PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning coffee

gxhpainter2
09-25-2011, 06:41 AM
edgy and sketchy....oily kind of like a lithograph..hope you enjoy this... inspired by this morning's Starbucks..:cool::cool:

iceaxe
09-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I like this one, would look great in huge format on any coffee shop wall I can think off. One of your best :):):):eek:

Bobbi
09-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Espresso! Certainly captures the coffee mode.

Juz
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Love it :):eek::)
Why does caffeine make art so good :D

screenpainter
09-26-2011, 03:33 AM
there are some wonderful color harmonies in this painting. I'd buy it in real medium. It just has a wonderful avant garde contemporary modern deliciousness. I suppose like your coffee was. :) I would agree with iceaxe. You seem to have hit the mark with this one. This could hold its own with contemporary art from the 70's on. It reminds me of a Basquiat or similar. I would expect to see this in the collection of Herb and Dorothy Vogel or maybe the Dennis Hopper collection. Or maybe mine. :)

gxhpainter2
09-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Albert... many thanks for your appreciative comment on this one.... I was particularly interested in Jean-Michel Basquiat... an amazing artist who came from such a difficult background and died too soon.

Juz, Bobbi and iceaxe...thanks for stopping by.. would love to get together for a cuppa and enjoy the conversation....:cool::cool::):)

Alexandra
09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Smells so good......yes, I'll take a cup please Gary, a little cream, thanks.:D
Another wonderful abstract!

kenmo
09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I can smell the java...!!!!:):):)

Caesar
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I think this coffee was so great that I can read the future in its grounds! :p:) Maybe You took the subway after this moning coffee, since I can see also its rail ...

Lima
09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Wonderful abstract Gary.

pat1940
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
WOW Gary, starbucks would love this on their wall, great job:):):)

gxhpainter2
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Sandy, Kenmo, Caesar, Lima and Pat... looks like my coffee induced painting frenzy was a winner... thanks to you all for your gracious comments...:):)

MSIE
09-29-2011, 12:13 AM
I found some lovely little creatures in this painting :)

great scene .. I like this a lot :)

gxhpainter2
09-29-2011, 09:13 AM
MSIE guess that would be the equivalent of reading tea leaves...;);)..

D Akey
10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
I love this one. I'm sticking to talking about the stuff we've been talking about in the other threads because it appears to relate to that conversation (ie, taking an older idea and making it your own, dealing with the visual 'problems' that pertain to your canvas in this case).

The painting holds together nicely as a painting that is of a piece so to speak. As the viewer I can draw relationships between the elements. The colors follow a set of parameters you established specifically for this work.

I admire the use of shapes because there are observable comparisons between them like the saw tooth part and the other iterative patterned shape (like keys on a clarinet or overhanging light poles as on bigger city streets).

The colors are basically held to a two tone (black and buff) main statement, while there are accents floating about that aren't trying to upstage the main two, but rather depend from them, and condition their own presence within their 'world'. The same with the little squiggly shapes that work as accents in the buff area for example. Not only do they serve and comment on the overriding theme and not digressing, but they also look good as a byproduct of the laying down paint with gaps between which is a cool artistic flair. It integrates it as well.

I think this is a really good example of taking ideas and a look, and using that historical stuff as a general starting point only and then creating something solid of your own that stands in its own context. That's my take on it anyway. I see good art sensibilities at work here.

Nice painting, GX.

AT-TA
10-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Magnetic, gorgeously decorative your coffee picture is to me Gary. Nice palette of colors.:)