PDA

View Full Version : Fiat lux - Abstract fun continues ...

Caesar
07-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Here I just tried to put togerther a huge collection of visual clues I got from my custom brushes/ stickers as a challenge to keep them all together in some sort of harmony and balance.
With Artrage blending features i applied to one of my colored sheet i declined the basic image in several interesting features. One in particular may be perhaps defined " la Byroncallas" and one " la Ghxpainter" (considering their palette at least), although they're just a poor and partly by chance emulation of their artistry ...
Guess which ones. Another one may possibly look like Braque went abstract.
I hope You may enjoy this crazy mess.

Caesar
07-19-2011, 01:18 AM
... and here's the last one.

gxhpainter2
07-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Caesar... wow what a fascinating set of images... much like Monet's Haystack series.... I think it is cool how each image has such a different character depending on how you shifted the colors.. different aspects take dominance... far from a mess I find it has a certain static balance, complex yes but kind of a mix of Braque and Kandinsky a rich tapestry of form and line and edge...I am so happy with your experiment and it's result:cool::cool::cool:;););):D:D:D:D

MSIE
07-19-2011, 02:43 AM
stunning! :eek: :)

I'd say
#3 ~ gxhpainter
#5 ~Braque and
#6 ~Byroncallas

I enjoyed looking at all your paintings, very interesting results in shifting colours - I sometimes do that too, but I try to force me to decide on a single variation :o:rolleyes:

Caesar
07-19-2011, 02:57 AM
Thank You very much, dear Gary! Apart from some sort driving visual set of neurons I might have grown, I obviously stumbled in a few happy accidents too and only selected some convincing enough path and happy ending ...

You're right on all, dear MSIE, emulations and also refraining from any wide range of versions. Actually I could have limited myself to only the three You spotted (and I just erased three more variants), but I had to mix a little bit cards for the quiz ...:D Thank You!

justjean
07-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Dear Caesar, a wondrous compliment of shapes, textures, design and placement :D

mannafig
07-19-2011, 05:08 AM
very interesting compilation of paintings dear Cesare:):)

jibes
07-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Wow Caesar! This is something great!
At first I thought it was food on display in abstract form but upon closer inspection, no food involved! :):):) I suppose the circle looks like a radish slice to me and thus the preconceived notion.

Alexandra
07-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Brings so much to the imagination, a mechanical brilliance I would say!

AT-TA
07-19-2011, 06:32 AM
You must have such fun, Caesar, lovely shapes, colors and effects. Beautiful.:-)

semd74
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Very interesting collection of images and color...

byroncallas
07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Caesar,

You've certainly thrown yourself into your exuberant and experimental penchant. Terrific on many levels.

With harmony and balance as one of your stated goals I personally lean towards the first image (with the fifth image running second). If nothing else, it appeals to my particular esthetic sense for this type of work. I think you pulled it off well. It's a glorious piece of chaos pulled together to make a balanced and ordered whole much greater than the sum of its parts.

I gather from the exchange that you might suggest that number 6 would be in my ballpark, probably because of some the brighter primary colors. But I would hope if I were moving along with this piece in its production I would end up with something closer to your first image. While the elements are the same in all of the paintings, for me the overall effect of color, texture, and light achieved in the first painting reveals considerably more balanced integration.

These things of course can be highly subjective lacking objective criteria beyond the "I prefer this one" sentiment against which to make choices. I do have my reasons but I'll plead guilty to not detailing beyond my peculiar sentiments.

I do find when I am working that I rarely tweak a whole painting with global mechanical adjustments. Usually the painting has been developing along a certain path and it either is somehow working or it isn't. I find in most cases the global adjustments just enhance what isn't working. Sometimes they help reveal what isn't working making it easier to go back into the original effort and make local corrections that save the day.

I'm just guessing the first painting is closer to your production effort and it seems to me you achieved a striking balance. The additional manipulated versions seem a little less "real" with the enhancements introducing incongruities that lack the same quality of what seems personal choice expressed in the first painting. That may seem a strange thing to say talking about an abstract effort. Perhaps it's fair to accuse me of a bit of BS. But it is the lens I see through and reflects my bias, a bias others legitimately may not share.

So, sharing that bias, I land strongly on really loving the first painting. If you tell me that is the one that is a result of much digital manipulation with one of the other paintings being the source, I'll have to eat my hat and hide my face for a month or so. :):):):D:D:D:):):)

Mostly I just want to say I love your effort and your experimentation and find this engagement an exciting one. You really took a flyer in a whole different direction and landed beautifully. Bravo. :):)

Subsequent Edit: I thought to reflect back on the fifth image, with it's golden and earthier colors. I like it a lot too as it achieves a powerful visual balance. The global tweak seems highly successful which I often find difficult to achieve except when desaturating to black and white, a good method for discovering certain shortcomings. Whatever you did to get that fifth image, I think it's a success. :)

Caesar
07-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Dear Jean, I actually pushed my mind to its limits to keep all this stuff decently together someway. A kind of complexity challenge my brain tend to like as an aged guy alternative to my young time passion for mathematics and their relevant games ... Thank You!

Thank You, dear Amanda! I completed one, but wanted to explore the effect of a further layer and some blending modes to harmonize it in a few different ways.

Dear Jibes, You're possibly right thinking that my subliminal inspiration was from fresh, colorful, vegetable salads of rice or pasta which are so tasty and enjoyable to eat in summertime to then end with the gorgeous season fruits. I cannot exclude it at all and I like this interpretation. Thank You very much!

Right, dear Sandra, a sort of bio-mechanical composition where technology and biology are co-operating to keep beauty alive. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Anna! Next time I'll possibly follow Your great idea and start from some sort of dolls and toys composition as a starting reference ... Where else we may find so many different colors and shapes easily?

This is a sort of entertainment park for the eye, as I saw it, with apath to the different attractions hopefully, dear Semd74. Thank You!

Dear Byron, Your eye, mind and artistic sensibility cannot be deceived. Actually the first one was the one Tha I composed and has got no blending layer.
I also agree with Your appreciation of the tonal version, ochre and dark, which focus just on tones and shapes, that I share. The other ones, although I like some specific colors, or the reduced and harmonic gamut or some rich effects, are someway too confined in a sort virtually created chromatic boundary.
To get the fourth one I just put the herebelow custom colored sheet I produced long ago and used the layer blending mode Hue. Why don't You try it on one of Your works where it may look appropriate and see how it looks like? I think it may be fun and help You to see possible little shortfalls, if any, due to the essentially two colors palette.
You may blur it as appropriate to get the grain You wish I think.
Thank You very much for Your extensive and most interesting considerations which I find absolutely useful in this trip.

byroncallas
07-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Caesar, I shall give your layer go. :):):)

pat1940
07-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Caesar, these are a magnificent collection, very interesting to look at, great job and looks like you had lots of fun;););):):):)

Caesar
07-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd be honoured, dear Byon. Thanks!

Thank You, dear Pat! I'm in free flight mode quite often recently ...:p