PDA

View Full Version : Winter in the woods

jibes
08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Took about an hour. Started with a Ref for the rough in.
I didn't use the color picker at any time on this one. What I mean is I normally will capture color from some area I have painted and use it to refine the area I have already painted or use it to get close to a color I need. I thought 'a traditional painter doesn't do that' and so I reasoned that if I didn't then it would be good training to do it the old fashion way! I'm not saying I will never use the picker again or that it's wrong to use it. It's just that if I didn't I could get close to what I want but would add some color variety this way. I never have used the picker on a Ref Photo except when I first started painting.

alkratzer
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great! Al

AT-TA
08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
So substantial, but airy and winter magic shines throughout the whole scene.

Bravo, bravissimo, wunderbar, herrlich,oustanding. Love this pic,jibes.:) Good you didn't pick, this wouldn't be so gorgeous if you didn't put to work your imagination.:):)

hildee
08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Beautiful winter colours, love your confident brush strokes. Such a great painting!

sabena
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Wonderful painting good work:)

Jasminek
08-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Stunning good, cold woods.:)

Alexandra
08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Another outstanding piece Neal.:):):):):)

gxhpainter2
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Neal... this is a really nice effort... the line energy and verticals and the softness of the snow against the flat blue sky.. I also like the grainy texture like pastels mixed with the flat color of oils... works well. As far as using /not using the color picker I think is more a matter of convenience. If you pick from a reference photo then your colors in the painting will be weak since painting colors are much more saturated. I use it to pick out color areas in my abstracts sometimes to set the tint and tonal level and then move to other areas (hue or tone ) to keep things consistant.. but as AT-TA implies better to train your eye and imagination ( painterly sense on what make for an interesting and strong painting ).... ;);):):)

scribbledsoul
08-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Oh!!! I love the colors! So beautiful, I can almost feel the chill... :)

felixdk
08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Excellent winter scene.

L Skylar Brown
08-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Well, this will be one of my faves of yours!
When I started using AR, I used to make color sample collections (ref to my Golden Tones palette). Now, I just have the entire color wheel always, so I just tap a color. If it doesn't quite match the surround, I just blend a bit more. It Does give a More Realistic Painterly effect.

Strandy
08-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Before replying to your post I checked the Gallery once more, just to avoid any discrepancies :cool: Yep, it's quite evident, It's one of your best. It looks like speed painting might be your strong way to create. Very cool :cool:

jibes
08-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Only time for a quick thanks to all who viewed and commented on my painting.

justjean
08-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Neal, this is a wonderful painting, one can feel the cold and hear the quiet of that woodland path

kenmo
08-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Very beautiful scene...

D Akey
08-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Send some of that cool air this way please. Was 103 the day before yesterday. Now it's down right frosty in the 90s.

I did look at this pic and it feels very refreshing to see. Also the front right tree in particular is very intriguing in how you come and go with the edge. Makes it mesh with the rest of the painting as a whole. It integrates it, shall I say as opposed to a graphics approach that is more outlined and separate.

Cool.

coops
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh would love to walk down that path as it looks like a crisp and clear day. Great painting Neal:)

MSIE
08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
beautiful beautiful painting, I love the birch tree and how you used those blue colours for the ground. great mix of tools as well!

I like this a lot :) :)

pat1940
08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Beautiful Neal, what a fantastic speed painting this is, great job:):):)

jibes
08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks again for all the great comments!! Back from a camping trip, back out tomorrow.