PDA

View Full Version : Cat Watching a Bird

scribbledsoul
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Here is my latest pencil drawing. This is one that I have wanted to do for years. I started the outline sketch in 2006, and it sat in my to do pile for years. I finally pulled it out and dusted it off (literally), and decided to draw it in ArtRage. I'm glad I did; it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

I thought about adding a background, but decided that adding one would lessen the impact of the final drawing.

Hope you guys enjoy it! :)

justjean
08-22-2011, 04:58 PM
This is wonderful , thanks for showing it to us , looking forward to more eye candy :):),

Steve B
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Suuuuuuuuueeeeyy! That is somethin'. What tools did you use, and what method? Would be nice to understand a bit about how you got these results. Were you using a white pencil for some of it, or erasures? Also, the fur on the chest seems wonderfully soft-- were you working at a high res with a small brush, or did you use some other technique? Did you use blenders? etc etc

And yes, beyond all that Artrage stuff, there's clearly a sure hand behind the work. Fun to have you share.

scribbledsoul
08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the comments! I used just the pencil (on the soft tip setting) and eraser (on the hard edges preset), no blending (though I used the eraser lightly to soften and lighten some areas). To create the fur, I started by roughing in the areas first with heavy pencil pressure, to establish the direction of the fur and provide the background shading. Then I went back over it with the eraser on the smallest size and lightened it to the appropriate shade, and established the shape and highlights of the hair. Then it was just a matter of working back and forth between pencil and eraser to sculpt and texturize the fur.

The image was mostly drawn at 100% scale, though sometimes I zoomed out a bit to get a better overall view of the shading and shapes. I never zoomed in closer than 100%, but the dimensions of the original drawing are pretty large (1501 x 1904).

I'm still learning to draw fur; this was kind of an experiment since I am also learning the software. But I'm hooked on drawing cats now; I think my next drawing might be a cat too. This cat was so incredibly fun and challenging to draw!

And I'm glad to be here to share my work too, and to see all of the wonderful work that our other members have created! It's a lot of fun to be part of this community. :D

Steve B
08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I just opened it full scale in another tab. Awesome!!! That's really very nicely done. I don't do much pencil work, so it's very cool to see it done so well, and in Artrage too.

Did you use a special canvas texture, or just the one they give you as the preset??

scribbledsoul
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Let's see, I think I used the Tiny Grain paper. I wanted some grain to the paper, but not so much that it would be hard to create the tiny details that I wanted. :)

Alexandra
08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
WOW! Now, this is skill! Outstanding work!!!!:eek::):):):):):):):):):):):):)

coops
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
This is a brilliant sketch Scribbledsoul, I found myself staring intensely at it to see all the strokes of the fur and then at the eyes. Wonderful job:)

scribbledsoul
08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Thank you, Alexandra and coops! You guys are very encouraging! :)

ENCHANTER
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
wow and puurrrrrfect :)

gxhpainter2
08-23-2011, 02:11 AM
this is a most amazing drawing I have seen for some time....the whiskers and softness of the fur are so extremely real... and the alertness of the cat certainly is there.. I totally agree with all the others. and thanks for sharing how you did this...:eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::coo l:

kenmo
08-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Incredible pencil work....

screenpainter
08-23-2011, 03:04 AM
amazing pencil work! this is awesome.

D Akey
08-23-2011, 05:32 AM
The cat's apparently not the only one with patience, hahah.

Very fine work indeed. Bravo! I love the directions you established with the fur. It works great.

shechat
08-23-2011, 06:19 AM
beautiful work,you have great skill scribblesoul. Hope to see more of your work

Strandy
08-23-2011, 08:09 AM
It's just very cool, how you draw animals http://www.whiskas.com/images/emoticons/21x21/Whiskas_21x21_E_CraftyCat.gif
After showing us the dog, I expected to see something more, but this cat is far above any expectations http://www.whiskas.com/images/emoticons/21x21/Whiskas_21x21_E_MadCat.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of free Whiskas.com emoticons were used for my post. No kind of advertising intended though...

scribbledsoul
08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the kind comments, they mean a lot coming from such a wonderful community! :D

pat1940
08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
FANTASTIC work:):):)

scribbledsoul
08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you Pat! I appreciate you stopping in to look! :)

Bobbi
08-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Simply incredible! Awesome job!

scribbledsoul
08-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Thank you for the kind comment, Bobbi! :)

sabena
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Fantastic painting:eek: i like very much the cats :)

scribbledsoul
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Thank you! I like cats too (my favorite animal). Just for comparison, I wanted to share my first attempt at drawing this cat, which was about six years ago. Due to a major wrist injury at the time, I never finished the original drawing.

It was done in real media: Prismacolor colored pencils on Strathmore Bristol. I have thought seriously about finishing the original drawing, but I can't even remember what colors I was using! And I have learned more about drawing fur; I might approach it differently now than I did back then. :p

So here it is, and boy does seeing that picture bring back memories of the many hours I spent working on it lol. Sorry the picture is so small; I'm not sure what happened to the original scan. And the colors are much brighter in real life; the scanner I was using didn't pick up a lot of the different shades. :)

J Witt
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
wonderful work.

HarlequiNQB
08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Excellent. I keep looking at it trying to work out how you so perfectly captured the shapes of the cat's head, and eventually concluded that you're just brilliant :)

Thank you also for the look at the original work, and the tips on how you so perfectly captured the fur. Bravo!

scribbledsoul
08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't know about brilliant, but I am stubborn! Not to mention a very obsessive perfectionist...lol. (I drive my husband nuts.) :p

Thanks for stopping by to have a look, and sharing your opinions! :D

eighty+
08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
hi Mary getting better all the time thanks for the know how what about

time how long as don't think I would have the patience ?? :eek::eek:

scribbledsoul
08-25-2011, 01:26 AM
About two or three days of fairly steady work, I think (though the original outline was done several years ago). I'm not sure; it all kind of blurred into a coffee-fueled haze hehe. Thanks for the compliment!

felixdk
08-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Incredible images, your feeling for cats really shows in both versions.

scribbledsoul
08-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Thank you! I think cats are endlessly fascinating. :)