PDA

View Full Version : Her Pleasure And Another few tries

Alexandra
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Oils, small frost knife, big frost knife, loaded knife, and masking tool to help with lattice.
A woman enjoying her gardening.
I hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking.

Here is another try-I added a little more detail to the bush, and took the collar off of her dress. Took a little contrast off of the window, lattice, and apron.
I hope this looks better.

limey-g
09-20-2011, 12:36 AM
I like this a lot, really well painted, I admire your talent.
Geoff

pat1940
09-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Sandy, I really love this, you did a fantastic job, absolute lovely painting, Sandy what is the masking tool:):):)

Jasminek
09-20-2011, 01:15 AM
What a pleasant painting. Love it.:)

coops
09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
This is so different and so well painted Sandy. She seems very intent on doing a grand job of her garden. I like it very much:)

gxhpainter2
09-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Sandy... wow... a really beautiful painting.. I love the bright colors and flat handling of the figure. really shows your talent :eek::cool::cool::):):):):)

Caesar
09-20-2011, 02:21 AM
A completely different one for You and a superb artpiece at first shot!
I like it very much and You must have made an artistic trip in the late XIX century in France to borrow some style influence!

Alexandra
09-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Geoff, Thank you so much, I am extremely flattered and appreciative dear mate.:)

Pat, Thank you dear lady.:)
Down in the bottom left spot of your tool section there is a square with dots around it-click this and go into its settings. There is square, circle, freehand, straight line octagon, magic wand etc. The octagon is great for doing things like the lattice.
I will upload a screen shot.

Thank you Jasmine. It started out a drawing of my mother. She has the most beautiful garden. My mother is a thin woman and this person ended up being much thicker, and then the hat was added, clothing...then it wasn't my mother at all-haha! A painting for a card for her perhaps though.;):)

Thanks so much Katie. I am so pleased you liked it!

I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement dear Gary, many many thanks!

Oui, j'aime ce moment dear Cesare. I don't know why, maybe some DNA memories floating around in my blood stream.lol. Thank you, so happy that you liked this one. My mother is one of those folks that is happiest in her garden, in fact I think it is the only thing in this world that does make her happy!
A garden with lattice, roses, and every thing one can imagine, is grown easily with her green thumb. She does wear the large hats, but is a small framed woman, unlike this one. She is careful to wear long sleeves though when in the sun, so there is some resemblance and I do think of her with this painting that is from my early morning imagination. Thanks so much!

D Akey
09-20-2011, 06:48 AM
This is so the right direction, among the 1001 other right directions you have headed. (All good and variety teaches things where examining only one style might leave some gaps.) What a great look. I would encourage you using all the things you have going on in here in ways where they relate a little more to serve the picture. It's like a lovely old school style illustration in ways. And you are using some really cool design/patterning ideas. The head looks great, and the sleeves and hat. All very nice.

I suppose what I would say about it is that the values and emphasis could be making more sense to you and thus to us. I realize you are biting off something new and as such your attention was aimed at other things. And that would naturally settle more as you did this style more.

But the trellis is bright and contrasty, as is the window -- both emphatically grids, and draws up a comparison with each other to the slight diminishment of the woman. So the very active upper half of the pic (including her head and hat) mutes considerably the lower half. All of the stuff is very cool. It's just that the dazzle might be in the woman first. And then this and that in the garden would get emphasis slightly less than what's on her.

You have it all in place. I believe it's then just a matter of amplifying and setting back values and saturation as a way of composing your picture.

But truly, this is so cool overall. I LOVE the look.

Alexandra
09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Thank you so much dear friend, always great CC D Akey! I will work on these issues, and will hopefully be able to correct them.
My mother has lattice hammered here and there, so I had to do this, and no matter the condition-they are glorious. Now...to get this in a painting...:rolleyes:
So happy you liked it.:)

D Akey
09-20-2011, 07:49 AM
I love it! Seriously. More please!

Lima
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I like it too. Very beautiful Alexandra.

barnburner
09-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I like this a lot Sandy. Splendid job! :):):)

MacPix
09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Wonderful, Sandy! Even though you say it doesn't look like your Mother, she must be thrilled to be an inspiration for you!

