PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide

kenmo
07-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I played a bit with the contrast and saturation of my Misty Crossing image and I'm hoping some of you would be kind enough to help me decide which one is the better...

The initial Misty Crossing I posted in this thread

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57701&d=1310524492

Or one of the two in attached here...

Thanks kindly...really appreciate your input...

Cheers

Ken

Rowena
07-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Hi K :)

My personal favorite is the 2nd version, as I find the colors in the other two a bit too saturated for my taste.
But I suppose you could include just a bit of the foreground (of the 3rd example) at a lower density for example - if you wanted to distinguish that part as more colorful than the misty background.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Caesar
07-16-2011, 02:10 AM
The second one for me too, also in consideration of the title which could hardly stand a too vivid lighting I guess ....

semd74
07-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Definitely the 2nd version

Strandy
07-16-2011, 02:58 AM
I agree with Rowena about the need of foreground enhancement and reduction of saturation in the second image. I find the postprocessing in AR a bit limited at it's current stage, but even though it provides some outstanding solutions. I took your jpg file and reimported into AR. I worked a bit with a tinting layer and with the fill tool. I hope you don't mind this manipulation. Here is the image, I got. Just to illustrate what I mean with 'postprocessing'.

Chuckart
07-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi Ken

Second image as i think the alteration helps to push to the back and give a better illusion of depth.

If you flick quickly between the two you should see the boy jumps forward and then back

gxhpainter2
07-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Kenmo... I like the second image but think that if you could mask in a bit of the bottom one especially the water and water lily's for about 1/3 or less of the bottom it would give a boost the the depth of the painting. ( if you have photoshop or elements) .. but the third is a bit too oversaturated overall... like Caesar says the title implies a bit of a desaturated image to get the misty quality... just my 2 cents worth...

D Akey
07-16-2011, 04:46 AM
First, I will say this is really a very full scene and looks wondrous, fitting the lad's awareness of every detail. Very nice.

But I see where none of them are 100% satisfying to you. Each has what works and doesn't.

I think the issue that is snagging you is that you are trying to make it work through adjustments like saturation and all that only. But since the relationships are sort of off, the global adjustment just seems to give you variations of the same off relationship.

The solution as I see it would be to first take all that black/red orange face (depending on the version) off the figure. The shadow especially under his jaw is killing the mood. So adjust the environment to where you like it and then retouch/repaint bits of the figure to fit. I think that will free you up to breathe some life into him. I have seen those kinds of shadows from 3D programs and it shows a heavy mechanical hand.

That's the approach, being that it is so complete. But where you want to get to with it is this: Your figure is the star. All else should be subordinate to his showing the viewer a story. So keep that in mind as well. He has to look boy-like yet absorbing it all, especially in this environment which sort of dazzles with detail. In other words, he has to work, above all else. You can cheat the rest, but he has to be the best thing in the picture.

Otherwise, it's really a tour de force. It's a surprisingly small change that I took a lot of words to say. Very fine work!

eighty+
07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
as a blind bat kenmo I'll plug for the 2nd but I like strandy's water

with algea on it and darker so see the stones on the bottom YEAH

Alexandra
07-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Gosh Ken, this is like asking a woman who loves chocolate which box of candy she would like. It took me the longest time to decide with your wonderful paintings, and I chose the third one, but this is a hard decision as I loved them all.

mannafig
07-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Superb I am another voter on the second painting:):)

AT-TA
07-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I like what strandy has done to this pic. Since it is misty, or should be, the colors could be a bit subdued, but a bit lively at the same time.Very nice illustration Ken.:)

pat1940
07-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Ken, I like the second one also, but as Sandy said, they are all good;):)

kenmo
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with Rowena about the need of foreground enhancement and reduction of saturation in the second image. I find the postprocessing in AR a bit limited at it's current stage, but even though it provides some outstanding solutions. I took your jpg file and reimported into AR. I worked a bit with a tinting layer and with the fill tool. I hope you don't mind this manipulation. Here is the image, I got. Just to illustrate what I mean with 'postprocessing'.

Wow... I like your results... thanks kindly....:):):)

EB
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I have to go with the second

kenmo
07-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Kenmo... I like the second image but think that if you could mask in a bit of the bottom one especially the water and water lily's for about 1/3 or less of the bottom it would give a boost the the depth of the painting. ( if you have photoshop or elements) .. but the third is a bit too oversaturated overall... like Caesar says the title implies a bit of a desaturated image to get the misty quality... just my 2 cents worth...

