PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel

Saphire
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I am posting two paintings of a Kestrel one done in oil and one done with just the Airbrush. I can't quite get all the detail right using oils so thought I would try with airbrush. I know I can paint mammals but having a hard job doing feathers on birds.:(
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7022/6396327009_9e42b825b3_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6396324597_17a201884c_z.jpg

Reniklaf
11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Full frontal is a vey difficult pose for birds but you have done very well. Try a three quarter front view or even full profile, I think it shows the bird to better advantage.
Reniklf :)

Saphire
11-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Thank you Reniklaf, I took the photo a couple of years ago through my kitchen window, :D

gxhpainter2
11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Saphire... you are an amazing artist... this birds are stunning each has it's own subtle character... I think the airbrush has better feathers although the difference is quite minimal ... I really look forward to seeing each new work from you!.

Saphire
11-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank you gxhpainter for your very kind comment.

JMMK
11-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I donít like the first better than the second.

I LOVE THEM BOTH, each in its own way.

Very well done.

limey-g
11-26-2011, 03:44 AM
They are both really good Saphire but if I was asked to choose I think I would pick the first one because of the better detail in the top of head feathers.
Love the background colours.
Geoff

Saphire
11-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Thank you JMMK and Limey-g for your very encouraging comments.:D

justjean
11-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Christine, I have been studying both birds and I like each equally , they are both wonderful :) :)

Tony867
11-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Two fantastic paintings Christine and it would be difficult to select a favourite!

The Kestrel is a beautiful bird and you have captured it really well. Have seen many of your photos on Birdforum - well done!

Saphire
11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Thank you Jean, Tony for your much appreciated comments.

mochuelin
03-21-2013, 02:56 AM
The first is good, but lacks detail, you must work at a much higher zoom, I prefer the second, but it seems to be wet, is a female kestrel. A bird that is always a pleasure to watch and even greater draw.

I would like to show you my own version of this bird, but it's out of AR, because I did it with pencils. I'll try, but I expect you don't give up painting birds, as i can see you can do it!!!

Saphire
03-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Thank you mochuelin for taking a look, your input is much appreciated.
I will keep practicing with the different tools on the Ipad as its my preferred method for doing the paintings. I haven't any mammals to paint at the moment so I will sit and practice.

kenmo
03-21-2013, 03:57 AM
A masterful job...:cool::cool::cool::cool:

jibes
03-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Excellent both Saphire. You done good!

copespeak
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
The first one for realism, he's chunky and lovely. The second is a little warped and unusual. Both have merits, for sure.

Play around with your blender settings. Take the pressure right down so you can blend in increments. And you don't have to use all oil.

:)

pat1940
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Christine, cannot choose the best, I think both are so well done, you are a champion of all animals

Saphire
03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Thank you kenmo, jibes, copespeak and pat for your much appreciated comments. I still think I have a lot to learn about doing the feathers and keep looking at mochuelins work to spur me on.

Caesar
03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Once again I cannot see Your paintings I'm afraid. It's something I still have to explain because I can usually do. I bet they're stunning as usual though.

D Akey
03-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Nice to see your work again!

As to feathers, and your having learned how to do fur, I think perhaps one of the challenges it to think in terms of masses and the overall shapes first and then detail them. Feathers have different qualities as you know from fluffy and shapeless to stiff and directionally articulated. Add to that the idea of patterning you have some interesting qualities to address when rendering birds.

What a fun little shot. You must live in a relatively natural setting to have shot this one out the window. You'll also have to work on your bird calls to get them to come around to pose for you. As was suggested, all else being equal, the right pose, when you can manage it, really does improve your chances for an easy painting where the shapes read well and so on. But this one is from the heart and it is how the little blighter presented themselves.

You'll figure plumage out I have no doubt. You're very skilled. Go Lass Go!!!!!!

pai
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello Saphire, I so admire your dedication on all your so detailed and professional animal paintings especially those furs. I think it will take me ages to learn to do that (as my eyes can't really focus on very small pixel that much even I try to enlarge it) .haha. And I have been following your WIP Cougar thread http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?42771-WIP-Cougar-(iPad), it's so amazing great works. Thanks for showing us and sharing your great wild animals. I love to see them a lot. :)

byroncallas
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Excellent work. I've a strong leaning to the one on top. On my screen, it seems the most thoroughly realized and real. The bottom one seems slightly "plasticized" The first one is the knock-out for me. Really lovely. Great work.

Saphire
03-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Thank you Caesar, I can't understand why you can't see the picture.

Thank you D Akey, I am finding it very difficult to get the look I want on the ipad, I could copy how mochuelin does his birds but then it wouldn't be my own technique which is what I want to do.
I do live in a rural area so have lots of wildlife around me, one day I might do a painting of the house.

Thank you pai for your very kind and welcome comment. I am partially sighted and only have peripheral vision so can only see sections of the work I am doing. I can only see the whole of the paintings if I zoom right out, then I can't see any detail.

Thank you byroncallas for your kinsd comment, its much appreciated.

coops
03-25-2013, 12:44 AM
That so beautiful, well done:)