PDA

View Full Version : Copy of a portrait by Lucian Freud

Caesar
07-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Since he died few days ago, I quickly copied one of his self-portraits in three-four hours. didn't get mad with any trick, just tried to use it as a reference. Apart from a less sleak face I also got likeness too I think.
I hope You may like this too. Same approach as the recent ones, but I made it more complex. I started with a fixed set of samples.
Look from some distance, it's better I guess.

pat1940
07-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Caesar, was not familiar with this artist so I checked out his site, and you did a fantastic job of his copy, I think that would have been very difficult to do his portrait but you really succeeded in doing so, great job;):):):)

D Akey
07-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice one. I especially like the body. The forms read very well. The head isn't bad either. But the shoulders and all that work for me a little better. It looks a little more commandingly painted. Cool.

Caesar
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Thank ou, dear Pat! It was difficult, but absolutely interesting and I would like to get more of his lessons in the future. Apart from Freud's realistic expressionism, which is not fully in my chords (it's a rather north European mood to express dramatic effects), I really admire his technically perfection and the capability to describe with few and appropriate thick brushstrokes any reality, in all its weight.

Your right, dear D Akey. Unfortunately I started with the wrong limited palette I imagined and which wasn't that good, especially to describe the darkest tones transitions, but I didn't want to elude this further challenge anyway. Maybe next time I'll take back my free, intuitive color picking and I'll try to add even more thick paint texture adding also some chalk ... Thank You!

semd74
07-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Excellent !!! You are very talented my friend...

limey-g
07-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Excellent work Caesar, I just love how you have the skill to use colour so well to bring out the contours of your subject.
Geoff

Alexandra
07-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Wow Cesare, what a presence you've painted. Excellent work!

kenmo
07-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Excellent results.....

gxhpainter2
07-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Caesar... excellent copy of the this... really well done..

coops
07-29-2011, 07:19 AM
This is an excellent portrait Cesare and great work from you:)

mannafig
07-29-2011, 09:16 AM
I had never heard of the artist. But you have done a fantastic job:):)

Caesar
07-29-2011, 09:52 PM
For anyone wishing to know about him, he's German born, grandson of Freud the psychologist (who was Austrian) and lived since long time in England where he made also a quite peculiar portrait of Queen Elisabeth ...
Have a look her to his works:
http://www.google.it/search?q=Lucian+Freud&hl=it&prmd=ivnsuo&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iIEyToy6IMjKsga53InpBg&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1003&bih=592

Thank You, dear Sandra. I posed to many limitation to my procedure and I could have done better or should have worked much more on his face to tones transition and having more middle-light tones.

I'm glad You liked this, dear Kenmo. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Gary. Not so easy to depict some one who appeared quite different from my character, but I really appreciated his enormous
mastery.

I appreciate Your approval very much, dear Katie. Thank You!

Dear Amanda, I gave some indications above about him and a link to his paintings if You wish to know a little more. Thank You for Your comment!

AT-TA
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
So many peaks and valleys in this face... and i like to walk them with my eyes.... impressive mister C. :)

Caesar
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank You, dear Anna! Not one of my best, but a quite impressive face anyway ...