PDA

View Full Version : Black Haired Hootin' Beauty/Changed Bluto

Alexandra
08-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Per suggestion of Cartoonman, I had to try drawing Olive Oyl and Bluto.
I experimented with duplicating my drawing and using watercolor effect on a smooth canvas, and it kind of blurred my characters while leaving an outline. Maybe blurred too much.
I probably will go over this one a bit. I had a hard time drawing Bluto, and his head is kind of strange, and teeth not like the original, anyway, here is my attempt. Also I glazed a few layers as well.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy Olive Oyl as a Hooter server with an admirer on the outside.:p:)

gxhpainter2
08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Sandy... LOL... you did a remarkable job on this the leering Bluto and stringbean Olive Oil expressions are great... super super work !!:cool::cool::cool::):):):):):):):):):)

Bobbi
08-08-2011, 09:33 AM
This is certainly a fun picture. Like it.

kenmo
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Love your version of these two cartoon greats.... Now ya' gotta do more... Heckle & Jeckle, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker come to mind....:):):)

Juz
08-08-2011, 01:30 PM
:D:DROFL:D:D
This concept is hysterical.
Wonderful piece, love the pose of Olive and I think it looks exactly like Bluto.
I'm going to have to watch this thread for D.Akey's comment ;):D

Alexandra
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Gary, Thanks so much. You know when Cartoonman suggested this, I thought woah, this is going to be a challenge! yippeeee!
I had to use a lot of references and researched the characters started in 1919! Olive Oyl was the sister to Caster Oyl spelled this way back then. I have a great appreciation for the old cartoons, the humor, and detailed art.:)

Thanks so much Bobbi, much appreciated dear lady!:)

Ken, thanks so much! Those were great cartoons for sure.:)

Juz, Thanks so much! Wasn't that a great idea of John? I am sure that more ideas could be painted. No telling what Cesare would paint!:eek::o:D
I can't ever imagine what our dear D Akey will say. Sometimes great and useful crit, or something that will bring tears of laughter to my eyes.:)

semd74
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
You did a wonderful job with it Sandy :):):)

Alexandra
08-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Thank you dear Steve, but I am already having the "Monks" as I now label it....going to have to go over Bluto and Olive. When I duplicated my drawing, the blurriness was not what I wanted, but I did get an outlined shadowy effect I liked on this smooth surface. I will see what I can do. I am thankful for layers.:rolleyes:;):)

cartuneman
08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm going to laugh all day !!!!! Great work. Now I need to motivate myself and do one just so I can have fun in doing it. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

D Akey
08-09-2011, 02:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

Very funny. Short-order Bluto is pretty Oyled up I would say.

It's a wonderful vignette. Very funny and I could see thousands of these being run off the press and ending up in sports bars across the land. Your sense of scale throughout is distorted just enough to make everything consistently light and amusing. Great balance.

Alexandra
08-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Thanks so much John, I worked on it a bit, I sure hope you can take another peek. I can't wait to see yours!:D

D Akey, Thanks so much!!! So happy you enjoyed this, and I would say you are certainly right, he is about to "slip" in from the window.:D:p:D

coops
08-09-2011, 06:10 AM
This is brilliant and oh so dunny Sandy, can almost hear their voices.:)

shechat
08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Wonderful Sandy, full of humour and beatifully done.

D Akey
08-09-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm okay with either. Both are fun. In the first one, I'm going with the window going to the grill (clouds being steam or something), and he looks like Mel, the owner and cook in Mel's Diner from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. In my mind he could even have a chef's hat. But it's a sailor's hat with fits anyway cause it's Bluto. It's white. Says food preparation. Doubt they would have a spinach salad on the menu though. Not in a joint like this.

Him going after Olive. . . dunno. It's funny either way. No preference. Neither adds nor detracts. Could, I suppose, have one of those round things they pin the order slips to. . . or any restaurant grill prop really.

One of those things about these little fantasies is that it doesn't exist until you do it. And as such you get to tell your story any which-a-way you like. I don't think anyone will question it, but the more info, with certain limits, you visually provide, the less likely that the interpretation will go to a different place you intended.

But it's complete for me now because of the two pictures because there are a couple of hoots. . . and that's two more that the very straight Miss Oyl is usually given.

MJSparks
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Cool rendition. I knew exactly who they were! I vote for Underdog and Sweet Polly Purebred!

Alexandra
08-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Katie, Shelia, D Akey, Magen: Thanks so much!

D Akey, thanks again for taking another look. I think later when I am feeling brave I will add Wimpy and Popeye.;)

cartuneman
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm still giggling.....I have the same outlook as D Akey. This is a wonderful piece. You can add the other characters if ya like but I think it works as is. I wouldn't muddy what you've created. Now if you created a different scene with the new characters then that would be a great piece as well. A buddy of mine drew Olive oil as a pole dancer once and had the cast of other characters around the dance floor throwing dollars. it was outrageous. Beatle Baily was even one of the characters in the pic ...even betty boob was a waitress. I've always thought this Idea of taking well known cartoon characters and putting them in a modern situation and out of their element is a real winner. Hummmm? I can see it now..... A hooters Calander with cartoon characters lol....you are doing fantastic work here young lady!

Alexandra
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
John, Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will keep practicing. Your comment means the world to me!
Now, I can just imagine this pole dancing painting with these loved cartoon characters, how hilarious!:eek::D

Belvrog
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
This is brilliant Sandy. Hahahaha. Too funny.
Great exaggerated posture. Love its style and palette. What a great painting!!!

Alexandra
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much Belvrog, so pleased you liked it!