PDA

View Full Version : Life is full of suffering?

Jasminek
09-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi,

This is a picture of an old woman in a village who without younger people around has to do everything herself. It is a common practice in many countries in Asia which young people must leave home to go to cities to find work. These countries have no social securities for elderly and they must depend on their children, grand-children.

In Thailand where I was born, for the past 10 years, the government gives 500 Baht ($15) for all over 62 years old. The everage spending for a thrifty person on food is 100 Baht so there is no way that this is the correct amount while the richest man in the country is worth $ 7,400,000,000!

The lonliness and physical challenge each day makes these old people very sad and full of hardship.

This lady in the picture is processing rice, she cannot straighten her back up, over 80 years old.

Used the ref. picture from a news media called Manager, Thailand. Painted in water colors and felt pen.

Any comments and advice is welcome.:)

Alexandra
09-01-2011, 12:25 AM
You know Jasmine, this woman has suffered in her later years maybe all of her life we don't know all that she has gone through, but her spirit is strong. One can clearly see that she does not give up. God bless her.

Jasminek
09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you Alexandra.:)

gxhpainter2
09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
very nice painting Jasmine.. and poignant perspective of this woman's life..

pat1940
09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Jasmine this is so heartwarming and sad, you did a great job on portraying the wonderful elders of Thailand, this should not be like this, so very sad

AT-TA
09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Jasmine, it is true, there's so much unjust in the world and one needs not to be ignorant about these things and should help wherever there's need in every small way...your women is, even in the old age, very pretty and you chose an meaningful and important subject...:)I like this painting a lot. :)

justjean
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Jasmine, thank you for helping us understand the sorrow in your homeland. I always find your paintings and stories so interesting, This is a lovely painting of a sad happening

Jasminek
09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks to you all so much.:)

silvy
09-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Beautiful painting Jasmine

jibes
09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Very impressive!!

screenpainter
09-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Thank you for communicating this. Leaving the farmlands for low paying wage jobs in the city puts a burden on the elderly in many places in Asia.Then the young get exploited too when they charge them for housing and food and they have nothing left. I am sad that they have the idea then to not take care of the elderly. It is a good principle to do so and makes for happier people all around. Those who take care and those who are helped. It seems to be happening many places. And now even in the U.S. they are talking about doing away with social security for the elderly. Sad.
Your painting is great but the message is even more important.

Jasminek
09-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks to everyone of you.

I retired 7 years ago when I was 53 as a Computer Configuration Manager and never believe that one can live off a social security check. Hubby and I are blessed that from working hard, we are fortunate enough to accumulate what is needed for a comfortable live.

The social security in the USA is not adequate, however, it is better than nothing for lots of Americans. Then when seeing other people in Asia and Africa have no dateline of their retirement time, must work or starve to death, it makes us wonder what the meaning of life is.

Cheeers!

D Akey
09-05-2011, 02:38 AM
According to Buddha, it's one of the Noble Truths -- that suffering exists. And I imagine that's your reference. And to see the particulars and be moved to act in whatever manner that comes to us is part of the process of living, I would say. Therefore, since it is seen it becomes an opportunity.

This woman and the plight of these people is a shame, truly. That's your comment which has implications on several levels.

You have done well using this image as an illustration for what you have written. Between the title and the picture it's certainly provocative and would compel those inclined to compassion to read what you have written.

I've observed that your painting themes are generally about human issues, difficult and sweet, with the focus on Thailand. It warms my heart to see that you are using your art to explore the dimensions of your heart. As you look at the different aspects of Thailand, which you love in all it's complexity, you also seem to be using it as a mirror for parts of yourself that for most people usually exist outside of the immediate conscious mind. It's a form of journalism or meditating, I suppose. Because Thailand resonates inside you, as you look at aspects of the Thai world, there's likely a corresponding aspect inside you that refreshes into the conscious mind. What one does with that is then more conscious, even if it then becomes a matter of speaking up.

That's one of the great benefits of the attraction of Love (of a family, or a people, or a hobby, or anything we feel for). It opens up so much World to us. And to anchor in the world the impressions in Art, it really helps to crystallize the stuff that can remain hazy if never examined. And then we can have something with which to externalize for others. Art and writing is a formidable combination.

Well done you! And thank you for your awareness.

Jasminek
09-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks so much dear D Akey. I left Thailand as an exchange student at 16, went back and spent less than 2 years there in a Uni. and left again for schooling in the USA and stayed permanently, but Thailand is in my blood as you have said.

What I have done for Thailand is very little, within my means and wish to do more, espeicially for the elders and children.

It is a home where I was born but the HOME is the good old USA.:)

Thanks you for writing so well.