PDA

View Full Version : Shakespearean Halloween

Caesar
10-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Halloween isn't a tradition at all for me, but certainly a wonderful opportunity to paint something weird.
I thought You would have appreciated an Halloween set in a picturesque Italian environment. Obviously a nice balcony and a charming damsel attracting a passionate lover would fit the expectations.
What the two guys in here may hear though, is not the lark chirp, but rather that of the bat (provided they can hear ultrasounds ;):D).
Nonetheless it's going to end tragically anyway.
As a matter of fact, unfortunately the youngster is climbing on the one of the two only balconies to avoid (the other one being that of Lucrezia Borgia).:eek:
I hope You like this sick imaginary illustration.:D

L Skylar Brown
10-20-2011, 02:40 AM
This is Excellent. I love your take on the Balcony Scene. Top notch illustration, as always, my friend.

coops
10-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Cesare this is excellently painted and I love the theme. Your paintings have such amusement to them along with such talent:)

gxhpainter2
10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Caesar...a unique and painterly image...very well illustrated and with your usual wit..;)... well done!

Strandy
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Hi Caesar,

It's damn European and I'd say literary version of 'Halloween' Looking at this illustration, I'm wondering there is still the book missing, it belongs to...

pat1940
10-20-2011, 05:29 AM
Caesar, great work here, and I always enjoy your humor and such a witty man you are, always look forward to your wonderful paintings:):):)and of course that humor:D:D:D:D

Caesar
10-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank You, dear Skylar. I always miss the patience and accuracy necessary to get a well detailed and polished illustration, but I get fun for myself anyway.

I like to be pleased and smile at my inventions, dear Katie, and hope You too may share it. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Gary. I probably have now defined some sort of quasi-style core around which my paintings turn and possibly also an original enough sense of humour I may contribute (not being a truly artist).

Dear Strandy, although it may seem to refer to the economical and financial situation ... it's not so.
We're anyway back to middle age or rather Renaissance here, when those bloody bankers developped their initial blasted techniques in Florence and Siena to then infect Europe and, through British and Dutch, complete the ruin of the world outsid the Mediterranean ...:D Thank You!

Thank You, dear Pat! :o I didn't realize I had those qualities so much as You say, but I appreciate Your compliments very much.

EB
10-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Very well done

Armoured
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Great immagination. I like your painting style!

Caesar
10-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank You very much, dear EB and Armoured.

barnburner
10-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Love it Caesare! As always, it's extremely well painted. If the young man falls and breaks his neck in pursuit of such an attractive damsel, well, some risks are worth taking. :D:D:):):)

Caesar
10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Right, dear BB! It's probably less worth when the lady living in the palace has a huge scorpion tail though! :eek::D Thank You!

mannafig
10-25-2011, 05:24 AM
With his legs spread like that he could end up splitting his difference if he falls wrong:D:D Expertly paint my dear Cesare:):)

Chaos79
10-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Wondering what might the Pumpkin face been thinking ..... The expression seems like it's planning to do something. Nice illustration.

Caesar
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
LOL:p No problem, dear Amanda. Considering the age and the place of the tragedy, he can anyway change his career from lover to a treble singer!:D
Thank you!

Thank You, dear Chaos79! Oh, the pumpkin moon may just observe and enjoy the nasty trick the scorpio-lady is going t play to the ministrel (or Romeo, "is it You Romeo?":confused:) :p

D Akey
10-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Speaking of fish, who ordered the piece of cod?

You're right Caesar. You haven't got this Halloween thing quite down yet, but this makes for a very refreshing take on a very traditional holiday. I think it gets lumped in as a holiday even though it's still a work day.

Yes, based on what they write about her in history, Lucretia Borgia with her murderous penchant for poisoning would fit right into Halloween, despite her being pre-Gothic, and more late Renaissance.

This black widow you painted is a funny twist on Juliette. And Romeo suddenly got miscast as the damsel in distress for another offer of emasculation. . . ripe for the picking so to speak.

I think this year's Halloween I shall dress as a Roman painter, you demented lad. :D

Caesar
10-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Thank You for Your funny and positive comment, dear D Akey.:D

I also realized that my historical period choice doesn't fit with the Gothic art style ususally adopted for Halloween. To my excuse, it's probably due to the fact that we got out of the Middle Age sensibly sooner here ...
Let me play the lecturer for a little bit. In Italy, not considering more localised architectural style (like the Bizantinian, Moresque, Amalfitan, Venitian or Swabian to cite some examples) ,after the Roman Empire we had more or less the following succession for buildings and visual arts: Paleo-christian, Romanic, Gothic, Renaissance, Manierism, Baroque, RococÚ, Neo-classical/ Palladian. The following periods were, more or less like in the rest of Europe.
As I anticipated, in most cases they appeared before or far before than in the rest of Europe.
We don't even celebrate Halloween, but we share somehow its Celtic roots in many places of Italy once ruled by Barbarians, the Longobards in particular. Moreover we have many traditional spooky stories grandparents and old people used to narrate and many of them right from middle age, where we had our outstanding share of saints, and honest amount of alleged witches and heretics, alchemists, Inquisition and so on, without an obscurantism and terror vaguely comparable to that in Spain and without getting affected by their nightmares which seem to have haunted Goya.

ENCHANTER
10-26-2011, 06:50 AM
A 'tale' with a sting in it ;) .....i really like your sub dialogues :)

Caesar
10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Thank You, dear Enchanter! his Halloween inspiration was a way to get closer to fantasy illustrations where You're a real master.

limey-g
10-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Wow I am in awe at your talent plus your painting tells a story which is always a bonus.
You are a true artist.
Geoff

Caesar
10-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Thank You, dear Geoff! You're too kind indeed.

AT-TA
10-27-2011, 04:58 AM
As coops said Caesar: You are so talented as an illustrator, every picture is a candy for the eyes and a gift for the heart of every viewer. One can see and say right away that you do not trace and pick, that you have your own original tools of immense talent and do not need to copy anybody's feelings. This feature i admire not just in men but women to.
This is a lovely scene and made me smile, as usually. Thanks, Caesar, for enriching our day with your very original creation.God bless you for that.:-)

Evil Robot
10-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Very nice image. I'm a big fan of sci fi and horror and I love an image that tells a story. Wonderful illustration.

kenmo
10-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Outstanding.....

Caesar
10-27-2011, 10:03 PM
What can I say, dear Anna, without getting too embarassed and blushing under Your kind praises flow? Whenever I may achieve a view I can share for amusing or delighting mates in here I'm repaid in my aim. So I feel happy I got the goal with this illustration and I thank You very much.:)

Thank You, dear ER! I like them too, but usually it requires a very patient and planned approach to make great fantasy paintings (apart from a considerable skill, tricks bag and technique), so I don't paint the various fantastic genres frequently and accurately enough.:)

Thank You, dear Kenmo! I'm usually unable to work out conventional and too popular models and come up with traditionally expected interpretation of a celebration of any kind ...:D