I wonder if has something to do with pack files? I'll have a look through the manual later on, and see if the AR team put in some type of security block on editing other peoples items. If not, I'm lost :confused:

Steve B
03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't know why it wouldn't work before, but I tried it again, and all is well. The next question is how to do it.

Do you have any pointers for the kind of inverted pressure/ scale relationship I'm looking for at the end of the pressure curve? I've started playing with the settings and I could it find anything to create that experience.

Someonesane
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Hmm... Sounds like you're trying for sin/cos curve, lol. The only option I can think of (which I did implement, in a small extent, to some of these brushes), is to edit the stickers themselves, and use them as a means to increase, or decrease, the amount of coverage they offer. It'd take a lot of tinkering, though, and I'm not sure if it'd be entirely worth the effort.

Steve B
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, I thought I might as well check. Never can hurt to ask. :)

Astrila
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you so much! Love the dull tip pencil 2, my stylus actually feels like a dull tipped pencil. :)

SimonLeBonBon
04-21-2012, 01:54 AM
These are fantastic, I'd go as far to say that They should be added to the next update. Thank you!

Steve B
04-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Haha! I have to agree. They're essential to my work in Artrage, and they express a whole set of real media that Artrage wasnt really doing yet-- rough pencils and whatnot that express a varied and expressive line weight through pressure. In Artrage, you either get very good clean sketchers or nice big textural tools like chalk. Those are both great, but these fill another niche. If Artrage is able to get the Sticker Sprays to relate to texture in the next release, that'll be a big deal. That would bring these up to even another level!

Weeks
04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Great Tools, Someonesane :)
Thank you

Best,

Weeks

SimonLeBonBon
04-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Haha! I have to agree. They're essential to my work in Artrage, and they express a whole set of real media that Artrage wasnt really doing yet-- rough pencils and whatnot that express a varied and expressive line weight through pressure. In Artrage, you either get very good clean sketchers or nice big textural tools like chalk. Those are both great, but these fill another niche. If Artrage is able to get the Sticker Sprays to relate to texture in the next release, that'll be a big deal. That would bring these up to even another level!

Ah yes, sticker spray relating to texture would be the icing on the cake. That along with more advanced transforms ( and 64bit support ) would most likely make artrage my go to for anything I do non vector.

Steve B
04-22-2012, 02:30 AM
The other things I was thinking of was to get Sticker Sprays to blend or mix paint as they do with the native Artrage tools. I'll put these ideas in the Suggestion thread.

SimonLeBonBon
04-22-2012, 09:18 AM
The other things I was thinking of was to get Sticker Sprays to blend or mix paint as they do with the native Artrage tools. I'll put these ideas in the Suggestion thread.

Absolutely, that would be amazing.

Boxy
05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Stunning set good sir! :)

Gaia
06-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Thank you so much, this is the first time I downloaded to the sticker spray tool and I'm so happy I managed to install them. They are wonderful to draw with, especially the soft sketch brush. This is so great!

Jules
10-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks very much, im going to have hours of fun using these. So.. :cool:

Jules
10-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you..........

Is that enough? hehe :cool:

Someonesane
10-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you..........

Is that enough? hehe :cool:

It'll do... lol.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the presets.

DragoTayla
11-14-2013, 09:16 PM
You have a lot of talent and I hope to make good use of your brushes thank you

Kyle
12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
FANTASTIC!

Can't wait to try these out!

THANK YOU! :)

2wx
12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Fantastic! Thanks a LOT!

Rachelle
02-07-2015, 01:45 PM
:) SOS :)

Thank you for sending me here from your pencil kit thread!
Thank you kindly!

...now gotta start selling some paintings to get a pen&touch thingy, to make the most of these beautiful bountiful tools...

:D :D :D :D :D

charbythedesert
02-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much. These are lovely! Having a wonderful time playing with them.:cool:

lensman
03-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Never really wanted to download "stickers" before but the 'sketch brush' in title intrigued me. Damn these are good. Hope I remember to look in the stickers presets when I want to do some sketching.

Someonesane
03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm happy to see that my presets are getting some good use :cool:

Essemmgee
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Thank you SomeoneSane

Delofasht
04-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the assortment of sketching brushes, I shall be looking at their setting in particular as I'm trying to create a custom sheet for a very specific kind of fan brush at the moment and figuring out how to do so with the sticker spray. I'll get it I'm sure. . . just gotta figure out how the sheets are mapped when applying the tilt in various ways.