PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhhhhhhhh....can you hear the snow?

cartuneman
09-05-2011, 05:58 AM
I painted this last night....couldn't sleep, it was to hot, lol but this cooled me off. I can always remember the silence that happens when snow falls. It is a silence full of imaginative sounds. As a child I could almost hear each snowflake as it floated to the ground. "Wow", I can almost see my breath.

HarlequiNQB
09-05-2011, 06:32 AM
That's... Well, it's amazing. I love how lifelike it looks, while also being so "false" and textured. Very engaging. Her eyes remind me of that classic National Geographic cover of the girl staring out at the camera for some reason.

Strandy
09-05-2011, 06:44 AM
...I could almost hear each snowflake as it floated to the ground. "Wow", I can almost see my breath...

All I can say is 'Wow'! I could almost see colors in this painting... So impressive it is done...

gxhpainter2
09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
wow is not enough to say about this... really a nice work and so expressive of the innocence of the child..

cartuneman
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
HarlequiNQB thanks this was a lot of fun to paint You know when something is fun to paint when you can't stop tweeking on it.

Strandy thanks Strandy,

gxhpainter Thank you for your comment. Hard to believe but I actually spent almost 3 hours on her eyes...

MacPix
09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Another WOW from me! The eyes are extraordinary and I love the the texture. :D

kenmo
09-05-2011, 11:34 AM
What a delightful painting... snow in Nevada? Really? I know it snows in northern Texas and northern California but not in Nevada (unless you count the mountains near California)...

jibes
09-05-2011, 11:38 AM
So good!!!!!!!!

cartuneman
09-05-2011, 03:56 PM
jibes Thank you, glad you liked it.

kenmo Thank you sir. I was checking out some of your 3d work with art rage touch up. really nice work. I love 3d but I've never got the hang of it. It looks like you have a firm grip on it. Great work sir! Oh lol it do snow in northern Nevada. We get tons of it here. I live just below Lake Tahoe on the Nevada side and we get plenty of it every year. it starts snowing around thanksgiving and stays here till about May....As I look up at Mt. Rose right now from my den window there is still snow up there from last year...

MacPix thank you. I almost quit working on it but I made myself finish it this morning.

shechat
09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
The child is adorable and the painting is wonderful, fantastic work, great talent.

fugu-guy
09-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with everyone here - wow!

I love the details in the eyes.

-fugu

Alexandra
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh what an expression! So precious. Excellent painting John!

justjean
09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I am in awe, this is beautiful

MSIE
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
awesome!!! :)
great brush strokes and the child"s expression is wonderful.

coops
09-05-2011, 11:22 PM
This is just adorable Cartuneman and I can see my little grand-daughter with that expression on her face. Brilliantly painted:)

pat1940
09-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Absolutely beautiful, wonderful and a great portrait:):):):):)

Saphire
09-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Amazing piece of work, well done.

D Akey
09-06-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm trying to cast my memory back to the last ice age when a very young boy. I think for me it may have been the sound of snow melting? Thousands of little exhalations in unison. I never consciously thought of it though. Just a sort of patina.

And speaking of patinas, the face has the feel of some old Austrian/Italian woodcarvings I used to restore back when an art student. The chisel marks were subtle around the face, and sanded a wee bit more than this, but were made of little facets, and it gave a sort of shimmer and vitality. I am a fan of brushwork in paintings. Nice work on it.

I think you rock the expression! Wow. Very innocent, and you definitely nailed the playful wonder that I think anyone who has ever experienced childhood could relate to.

cartuneman
09-06-2011, 04:58 AM
shechat Thank you glad you like it.

Alexandra Thanks Sandy. it was a ton of fun to paint.

fugu-guy Thank you...I appreciate your comment. I spent a lot of time doing and redoing the eyes.

justjean Thank you very much

MSIE Thank you I am having a better day since I have received all your wonderful commnets

coops Oh Sweet lady thank you. You know I am one of your most ardent fans! I am absolutely loving all your work with the colors and the dancers I have to say WOW to you too.

pat1940 Thank you!

Saphire Thank you! I am going to have to spend some time today and check out all of you guys work! I learn from you all.....!

D Akey Mr. "D" Thank you for your Always entertaining, critical and honest review. We need more people like you that comment. The chiseled look must be my style seems like everything I paint has more of a post impressionistic style to it. I really don't like mixing types of tools into a painting. If I'm doing Oil I work only in oil. If I work in pen or charcoal that's what I work in. I know having all the digital tools to work with is great and they will work together but I feel I am not being true to the art if I mix.....You know what they say water and oil don't mix lol. I to am a fan of brush strokes. By looking at the strokes I can see in my minds eye how the artist worked the color or the actual paint in areas that draw my attention. The brush strokes gives me that slight intimate connection with the artist, however so slight.