Juz
09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
So many of your stylistic explorations come together in this piece to form one brilliant painting. Outstanding :):)

Alexandra
09-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Hey D Akey, I am here to learn as much as to enjoy, so I appreciate any advice or opinion. When I have the time or make the time, I can do better, and you make me feel much better when I do that!
The second one I worked a little more on it, took off a top layer of color, and adjusted contrast on the white objects. I hope you like it better, and thank you!

Thank you dear Dr. Oriane, always a pleasure seeing you and I appreciate your kind encouraging words!

Hi Mike, Thank you dear friend!

I think my picky mother will indeed like it dear Deb, or hope so!:eek::o Great to see you, and your beautiful paintings, thanks so much!

Many thanks dear Juz. I appreciate this as you are such a great artist!

eighty+
09-21-2011, 04:30 AM
yep changes work well Alex but like the 1st colour behind the lattice work

and thanks about the square of little dots

pat1940
09-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Sandy, as I said before, I love the first, but I absolutely love, love the second, D Akey gives such good advise, wonderful job, btw thanks for reply to masking and all that, where to find it:):):):)

gxhpainter2
09-21-2011, 05:24 AM
nice work on the fixes to the first image... all of them improve a fine painting already... that to me is the fun of digital work... you can go back and make major changes that would be nearly impossible in natural media..:D:):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alexandra
09-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Thank you E+, I tried another experiment, and merged two top layers changing a bit of light and opacity. I hope you like it.
I have been trying to study a few of the oil painters on DVA as well and have noticed a few enhancements with top layers, and textures and designs added. Now, I am trying to understand where to apply shadow and light.
In this one, I tried to show the light shining on the roses. She loves pale pink roses.

Pat, your opinion means so much to me, thank you dear friend!

Thanks Gary, and I agree-have to love digital and the freedom it offers!

coops
09-21-2011, 06:29 AM
This is seriously great Sandy, the changes you made make all the difference. Keep at it girl you did great:)

Alexandra
09-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Thank you dear Katie. Always appreciated, and anything you can think of please let me know.

pat1940
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Sandy, must tell you that I like 2 the best, it shows more shadow behing and in front of the lattice which gives more depth, also like removal of collar, I do like the highlites on the bush in 3 so I think if you put that highlites in 2, your have a wonderful perfect painting, I still think all of them are so great tho, love your determination dear friend:D

barnburner
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Very nice changes Sandy. Like Pat, I like the second painting the best. They are all fine, I just find the overall painting of the middle one to be more pleasing to my eye, for what that's worth. :):):)

Alexandra
09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Pat and Mike, I appreciate your view point. This helps me a lot dear friends.:):):):):)

cartuneman
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
love this it has that old world feel I wish I could capture.

Sketchism71
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Like bread and butter or carrots and peas - this painting seems to be a style natural to you Sandra. I LOVE this painting and probably one of my favorites I've seen from you. Innocent, but tells a story, loose and free, bright and beautiful! Fantastic job on this Sandra!:eek::):):)

Alexandra
09-22-2011, 02:12 AM
How kind of you John, I appreciate that very much. I think this era is another that is so attractive to me, when styles were more becoming I think to an older person, or were simpler. I don't know why, but it appeals to me.

Thank you so much dear Eddie. I am so pleased that you liked it. There is a long long story in this painting indeed, and an emphasis of light placed on the growing roses for a reason. The strength of the gardner and the long life of many many trials, where sadly only her plants would bring her happiness. Kind of bittersweet I guess.

D Akey
09-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love watching it evolve. Lots to be said for what you ended up with. Makes for a proper garden feast. Brava! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Racy that neckline. Makes it more modern. :D

Alexandra
09-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Haha, I thought about making it lower, as in some of the art I have viewed showed much more cleavage but after all this will be a card for me modest mom.:p
Thanks dear D Akey, so happy you like them. Good grief...I still want to experiment more with it....:rolleyes: