PDA

View Full Version : Clinart Doodles.

clinart
09-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi, a quick study after elcoro. I'm still getting used to Artrage, typically I work in PS or Painter, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite programs! My only issue with it is the brush size is a bit small when working in high res +200 dpi etc.

edit. I have a vid of the process but I have to post a bit more before I can post the link?

L Skylar Brown
09-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Rich, and Well Done! I found out from playing around that you can manually go up to 500% on various tool sizes. AR's Default is 100, but just try typing Other percentages. I work at 200-300 ppi.

gxhpainter2
09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
very impressive study...rich and muted tones. and the craggy strong face work well with the size and looseness of the brushwork.. welcome the the AR forum hope we see more great work from you.:):);)

cartuneman
09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
oooooooh!!! I like this. I love to see the workmanship of the brush. Great job and Mr Brown is right ...fool around with different percentages.

Juz
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Absolutely love this, excellent work :):)

Hold down Shift and drag to resize your brush on the fly up to 500%

eighty+
09-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi. Tim. Look for Rattsang in the forums style like yours have tried

Myself. But end up like the Tar baby :eek: Yeah waiting to see your Vid

ok

E +. :D:D

MSIE
09-11-2011, 11:02 PM
what a handsome guy :) very well done!
I'm looking forward to seeing the making-of of this portrait :)

coops
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Great portrait Clinart, looks like a real canvas. Love seeing brushstokes in a painting it gives it such zing:)

clinart
09-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys!

Here's the vid:

Watch me in HD (http://youtu.be/SvFXU0xH70k)

MSIE
09-12-2011, 08:05 AM
thanks for posting the link to the video, I enjoyed watching it (even twice.. :D) :) great stuff!

Tony867
09-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi clinart, really powerful brushtrokes, a great work.

pat1940
09-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Excellent work, very good brush strokes:):):)

D Akey
09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Very nice alla prima study. Feels sorta Richard Schmidt -- in that direction.

I understand the natural constraints of time in a live studio setting, where we get in what we do and then stop when the pose is over. It can get a little hasty. At least, that's what I remember of it.

You clearly have a lot of skill and I want to applaud you on that. The only observation I have to offer is that the marks are quickly applied and are not entirely describing the form. You generally have it right though.

Thus it might be a matter of starting with larger tonal beginnings breaking up the planes and then save your smaller thicker daubs for accents. Making the size and angle of your strokes be on purpose, if that makes sense.

It really is a matter of what look one is going for. And as such it's a little dodgy to make suggestions. But based on what it looks like you're doing, that might have some value to you.

Very nice work, though.

Lima
09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I also liked it. I saw the movie and followed your way of reasoning.

The use of strong brush strokes is one of my preferences… I liked how you worked the general form and volume of that face.

I think however, that the edges are very competitive and the shadow values are too strong especially around the eyes, the cheecks and the neck.

There is no good way to soften the edges with the brush tool without completely blending and corrupting or "muding" colors next to each other, one of the problems of painting alla prima… one way to do that with the program is to use the knife on the wet mode.

The shadow values are to low (2 or 3). If you compare your photo with the thumbnail photo in the main gallery (a compressed picture) you'll notice that the edges seems to be more harmonious and less independent, in contrast with the main painting where those spots of higher value are at odds with the general harmony (assemble both in ArtRage platform and you will observe that phenomenon). This observation is a constant in inumerous paintings as compared to its thumbnail... and I do not know how to explain, i.e. sometimes the painting is beautiful and the thumbnail not so, and vice-versa.

You certainly have talent and will develop all the capabilities of the program. In the case of your painting, I would say that other than Richard Schmidt it reminds me also of Scott Burdick style.

Well done.:)

Caesar
09-12-2011, 09:14 PM
You're an evident masterful painter and this thick paint portrait alla prima an absolute show of talent and skill! Congratulations!

silvy
09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Many thanks for the video :)
You're a master.
Welcome to the forum;)

mannafig
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
love the brush strokes very nicely done:):)

clinart
03-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone! Here are a couple more I've done..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/fb.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/fb-1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/cx3.jpg

Caesar
03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm impressed by Your mastery, dear mate! Welcome in here and congratulations for Your fresh and confident use of thick paint, a quite difficult painting style in my view!

clinart
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
caeser - The first two were painted in a more grisaille method actually, heh. Should update the title of the thread. The last one was a wet on wet application with 0% thinners. I appreciate the kind words!

Shibui
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Amazing ! And thanks for the video, I was able to watch on iPad and will take a mother look on big screen.

EB
03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Quire well done

Earle

MSIE
03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
amazing! thanks for sharing :)

screenpainter
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
great alla prima style. beautiful portraits and figures. liked the vid as well. I think you could take the first portrait a tad bit further even. after a rest of the eyes perhaps. :) tip: try using a gray for the whites of the eyes. lots of great stuff here to see. splendid work.