PDA

View Full Version : Lin Chi-ling (watercolor)

ritchblack
10-25-2011, 04:02 PM
i tried to make a watercolor portrait. The girl is a famous model in Taiwan, Lin Chi-ling, made in ArtRage 3.5. hope you like it!:)

D Akey
10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Lovely and delicate. Well done!

ritchblack
10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
thanks, D Akey :)

EB
10-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Quite nice

Earle

Caesar
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
You may bet You fully succeeded in a quite difficult task such as to portray this outstanding beauty with AR watercolors. Bravo!

screenpainter
10-25-2011, 10:39 PM
you have surely captured her beauty in a splendid portrait... very delicate in watercolor as well.

ritchblack
10-25-2011, 10:53 PM
EB, Caesar and screenprinter. Thanks for taking time to stop by and the kind comments.:)

mannafig
10-26-2011, 04:06 AM
A beautiful painting of a very beautiful model you really done a fine job of capturing her delicate features:):)

gxhpainter2
10-26-2011, 04:22 AM
a very accomplished work and I would agree with all previous comments., a delicate beauty captured very well in a difficult medium..:):):cool:

pat1940
10-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Like it, I love it, a beautiful, delicate portrait and model, wonderful job:):):):)

Steve B
10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
I agree, it's quite nice-- you've done a great job softly blending colors and tones on the body. I like the little touches of "water" on the edges of her hair. That stops it from being too "perfect", which I like.

Some thoughts for exploration-- you could push the darks in the shadows more, I think-- particularly in areas like under the chin, under the armpit, back in the nooks of the ears, under the breast, in the deep folds of the dress, that sort of thing. It's not much, but this will give the body even more depth. I think your light shadows are already very nice and smooth, so it's really about using the full spectrum of value to give more depth than it is about "shadows in general."

I also think the portrait might benefit from a colorful or ambient background-- it'll give something for the body and dress to play off of, and you can use the colors and textures to your benefit, to be expressive. It'll also make her lower jawline and upper left shoulder really "pop" as they're both very light in value, and might benefit from having something darker to be set against. It's just a thought. Some watercolor pieces are simply left on a white background of course. !

It's worth pondering if you want to add some very light shadows to places like the edges of the eyes, as they round out to the corners, as well as on the edges of the teeth, as they round their form out as well. Nothing drastic, something very pale, but it will help those round object show their true shape more completely.

All of those things are really about details, as I think the paints really very good in general-- I'd just like to be helpful. The only section of the piece that feels "unfinished" is the dress. I want darker shadows in the folds, and perhaps some type of very delicate textural quality to the cloth. How to get that? I'm not sure!! LOL. But it might be worth experimenting on a new layer with layer textures, for example, above the existing cloth to see what kind of results you might get.

All in all, despite all of that, I think it's a very fine painting. You've done particularly well on the face-- the eyes and the shading on the nose and cheeks is very well done. The mouth is also very nicely done. I find teeth terribly hard to do. You've done an excellent job giving them definition (she clearly has perfect teeth), without overdoing the darkness of the lines/shadows in between each tooth. I like the bit of dark shadow you added at the edges of the mouth, where the teeth disappear, as well as to the underside of her hair-- it's these sorts of dark, detailed shadows that will really add to the rest of the portrait.

BTW, if you revise it and want to share it again, I've opened up a Watercolor WIPs thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37316&page=3) that's on page 2 or 3 of the gallery-- it's meant to be for us all to share in and learn from. It'd very cool to see this work in it, with some explanation of how you achieved your very good results. I think there's really something here for others of us to learn from. Thanks for sharing!! And I hope my comments were constructive and helpful.

Tony867
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
a delicious watercolour Ritchblack, well done!

S5T68IS2TA
10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
More than like it.. Your art talent is rich in everyway judging by this w/c alone. Nicely done ritchblack

ritchblack
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
mannafig, gxhpainter, pat1940, Tony867 and S5T68IS2TA. i'm glad that you all like it and thanks for the comments :)

Steve B, thank you for the helpful comment. its really helpful! :) i tried many times to experiment in ArtRage to express the delicate quality of watercolor precisely. But i know i'm afraid to put heavy darks in the shadow. i think its the reason why my works always look like color pencil more but not watercolor. i really need to be brave to put more darks in the shadow:)

And the background. yes, i agreed that the body will benefit from the background. its the key skill in watercolor to make the main subject more obvious and clear. keeping white space is too.

More layers, yes, how did u know i use only one layer to finish it, lol ~~ it made me crazy to handle the blending of colors and to express the feeling of watercolor. i'll try to use more layers to experiment.

And thanks for the invitation. the thread you opened will be helpful to all of us. i'll try my best to join it(sorry for my poor english). thank you~

Steve B
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Ha! Well, if you did it all on one layer, then I'm even more impressed! :D To me, that's ballsey, as I like to use layers. ;p One of the key benefits of digital over natural media is the amount of control you have with digital art-- of course, I also think that's the great problems to watch out for.

If you used a few layers, then you could try things out and not have to be so concerned about failure. You could try some abstract washes of colors and textures, for example, in the background, and not have to worry about making it "match" the shape perfectly of the model, or whether the colors will go. You can throw it down and see what it does, then erase it if you don't like it.

Similarly, you can lay down your darker shadows on a new layer, then blend them out. I think some people feel like this is cheating somehow, but the truth is that I think it actually emulates the process of painting with watercolors better-- because with natural media, you can lay down a color and (relatively speaking) lift it if you made a mistake. If you put all your colors on one layer, you can't lift your mistakes because you'll erase everything in that area. It's then actually less forgiving, IMO, then natural media, if you use only one layer. That's what I say to myself anyways..... ::chuckle::

Also, remember, if you're going to put darker shadows in, they tend to have a bit more blue in them. They're not just "browner" shades of skin tone, although that's in there too.

Anyways, I think the piece is great. And if this is you "dabbling" with Artrage, I'm really looking forward to what you'll be doing.

ritchblack
10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you, Steve B:), your explanation about layers in digital watercolor painting releases me.:) i always have guilty feeling to use layers !! :cool:

Adding blue in dark shadows ...its really a usful suggestion, i'll try it on my future pieces. Thank you!!

coops
10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Beautiful and delicate painting well done:)

byroncallas
10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Really is quite a nice piece.

ritchblack
10-27-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks. coops and byroncallas:)