PDA

View Full Version : Kb-1

gxhpainter2
10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I recently found out about a great west coast painter named Karl Benjamin. A self taught artist ( my hero !)... and was very inspired by his work..
see here:
http://www.louissternfinearts.com/newsite/artist_pages/k_benjamin/K_benjamin_images.html

Hope you find my musings on his work interesting.. please leave a comment if you are moved to do so..:):)

D Akey
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Interesting take on his stuff. I didn't go deeper than the front page of the link cause I looked at his stuff a little on google search and this front page looked a lot like those so I assume the hard simple shapes are what he's about. Is that how you see it?

So how do you see his work influencing this one? I mean what did you pick up from him (which ideas, look etc)?

Interesting. :):):)

kenmo
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Cool stuff...!!!!

Caesar
10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Reminding me a kid platform videogame scene, thus making my subconscious part rejoice as a reflex!

pat1940
10-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Gary, when I opened up this one, I seem to automatically flip this up, and I seen a very colorful artist with a canvas under his arm, I quess my brain is upside down today:D:D:D:Dvery nice work:):):):):)

gxhpainter2
10-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Pat, Kenmo, and Caesar... thanks for viewing and leaving a comment, always a source of pleasure to get your take on the painting.

DAkey.. well Karl B's influence is minimally evident in this particular painting but I did start with hard edge smooth shapes, and colors. I wanted then to add a voice and character to each shape ( each was on a separate layer ) and get a synthesis of brushed textures lying over a more geometrical underpainting. I guess I was more impressed with his background ( had a full time teaching career for 30 years, ) and being self taught.. nice to know that such a person can create work that is recognized by the larger art world.. I am not at the point that he arrived at where the colors work to provide a contemplative space and only needed the simplest of forms... not sure that is where I am going but I appreciate what he did... I am still working as a symbolist ( like Klee, and Miro among others) a colorist ( Karl B ) and some decorative slants ( Gustav Klimt).. I will take some time to let Karl Benjamin's influence work it way fully into my work...