Thanks kindly for the reply but I'm not sure what you're suggesting? Do you mean to blur the background a bit? Again many thanks for the reply...

gxhpainter2
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Kenmo.... sorry for the confusion on my suggestion.. but this you tube video explains layer masking....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEzqFZvXzM

kenmo
07-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry that's not the confusion as I know what layer masking is and use it alot for my photography... :):):)

I just don't know what you mean by...

I like the second image but think that if you could mask in a bit of the bottom one especially the water and water lily's for about 1/3 or less of the bottom it would give a boost the the depth of the painting.

Are you suggesting I blur the foreground?

Cheers & many thanks...

Ken

barnburner
07-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I definitely like the 2d painting best.
It gets a better feeling of distance over the 1st one, and
retains the misty effect that is largely gone in the 3rd.

Well done Ken. :):)

byroncallas
07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Terrific painting. I'm mostly in DAkey's camp - the universal corrections give "good" effects in one place at the expense of another. And I agree with his opinion you'll have a happier result if you focus first on getting the kid super-superb and then worry about the rest. Unlike most of the posters, I like the original image the best - the affects of the color depth in the blue - it's just visually more interesting rather than shooting for the "realistic right" (for me).

I'd focus on softening the dark shadows on the kid, especially on the kid's chin, get all that orange out of his skin, and change the color of his hair away from that greenish direction and just get really happy with the kid to where you love him. I know everyone else prefers the desaturation for the balance looking to get that mist. But for me, if you get the kid where you want it, I'm thrilled with the rest as it is in the original. For me, trying to get this to be some sort of photo-realistic ambiance takes away from some of it considerable creative and artistic charm that sets it apart from the everyday effort that seems to try to prove one can make something look just like real life. Of course, you do want balance in your final solution. Again, I'd start with the kid and then see if you feel you need touches somewhere else.

As for the discussion that you have to desaturate because the name of the painting somehow suggests it needs to be more "misty", just change the name. That handles a lot of problems really fast. ;)

It's a superfine creative effort. I love it. The original knocks my socks off. :)

kenmo
07-17-2011, 05:22 AM
I desaturated the colors a bit, changed the young blokes hair color, added a dragonfly via one of my AR stencils and put some blackflies/mosquitos (AR Stickerspray) about his head... I also put some more scum into the water....
and softened up some of the shadows about his head...

What do you think now?

byroncallas
07-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Very nice - you seem to have struck a lot of good balances across a wide range of feedback and landed in a very good place. The attention to the boy seems to have really paid off.

It's interesting comparing this to Strandy's manipulations which carries the vision in another direction and is also very interesting. A great thing about threads like this one is illustrating the infinite number of choices we are confronted with to arrive at something that we are satisfied with, and the zillions of paths down which we could travel.

Superb work. I really like the painting a lot. :)

PS: I like the additional scum. :D

justjean
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Ken, I'm late but I think the 2nd is GREAT

kenmo
07-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's a cropped version....

Alexandra
07-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Now Ken, I want the little blond boy back. He reminded me of my son. LOL-No,in the end Ken, you must satisfy the worst critic, you.;):D

Belvrog
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Gets better and better. Really nice atmosphere in this one.:)

byroncallas
07-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Hmmm. The crop makes a whole other painting, and it works really well. I suppose I'll never decide which is "better". It's more they are simply different excellent paintings. :)

HarlequiNQB
07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Every version is good - I don't think I could choose between them (and thankfully I don't have to now). Each has a very different emotional feel, but none of them is invalid, just different, and wonderful.

Jasminek
07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
I have a hard time choosing, if I have to, I like the 1st one!;)

iceaxe
07-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Somewhere between 2 and 3 I think, or possibly as a darkened gray scale with some minimal areas colourised maybe

iceaxe
07-20-2011, 12:49 AM
How about this version?
(I have deleted the temp version of my HD etc)

iceaxe
07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Ok, could not resist one last go at this, this final version is blended with the Strandy version earlier on.... A true collaboration

kenmo
07-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Wow..I like the results.... Many thanks for your efforts...:):):)

gigicharm
07-20-2011, 03:13 AM
I love each and everyone of them but can't figure out how you created the brightness on the third?

Blessings and Great Fantastic Magnificent Spectacular Mesmerizing Work!
GigiCharm:D

Caesar
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
A most interesting and exhaustive study! I probably like the last version which keeps both the refinements and the wider tonal range that is naturally present at close range which provides more depth.

eighty+
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes like the mix of yours with strandys one as shown by Iceaxe ok