PDA

View Full Version : Sketches.

shugmonkey
11-19-2011, 12:46 AM
I only got ArtRage last night but glad I found it. I got fed up with other software and loved the feel and look of the pens in ArtRage.

I've only done sketches at the moment and it was one of the main reason for getting ArtRage. I will, in time move over to colour work.

For now here are a few sketches I've done.

coops
11-19-2011, 01:44 AM
These sketches are very very good and looking forward to seeing more from you Shugmonkey, I am sure that you will have lots and lots of fun with Artrage as it is so addictive:) Welcome to the forums

Strandy
11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Very nice sketches! The way you draw their faces is just spectacular. I noticed an unique approach which could be called modeling, if it wasn't 2D. Noses are the best example of it.

gxhpainter2
11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
great sketches...are they for a game/book illustration or just for the fun of it..??

shugmonkey
11-19-2011, 10:21 AM
@coops. Thank you very much.

@Strandy. Thanks Strandy. I've never thought of it like that before. Interesting.

@gxhpainter. Thanks mate. No these are just for fun and to get into ArtRage.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Here are some more I've done today.

Caesar
11-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Excellent style and inked drawings!

Docsmith626
11-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Love the Habsburg two-headed turkey. :D

shugmonkey
11-20-2011, 12:39 PM
@Caesar. Thank you very much :)

@Docsmith626. lol :D It's actually Byzantine on this pic. But the German Holy Roman Empire used it one similar.

One more:

scribbledsoul
11-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Wow, this is great work! Very finely done, and you have a very creative eye. Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your new software and have fun around here! :)

coops
11-21-2011, 02:59 AM
More great artwork, well done again:)

Steve B
11-21-2011, 06:07 AM
I agree. These are a joy to look at. There's a tasty shift in line weight- how you're using it with the form. I also like how clean the objects are in the interior --you're really working on the form as a whole--, and yet, there's a little scratchy line work going on here and there for texture, etc. There's also a nice "wobbliness" to lines that could have been renderred very smooth and straight. The use of negative space is also nice, particularly in the image of the woman sitting/kneeling before the sun god, though I like the integration of negative space into fabrics and objects too, such as the black hoods of the creepy guys above the woman, the woman's hair to the left (seen from the very low angle), or the circular shield.

You very much have your own style. How long have you been doing this sort of work, out of curiosity? It's interesting to see how long an artist takes to get to this very "specific" point, where their work is very clearly their own.

shugmonkey
11-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying the software big time. It was what I've been looking for, for ages. So fast and easy to use.

@Steve B. Thanks for taking time to comment. I've got back into sketching because it was something I missed. I'm a freelance Illustrator Steve so most of the time is taken up doing other peoples stuff.

I love just plain black and white artwork now and then.

One of the main reasons I got ArtRage was to take me back into the "me time" of things and do some sketching. I really must play around with the colour side of the software next though. But I'm having a lot fun :D

To answer your question Steve. I've been doing art since I could pick up a pencil. It's the only thing I can do lol

Thanks again.

Two more pics I did today.

sabena
11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi shugmonkey

Your sketches are very good and you have a special style for them:)

shugmonkey
11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Thank you sabena :)

kenmo
11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Outstanding sketches.... I take it you were a fan of comics or fantasy stuff when growing up?? (as was I)

shugmonkey
11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Outstanding sketches.... I take it you were a fan of comics or fantasy stuff when growing up?? (as was I)

Thanks kenmo and yes I was. They still are yet to make a bloody decent conan film to give the comics justice :P Actually I've not seen the new one lol :D

justjean
11-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Wonderful sketching

Steve B
11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
The style reminds me a bit of Cerebus, with the clean open white spaces, and a bit of Moebius, with the heavier external lives. They also remind me of certain older Conan illustrations. Fun stuff!

Btw, who might you list as influences? That'd be interesting to know and peruse ...

shugmonkey
11-22-2011, 12:01 AM
@Justjean: Thank you.

@Steve B: Sorry Steve I see what you mean now.

You've mentioned 3 things there that I've liked over time. Cerebus was one of the comics I used to look at in my teens. I used to be blown away by it. Mobius is another artist I've liked and respected too.

Other influences are Winsor Mccay, Jacques Tardi, Milo Manara, Egon schiele and Aurbrey Beardsley. Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Baroque too.

