PDA

View Full Version : Crystalline Trance.

gxhpainter2
10-23-2011, 06:45 AM
crystalline hard edges with lots of patterns and texture...almost left it alone with flat color but got caught on adding lines and brushwork.. was originally 9 layers.:):) .. inspired by Anugama's "Shamanic Dream" if anyone listens to that genre of music..

byroncallas
10-23-2011, 08:34 AM
It's compelling Gary - I like that you somehow managed to balance these compelling and competing shapes in a meaningful harmony. Nice work. :)

pat1940
10-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Wow Gary , my mind is boggled again, this really pops out, what a great creation, love it, wonderful colors:):):):):):):):):):)

gxhpainter2
10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Byron and Pat.... I am pleased you like this...and thank you for stopping by.;)

screenpainter
10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I like the balance and the color harmonies as well. This one has a very calming aesthetic almost an Asian sensibility to it. I suppose considering the music maybe it leans more toward African design. or perhaps a synthesis of the two sensibilities. Very nice Gary.

D Akey
10-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Sir GXHPainter of Argyle. Not sure whether to grab me longsword of me martini.

Just a wee bit out of my reach since, by contrast, the other ones you've done of late have shown such great design work. This one's a little weaker on that count. I am only saying this because the others are so strong. And again, take this with a grain of salt because I'm doing a drive by crit based on first impressions.

Admire your process though, and there's no mistake about that either.

screenpainter
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
And if one sat down to an African meal and this were the place mat, one would say, "how lovely." Kind of like Paul Simon being influenced by the rhythms of other music. Sometimes we need to step out of the narrow confines of our own prejudices in art and culture. Makes for a broader range of appreciating art. Just ask Herb and Dorothy Vogel. So glad I don't have to visit the home of an art critic. I would much rather visit the home of an artist or see a collection of art by appreciators like the Vogels.
Personally, I like it when you are unshackled by the restraints of what we expect from you or what you have done in the past. Just my two cents. :)

gxhpainter2
10-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Albert... thanks both your comments.. they are heartfelt and VERY encouraging to me... it is difficult sometimes to leave the comfortable and push oneself to risk and try things that maybe marginal... but in the true spirit of play it is a necessary thing to do.

Mr D Akey... LOL I guess there is a bit of a homage to my Scottish-English heritage and to the house of Argyle.. I appreciate your drive by as well... and we could stop and savor a good martini anytime:cool::cool::D

D Akey
10-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Whose house I would choose to be in would entirely depend on what they're serving up that day. :D

I respect your opinion on that Screenpainter. And your point is well taken. I think it's great to hear from diverse positions, and there is value in that. I do not know the people you are mentioning. But I will have to look them up.

Be that as it may, there is value to criticism. There are certainly critics/journalists/businessmen/warriors/politicians (etc) who are solely out to build their own fortunes on the bloody carcasses of whomever falls into their crosshairs. And certainly there are ways to manipulate thoughtless people's opinions into back them up through prejudices and so on.

But there is a danger to not having parameters within which one operates. The pejorative use of the term 'prejudice' is a buzz word that has been used most of my life (rarely toward me) -- more about racial and religious broad stroke stuff is where I have heard it most frequently used. So to use it as a blocking point is doing a disservice to individual evaluation. It basically says "hands off".

When someone is experimenting and searching for something deeper, as is GXHPainter, (correct me if I'm misstating this GX), evaluation is crucial to their evolution.

On the other hand, naturally, if someone is going in a direction contrary to what is being offered as constructive criticism or support for their process, it is up to them to evaluate the criticism. Nobody gets out without awareness.

I am reminded of the old saying that if the only tool one has is a hammer, then they begin to see everything as a nail. That agrees with both our points and disagrees at the same time. But the world is all about tools. If you need to saw a board you probably wouldn't reach for a hammer.

But your points are most valid. . . and support where you're coming from. Mine are from my perspective. GXHPainter's is his.

Fun to discuss. :):):):):)

gxhpainter2
10-24-2011, 05:34 AM
D Akey... I couldn't agree more..as one explores deeper it is essential for a thoughtful critic to challenge and observe the progress and experiments.. and the artist and listen, agree , dismiss as they reflect on what has been said but that process is extremely valuable..:cool::cool::cool::cool:

BTW martini's at 6:00 :D

screenpainter
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
D, I hope you get to see that documentary on Herb and Dorothy Vogel who collected minimalist art before it was popular. It's really an excellent documentary. It's called oddly enough, Herb and Dorothy I think. Anyway, I am not at all disfavoring the benefit of honest unbiased critiques. I think you know I feel they are helpful. The catchwords for me were... drive by critique and something about comparisons to other work and that somehow made this fall short or missed the mark. Very subtle, indeed, but confining and antithetic to growth and experimentation wouldn't you say?
Along with recent comments about Klee not so long ago I am wondering what has you running off to dance with the Philistines? You are the D Akey who encouraged me many times to experiment and often made a great difference. And the extensive comments were always so enjoyable to read because the thought of someone showing that much involvement was, for an artist, crucial to pressing on and going forward. So take it with a grain of salt. Which can be extremely valuable when salt is in short supply. :) So good chatting with you again. Like a bygone time that was thoroughly enjoyed then, as now. :) And it is about time you got some criticism anyway, to help keep you producing those quality critiques. :) And I know you to be an appreciator of discourse. We have had a shortage of good dialogue around here on art of late. Chalk this as an incitement of such. :D

D Akey
10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Hear Hear. . . and right back atcha. Good to see you around again. Was hoping all was well with you.

I'm genuinely grateful that you acknowledge that the value of someone's showing a healthy interest in an artist can be of benefit to that artist so long as it lifts them. My having been spawned in a vacuum has made that the keynote of my participation in many things. I agree and that's sometimes more to the point, especially if that nourishment has been lacking. I'm lucky that I actually am interested. It's very good for me too. :)

Sappy as it sounds, watching artists blossom is one of the joys of my life and my process interacting with their process goes through an evolution as well.

The form my comments take depend on the person to whom I address my thoughts, based on where they appear to be. Everybody is a bit different. Hopefully that does not come across as inconsistency on my part. The target is always the same. Just a different trajectory. It's just that the graphic nature of the art is less important than the movement of energy, directed by the artist themselves.

But I am somewhat experienced in painting and can interject some of those sensibilities here and there like fills between lines of music. The melody is essentially theirs/yours. Speaking of fills, I heard Ginger Baker (drummer for the Cream) say in an interview that he regarded his job as drummer was making the other guys sound great. I also heard band guitarists say their job was to make the singer sound great. In that sense I am the guitarist. There's always somebody we can make sound greater than they ordinarily do with the little fills we drop in.

Hope you're still painting!

screenpainter
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm just messin' with ya for old time's sake. :) Carry on. :D Yes, doing a bit of painting but not much to show at the moment. Mostly abstract and messing with stickers. Probably be doing some watercolor portraits soon. I can feel a portrait or two welling up. Thanks for asking. :)

Caesar
10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I like this interferometric painting where both order and disorder, determinist, chaotic and stochastic structures and behaviours are parts of the whole.

EB
10-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Nice painting gxhpainter.

gxhpainter2
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Caesar... had to pull out my thesaurus but thanks....;)

EB .. many thanks... you seem to have become a regular viewer.. much appreciated..