PDA

View Full Version : A Knights Dream

Sketchism71
09-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Nothing puts me in my place like being whupped at a good game of Chess. My 6 y/o son check mated me in 6 moves the other night, I didn't know whether to be proud or humiliated!

This started out completely from my mind but I ended up using a few photo references of chess pieces. It probably needs a bit more smoothing and a few highlights here and there, but I will have to come back to it.

Kids are back in school, hopefully I can get some free time to start painting and hanging out again.

Thanks for checking it out!:)

pat1940
09-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Sketch I like this, I think you did a great job, not easy to do, good for your son also:D:D:D:D:D

Alexandra
09-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Wow Eddie, beautiful! Hey...don't feel bad...my son is teaching me how to play.:o

scribbledsoul
09-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Oh my, I love this! The colors and the reflections on the chess board are just perfect! Now I want to play chess! :p

Sketchism71
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you;

Pat :)
Sandra:)
Scribbledsoul:) (I like your name!)

I messed around with some filters on this - just having some fun but I thought this gave it an interesting effect.

Juz
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
LOL on the chess game, isn't your son clever :D

Great to see you back and painting again Sketch. This is beautiful, love the harmonious colour and the reflections are brilliant. :):)

waheednasir
09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
good job on this. i like the mood it carries..:).

fugu-guy
09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I love the way the horizon is curved. It gives it a spherical world look. Also, I like the darker mood of the original more than the one with the filter change.

One comment I would like to make is that the king and queen appear to be shorter than it could be. Most chess pieces I've seen are taller than what you have painted for the king and queen.

coops
09-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I can understand the confused feelings, should one feel proud hmmmm or darn it he beat me lol:) but whatever they are, the painting is great. I have a strong pull to this one as I was always going to paint my dancers on such a board so you beat this one so to speak. Love the painting Sketch:)

kenmo
09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Stunning & beautiful.....:):):)

mannafig
09-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Fantastic painting Sketch.:):)
Hilarious on the chess game. Who taught him to play?:D:D

gxhpainter2
09-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Sketchism.. really nice work..everyone has pointed out some of it great points like the curved horizon. the reflections... and the colors.. stunning work..

D Akey
09-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Good to see you back. You really shouldn't let the sting of defeat humiliate you out of showing your face. . . er avatar here. We still like you no matter how often you get trounced.

In the pic, it may be like your dream, in which case don't change a thing, for dream journal writing integrity.

But the composition is kinda so-so I'm afraid. Everything is there to tell the story, but we know that there's ways to tell stories and ways to tell stories. Same with composing a painting. Scale, angles and all that can be used to effect more drama, if you are interested in that. Colors are nice though.

But if you wanted to sharpen the impact, it's sometimes a help to imagine an ideal audience and make a picture that will make them react somehow. Helps to sharpen the voice. Could be the wildlife outdoors crowd with your mountains and elk as you did, or the little league crowd, or a painting of some odd CIA spy at the control board monitoring all the Artrage painters. Speaking to someone(s) helps to sharpen your voice as the artist.

Even just for your son, were this for him: In a light fun way, not necessarily suggesting to do it, but just hypothetically, would be kinda fun to have your lad, the chess master, in the pic somewhere, either at the scale of the pieces hamming it up, like doing a touchdown dance or riding the knight swinging a baseball bat etc. Or having his head, large at the far end of the board, like Kilroy was here, upper head with calculating eyes at the far end of the board, sorta pulp magazine campy stuff like the mastermind. . . or any number of other fanciful things that would personalize it.

Humor is always good, but is just one way. Certainly engaging the audience in knowing what they like and acknowledging it pulls them in. And for me anyway when I do it, it helps me problem solve because it becomes concrete.

As to parental humiliations, for me, I used to let my son win, and finally he actually started beating me. I know the mixed feeling well. Hahaha.

silvy
09-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Welcome back and what a beautiful work!:)
Stunning!

Sketchism71
09-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much Juz, Waheed, Fugu-guy, Katie, Kenmo, mannafig, gxh, D Akey, and Silvy for the wonderful comments.

D Akey - An extra thank you for your amazing insight. When I read comments from you, it is like the old artist trick of looking at your painting in a mirror.

As far as my son goes... He is grounded until I win! :)

Caesar
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
An astoundingly metaphysical painting I'd say. Love it and its depth, both visual and conceptual.

eighty+
09-13-2011, 10:47 PM
hi sketch71 looks like I've got no option got to hope for stalemate

yeah :cool: :cool: :D :D :p

barnburner
09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
What a great idea.. Beautifully done! :):):)

mikejl
09-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Love it. Great job.