I sometimes used thick or thin lines. The reason for the sketches was to get back into the detail of things. In some cases more lifelike at times.

Some examples of my work:

Thin line work.
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/page12.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/cryosmall.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/fant1.jpg

Thick lines.
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/1.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/69.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/4.jpg

And in my spare time I play around with scrappy and quick art.
And I think ArtRage is going to give me a lot of fun in this area over
time.

http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/75.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/adham2.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/gallery/images/ww1soldier.jpg

AT-TA
11-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Theese are very good.... and welcome in the group. :)

Caesar
11-22-2011, 10:04 PM
I confirm my most admired appreciation of Your works and style. You must be a professional comics author or You should!

shugmonkey
11-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Thank you AT-AT and also for the welcome.

Thanks again Caesar.

I'm working on a personal comic at the moment actually. Not a fantasy one though. It's a comedy horror story. It's set in England in the late 80's during the Acid House period. I've drawn it in a very cartoon like way. Just need time to finish it.

I better not put any pictures of the actual comic pages up because it they have lot of swearing on them. But here are some pics of the characters etc.

http://www.shugmonkey.com/dirtybuzz/dirtybuzz.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/dirtybuzz/ted.jpg
http://www.shugmonkey.com/dirtybuzz/kevin.jpg

Caesar
11-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I wish and think this comics's gonna be publishe and become a success. The few vignette shown in here look very professional and Your tasty style has much personality and it's very recognizable I think.

Docsmith626
11-25-2011, 09:21 AM
After watching several episodes of Tourchwood. I can safely say a cricket bat makes a handy weapon. :D Will this comic be published on the web?

kenmo
11-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Outstanding sketches... Love 'em all....

shugmonkey
11-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks folks. I need to finish the comic off. I'm over half way there now but it's finding time to get it done. You know how it is.

I wish I had been aware of Artrage before I started the comic. Would have been great to use. I'll make sure to use it on another comic sometime.

Of course you guys get Torchwood too don't you. The trusty old cricket bat.

Yes I probably will put it up on the net for people to download.

Here are two new Sketches done in Artrage. Conan sketches.

shugmonkey
11-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Another one on the Conan world theme.

Caesar
11-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Conan is a character I liked when I was a youngster and is still a pleasure to look at illuistrations with him. Once again very neat and enjoyable drawings!

shugmonkey
11-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Conan is a character I liked when I was a youngster and is still a pleasure to look at illuistrations with him. Once again very neat and enjoyable drawings!

Thanks Caesar and yes the Conan world is great isn't it :)

I've started to colour in sketches now.

L Skylar Brown
11-27-2011, 03:48 AM
You do Absolutely Marvelous work!

shugmonkey
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
You do Absolutely Marvelous work!

Thank you very much Mr Brown :)

Here's a new one.

leechie
11-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Very cool work, definitely a different style.

screenpainter
11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
love your attention to details... very professional looking work. admirable work. very finely illustrated.
I have a real affinity for the ones that get more painterly as well. beginning with the graffiti girl with heart tattoo and the adham guy with cape and the ww1 soldier. for me they have a real warmth texture and style that I love. while I appreciate the technical skills of the more vector work, these three move me more emotionally with their warmth and style.

Caesar
11-29-2011, 11:14 PM
New arrivals in this marvels harbour! Great!:):cool:

mannafig
11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
You have a superb thread here Shugmonkey. Your work is amazing
really love your style.:):)

shugmonkey
11-30-2011, 11:05 AM
@leechie, Caesar and mannafig thank you very much :)

@screenpainter: First off thank you for the kind comments. You know the more scrappy ones I find more fun to do. I agree with you that way of working add more life etc to them.

Two new ones. More scrappy and fast style this time. Just love how Artrage is quick to use.

shugmonkey
11-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I just did this one after posting the other two above.

Teriodin
11-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Excellent drawings. I am always envious of people who can make something look so detailed, yet still leave so much out! (I always struggle to get away from photorealism in my work - too long spent with coloured pencils over the years I think :D )

I particularly enjoyed the art nouveau style juxtaposed with the modern items, like the car keys and stereo. Great touch, keeping the original speaker horn on top. The "El 'orence" pic on the wall made me smile too.

