PDA

View Full Version : this is RIDICULOUS

Margi
10-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I posted an unfinished pic in Works in Progress today, plunged ahead and finished it, posted it, and have tweaked it about 10 times since I 'finished' it. HOW DO YOU STOP? Every time I go back to it, I see something else, its like the song that never ends....but I "think" this one is finished. It was inspired by the works of Briex, and also PaperTree with adorable pic of the little boy and the raincoat....many thanks..61078

Steve B
10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Btw, the mother's face and hair are much improved. I often like a painting that can simultaneously be detailed in some aspects, when it needs to be, and very gestural and dynamic in others.

As for finishing art-images and poems are abandoned more than finished, IMO. LOL! And sometimes critiques are best applied to your next painting from the start, rather than on the current one. My two cents.

Margi
10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom, i am going to work on that hand tho, what you said made so much sense. Now one more thing....i feel like the colour of that row of trees is wrong....is it too blue?shouldnit be a different shade?...many thanks

barnburner
10-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I think you have done a fine job with this. In the end, you just have to decide for yourself if your painting is "done". After all, it's your painting. If you are satisfied with it - that's all that really matters.

Margi
10-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Ahh , and therin lies the problem barnburner, i alway feel it can be better

Steve B
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, I would also say "What's the reason you're painting?" Personally, I paint in order to pay attention. That often means understanding why things are the way they are, and really __seeing__ things, not just painting them the "way I want to". Thus, to me, for example, the trees in the background lose a proper sense of depth because the color is too saturated. As you fade into the distance, atmospheric perspective takes hold. This means things look hazier, and have a greyer tone. Up close, things tend to look more vivid color-wise. Similar concepts re: color apply to things like shadows, which generally have a bit of blue in them.

Of course, you don't need to follow these principals to make good art. I completely agree with that. BUT, if part of why you're doing art is to "pay attention and see things as they really are" then understanding these sorts of things, and expressing them in your pictures, can help you make art that is more "successful" by those terms. Also, color and whatnot also is a useful tool. And sometimes things don't seem quite right to our eyes when we see a painting-- color is often the culprit as we learn to work with it.

Thus, for example, even though perhaps the colors on the boy aren't truly realistic, they read very well-- you've got your darker shades with bluer tones down on the lower arm, and I also recognized the bit of red you splashed down on the water and on his arm. Is it totally real? No. But understanding a bit about why color works the way it does allows you to play with it and use it with more control. Like you're doing here.

Personally, I'd love to see you really tackle the sky and make it do something for you. I once had a teacher that said "If it doesn't help the painting it's hurting it, there's no real in between." And that's often the approach I take to my pieces. I don't really think the sky is hurting the piece right now, but I think it could do more for you, be more expressive, help the piece cohere, balance it more. I know that it's just white in the picture, but that is just the pic. This is your picture, and I'd take it where you want to make it the best composition you can. Blue at the top, fading down? Blue at the bottom, fading up? Clouds? Other colors? I dunno. But I think you might gain something from experimenting a bit on a new layer.

I dunno. I just wanted to express the idea that it's fine to be critical of your own work and really "push it", and to understand why you might like it to be "better"-- whatever that might mean to you personally. I definitely think it's improving, bit by bit. :)

Margi
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
your comments are sooooo helpful. am reading and taking it all in. I think my reason for leaving the sky stark, is that I am afraid of it becoming to busy. As a bit of history, in my 'real life painting' I paint photo realistic paintings of wooden canoes on a stark and surreal background. Yes, it is very specific!! but that is what I paint, so to deviate from that and do these lose oils is a real departure, and then to try to put in a background on top of a busy foreground....now thats just asking to much!!! Here is a link to a page of my paintings, perhaps that will shed light on how different this is for me....and why I am having trouble....
http://www.margilaurin.ca/Site/Canoes.html

Caesar
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
This painting is a very good one, not far from an excellent and finished artpiece in my view.
Since You ask, in addition to all other wiser suggestions and advices (very useful to be considered indeed) I can only say that You should stop when You feel You're losing Your fresh and magical touch, Your inner boost and You're getting somehow backward by detailing more or by unsuccessfully trying to improve or correct.
You may then either stop (if the painting looks balanced enough in all elements, no matter if it may look unfinished) or leave it for some time and resume it when You feel "warm" again about it.
I may say that the real and greatest artists are the ones who know where to stop exactly, so the most difficult choice since those masters are a real rarity.

Margi
10-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Thank you very much for those kind words, as a new user of ArtRage, I am at the beginning of the learning curve and am loving it tremendously but also making some basic errors. I am using my ipad, and I believe (although could be wrong) that once I have merged the layers (yes, I know I shouldnt have :)) I can not get behind the figures to work on the background...is that correct? If I were using the desk top version, is there a way to select the figures and add a new layer as there is in photoshop? I am not planning to do this on this one, I am leaving as is, but would like to know this for future paintings. I may try to soften that tree colour and add some lavender as was suggested and fade into the white and see how that looks....

Caesar
10-22-2011, 01:18 AM
If You draw or paint on separate layers separate objects or layers of it, You may select and move each of them on that layer, in case blinding the other layers.
Anyway, for calculations power reason and for keeping a manageable number of layers, it's better not proliferate with layers and give each a specific "purpose" as Nick Harris (alias Nickillus) tecahed us in his awful thread in the Ambient Section. Have a look in case ...

Margi
10-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Hmm, I cant seem to find the thread you mentioned, but I did find some great videos in the meantime that gave me lots of great ideas to try. Thanks. now must GO TO WORK

limey-g
10-22-2011, 02:48 AM
I like it but as others have mentioned I think the sky needs a little life adding to it.
Geoff

Steve B
10-22-2011, 03:10 AM
The Nickullus thread is called "Nick's Rage Against the Machine". It's down in the Ambient Spotlights section.

EB
10-22-2011, 03:34 AM
This is really a nice image, I like it

Margi
10-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments and all your help. Someonesane (who kept me from going insane) helped me find the multiply option that I didnt even know existed on the ipad app, and it worked for the background. The first one I did was too purple, and although it looked nice, I really felt it wasnt the right colour scheme for their house. The HAND, created great issues, Steve suggested the photo showed her with a more protective gesture, which I agreed with, but because there was a blanket in the photo (I preferred not to have it as I wanted it as uncluttered as possible) her hand was hidden, so I had to fudge it. ANYway, long LONG story short, I think I am happy with it. ....for now. I hope the water and the sky work together, but if not, i now know how to change it!!! yay Thanks to you all I learned an awful lot with this project.61100 ps. I can see just from posting the water is too purple..<sigh> but getting there

barnburner
10-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I liked it before, but it is even better now. Well done! :):):)

Margi
10-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks barnburner, still tinkering, think I went to far the other way, but now I have a better understanding of layers and can tinker all I want!

Mike Severoff
10-23-2011, 03:16 AM
I liked it.
well done the characters faces: gently