PDA

View Full Version : Only a head

justjean
08-23-2011, 04:52 AM
I used a sculpture for ref for this one, Skylar might recognize it as it was from the WC Portraiture forum

A bit more colourful than the orig along with making her look a bit grumpy :D

Esential canvas grain for base then pumped up the effects for the headress and painted it with heavy oils, the face is less grain of eassential and done with watercolour

gxhpainter2
08-23-2011, 04:57 AM
jean ...:eek:.... what a beautiful face and I love the dramatic red turban... very nice work!...:):):):)

D Akey
08-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Cool. Yeah, she looks a little put out by someone. . . hope it ain't me.

Cause I would offer that the red of the turban is working against you in that it does not incorporate the tone of the paper as does the face. That's one of the beauties of working on toned paper, is that you let some of it influence that which is being painted. You don't have to necessarily let it come through cleanly (raw), although that would be good too if handled right. But as I see it, the red turban is not "in" that picture as much as it could be. You have good form to it and on that level it's successful. But the color could do with a lighter touch.

Otherwise, it's working great. The hardest part - the face - fits beautifully and it's fairly well constructed.

justjean
08-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Gary :D

and thank you also DA :D, I see what you mean , I started on a white b/g added the colour I wanted then on a new layer started the face not even thinking abouthow close the colours were and just doing hi lites and shadows to form the face using the b/g colour ... something new for me to try ;)

shechat
08-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Excellent portrait Jean, I love how you have painted the skin

Alexandra
08-23-2011, 08:57 AM
What beautiful colors, her head wrap, her skin tone. So expressive. Great work Jean!

pat1940
08-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Jean, I love the contrast with the red headress, you did a fantastic job on this:):):)

scribbledsoul
08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Jean, this is lovely! I like the soft smoky colors of the skin, and the dramatic color and interesting texture of the headress provides a nice contrast. It has a lot of visual appeal! :)

justjean
08-24-2011, 02:43 AM
thank you Shelia, Sandy, Pat and Scribble your great comments are much appreciated and encouraging :D

coops
08-24-2011, 02:51 AM
You have painted the skin so very very well, well done Jean:)

kenmo
08-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow... this is an incredible painting... Love it a lot....:):):):)

sabena
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow Fantastic Painting:eek::)

AT-TA
08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Good expression on this picture,and as DAkey says.

Steve B
08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
This face is wonderful. I'm surprised you used watercolors. What process did you use? Were you using very small brushes? How many layers for the face? Blending colors on one layer?? etc etc

On the note of the red headdress "popping" out a bit much. I'd like to see you work the background more to allow it to give more to the painting. I think that might also allow the headdress a place to fit in a bit more, if you know what I mean. As I've been told more than once-- "If it's not helping the picture it's hurting it." I'd like to see the background help the painting more, give it some context-- for color, for form-- abstract or otherwise.

Beyond that, I think the face is sucessful in particular.

justjean
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Katie, Ken, Sabena, Anna and Steve for your peaking in and commenting much appreciated :D

Steve, I seldom paint big (usually about the size they are posted at) and so the brush are not small for the area, sometimes I use more than one layer for the face but only to get the colour on then merge them all before blending. I really didn't care about the b/g as this was just an exercise to try and learn about using different textures on different layers ( turban on large heavy grain, the face on same grain but much lighter) and using the oils with full load and pressure :D So many things and different ways to do thing in AR that I hope I'm around to learn at least of few of them :D

hildee
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Marvellous! Very dramatic calmed down with gentle areas