You have a pretty unique style.

shugmonkey
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Excellent drawings. I am always envious of people who can make something look so detailed, yet still leave so much out! (I always struggle to get away from photorealism in my work - too long spent with coloured pencils over the years I think :D )

I particularly enjoyed the art nouveau style juxtaposed with the modern items, like the car keys and stereo. Great touch, keeping the original speaker horn on top. The "El 'orence" pic on the wall made me smile too.

You have a pretty unique style.

Hi Teriodin, Thanks for the kind comments.

We all have our own way of working. Sometimes it's good to step out of the box and try a different approach.

You say you struggle at times to get out of the photo realism mode. Step out of your comfort zone and approach it from a different angle. Photo realism is very controlled and precise. Look at what you're going to draw and then just draw the essence of it.

Instead of getting every fold and crease on the clothes exact. Go with emotion and freedom. If it doesn't work then at least you had a go.

Yes I like to mix things in like that. I call it an old fashioned future.

Old T.E eh. Now there's a character. Ever been to his house at Clouds Hill?

screenpainter
12-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Great touch, keeping the original speaker horn on top. The "El 'orence" pic on the wall made me smile too.

side note: I thought it was Rudolph Valentino as the Sheik. T.E. Lawrence works too I guess.

Like the new additions to the thread as well.

Caesar
12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I cannot by confirm that Your style and drawings are utmost enjoyable.
I wonder how You get such clean and neat lines and campiture (areas with about the same color/ tone) as well as to get subtle color nuances and transitions. Maybe a good or professional tablet may be of help better than my very cheap one, but I believe Your mastery counts very much there.

shugmonkey
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
@screenpainter:You're right it is old Rudolph.

@Caeser: Thanks again. I use a Wacom Cintiq. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay a couple of years ago and the seller didn't really know what they had. I got it for less than half the price you could it in a shop for.

Before that just a standard A5 Wacom tablet. The lines were the same. I've tried other brands but the tracking etc on Wacom always were good.

Evil Robot
12-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Very much enjoying your unique style great stuff. I myself having worked on graphic novels and cartoon understand the long hours it takes to make this kind of work. Wonderful job!

shugmonkey
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Very much enjoying your unique style great stuff. I myself having worked on graphic novels and cartoon understand the long hours it takes to make this kind of work. Wonderful job!

Cheers mate. Some take longer than others as you know. But since I got ArtRage my workflow has doubled.

Two new ones I did tonight.

I-BRDP
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm really impressed! Bravo!!!

jibes
12-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Art! A little too dark for me but extremely well done!

gxhpainter2
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
shug.... what a great thread.... I sometimes get busy at work and don't have time to explore all the new people.. but as many of the senior artists here have said your work is unique and technically excellent... I found it interesting that you use the Cintiq ... do you find it better that say the wacom intuos 4? or just a different work flow?.... love your stuff...:cool::cool::cool:

fornes
12-02-2011, 03:12 AM
I really like your work Shugmonkey! The linework is very playful ... just love it!! Think I have to try to copy it :):):)

shugmonkey
12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
@jibes: Thank you very much :)

@gxhpainter: Thank you for the kind comments. The reason I got a Cintiq was because it made it feel closer to drawing on paper. That's because it's in front of you on the table.

What you draw on the tablet you see as if it was on paper. Plus I like to get close when I'm drawing. I use my Monitor to check colour so it's the best of both worlds.

I'm fine with the other tablets though and have used them for many years now. Great things they are :D

@fornes: Thanks also. Be my guest :)

Two new ones:

shugmonkey
12-07-2011, 06:21 AM
A Few new scrappy ones.

That last two pics of the men are politicians here in the UK. Just in case people outside of the UK didn't know who they were.

shugmonkey
12-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Opps! missed this one.

shugmonkey
12-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Alex the Droog :)

Teriodin
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Excellent work again, Shug :D

I hope some of this unique style of yours is going to make its way into a graphic novel?

screenpainter
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
amazing new additions to your drawings. awesome work.

Caesar
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm utmost delighted by these drawings. References to Mechanical Orange and to Fornes' style are cery interesting and all of them are high quality artpieces. Thank You again for sharing Your marvelsand make our fantasy travel!

shugmonkey
12-09-2011, 04:51 AM
@Teriodin: Thanks. Yes one day I will finish a graphic novel..one day lol :D

@screenpainter and Caesar: Thanks again for the kind words :)

pat1940
12-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Great work, like it a lot:):):)

shugmonkey
12-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Great work, like it a lot:):):)

Thanks Pat! :)