PDA

View Full Version : Follow The Sun

barnburner
10-29-2011, 07:48 AM
A segment from chapter one of my next novel, Follow the Sun (A rewrite of "Moving West".)
------------------------
When I said my last tearful goodbyes to my mother, then reluctantly finished filling in her grave, I was but seventeen years old. Sean Eaton was my name, and I was too young for what faced me, but I had been left with no other options. After the last bit of dirt had been tossed onto her grave, I tossed the shovel aside, and looked over the tiny plot of land that had served as my family's farm for more years than I had been alive.

Other than growing the beautiful flowers that my mother had tended with constant attention, it was a poor excuse for a farm in any man's estimation. It was too small, and the ground too poor, to produce even enough to provide for our own family, much less provide anything to sell.
Katherine Eaton had been a beautiful woman with flaming red hair and emerald green eyes, respected all around county Kerry as a woman of great kindness. Years of battling an unproductive farm, worrying about her missing husband, and fearing for the future of her children, had taken it's toll. When my eight year old sister drowned in a nearby river, I saw the last remnants of my mother's spirit crumble in front of my eyes. A year later, I stood by her grave, now the only surviving member of this family.
As storm clouds gathered overhead, I looked down the road, my eyes straining in search of a miracle, hoping to see my father returning home to take charge. Face to face with a type of fear I'd never known before, I realized I must deal with the world's problems without benefit of a parent's guidance. A shiver ran down my back as cold raindrops began to fall from the darkening clouds. The shower soon turned into a downpour, with the chilling rain soaking me to the skin. Ignoring the discomfort, I refused to abandon my vigil, as hopeless as I knew it to be. At least an hour passed before I turned and looked once more upon mother's grave. A few minutes later, with both tears and raindrops rolling down my face, I walked to our cottage, now ready to accept the burden of my future.

mannafig
10-29-2011, 09:00 AM
A moving insight into Sean's early life dear Mike I am looking forward to more of this as it comes:):)

justjean
10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Great beginnings Barn, will be watching for updates

EB
10-29-2011, 01:06 PM
barnburner nicely done

coops
10-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Great painting Barnburner and a great start to the book too.:)

barnburner
10-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Amanda - Thank you. I'm so happy that you liked it. :):)
Jean - I truly appreciate that. Thanks. :):)
EB - Thanks a lot. Truly appreciated. :):)
Katie - Thank you so much for your kind words. :):)

kenmo
10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Excellent work...!!!!

gxhpainter2
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
BB... a captivating story and great visual ( painting )....really nice... can I expect to hear your books on Audible any time soon ??:):);)

barnburner
10-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Ken - Many thanks. :):)

gxh - Thank you. You know I hadn't even thought about audible, but maybe I'll see what I can find out about what's involved. Thanks for the idea. :):)

sabena
10-31-2011, 12:42 AM
hi barnburner

it is realy raining very realistic and wonderful:)

Caesar
11-02-2011, 04:58 AM
This guy looks much like You from rear! :D Your techniques are always evolving and get more and more impressive and original!