PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage Package and Script Files.

MattRage
07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Due to the size of most ArtRage Package Files, and the potential size of Script files that include paintings, while we will be making some available directly from our site we will unfortunately be unable to host them directly on our forums. The storage space and bandwidth required to support them is too much for our current system.

If you would like to share Package and Script Files we suggest you use a free hosting service to store the file, and place a link in a forum post to allow others to download. It's possible that in the future our systems may change to allow files to be included directly, but that isn't on the cards currently.

I've left this thread open so that users can make suggestions as to file sharing services that might be good for Packages and Scripts. We're looking in to some possible alternatives as well.

Strandy
07-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Thank you very much for explanation Matt. :)

BTW: what is actually stored in binary part of the *.arscript file? I stripped that part off from a test file and didn't notice any difference by playback :confused: (beyond of fact the file is now much much smaller)

Someonesane
07-11-2011, 03:09 AM
For anyone looking to share their .arscript and .arpack files, DropBox (http://db.tt/XQqeECQ) offers free file hosting space, and is extremely easy to use. I've also used MediaFire in the past, but I find the advertisements have been getting a bit annoying (multiple pop up windows, etc).

Thank you very much for explanation Matt. :)

BTW: what is actually stored in binary part of the *.arscript file?

If I remember correctly, the binary holds the information for things such as the canvas grains, stencils, and presets. You may not have noticed any change, because it may have defaulted to the same canvas you used (so the texture just happened to match, what was used in the script).

terrygillooly
07-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Ok, call me lazy, but I really don't want to install yet another program or sign up for yet another website.

I understand not having the bandwidth to host, say, a 50MB file. But my script file is 9.89 KB, and I don't think it will clog the servers terribly. ;)

Please consider allowing arscript attachments, limited to under a couple of hundred KB or so.

Thanks!

Someonesane
07-22-2011, 02:58 AM
I'm finding DropBox to be very user friendly, so far. As long as I don't run into any unforeseen complications with the sharing of my files (meaning, I don't end up with so many files I need to share, that my account goes into blackout periods), I doubt I'll be using anything else in the future.

terrygillooly
07-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Someonesane, Dropbox actually looks like the perfect solution to when my PTG files are too big to send through e-mail. (So, thanks for that! :D)

For the forums, though, I was hoping to keep things 'local' and not have to rely on a third party.

Judebox
07-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I have a question about the use of packages.
I have created a package with a pencil, an ink penand a colors set.
When I import it in my other artrage, I can find my pencil and my ink pen but not my colors set.
How can i retreive a color set added by a package ?

Thx ! ;)

Someonesane
07-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I have a question about the use of packages.
I have created a package with a pencil, an ink penand a colors set.
When I import it in my other artrage, I can find my pencil and my ink pen but not my colors set.
How can i retreive a color set added by a package ?

Thx ! ;)

The color samples are saved to the Colors folder in the ArtRage Resources folder. For example, let's say I made a pack where I added a Samples group named "My colors", with a .col sample set named Colors1 in it. When I, or another user, imported that pack later, the Colors1 .col set would be found by opening the Samples panel, selecting on the option to "Import New Local Color Sample Set" (or global) option from the menu, and selecting the "Colors1" file from the "My colors" folder group within the Colors folder (Resources>Colors>My Colors>Colors1).

Judebox
07-26-2011, 01:48 AM
... within the Colors folder (Resources>Colors>My Colors>Colors1).
Hi Someonesane,
Thanks for the answer but I've already looked in this folder after having added my package. And there is no other "col" file instead of the default ones.
I tried to remove and add the package again but I have the same problem.
It is strange because the pencil and ink pen files can be well retreived in the "Resources" folder after the package add.

Someonesane
07-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Hmm. Have you tried to repack the .col file group with the .arscript? Maybe it didn't attach properly, or wasn't dropped over the correct group during its addition to the pack (a mistake I've made a couple times in past). If you have tried to recreate the pack group, and it still does show, then it might be a bug, which the AR team will have to look for.

Judebox
07-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I have found the "problem".
When we add a package, the files are not installed in the "Resources" folder located in the installation folder (for me, under "Program Files").
They are installed in the "Resources" folder located here :
"C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage 3\Resources"
It is not a problem for the pens because Artrage permit de choose it by the user interface. But for the colors, we have to locate the "col" file. The problem is that "AppData" is an hidden folder and so it is not very practical (I don't want to have to show the hidden folders).
Maybe an option could be added in the next releases to choose the colors added in a simpliest way (like the pens).

Someonesane
07-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Selecting Tools > User Content > Open Users Color Pickers Folder will bring you directly to the folder, without having to remove the hidden feature. It'd be nice to have that option directly on the Samples panels menu, too, like the Stencils panel and the presets panel has.

Juz
07-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Due to the size of most ArtRage Package Files, and the potential size of Script files that include paintings, while we will be making some available directly from our site we will unfortunately be unable to host them directly on our forums.

Hiya Matt :)
Just wondering if it would be possible for Ambient to allow .arpack files with the same file size limitations as .pdf and .stk files for upload here?

MattRage
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Now that we've released 3.5.1 we're going to start looking at Package and Script options again, I'll let you know as soon as we have something sorted, but that may be an option!

Juz
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Fantastic... thanks Matt :)

Prashant Jr.
08-24-2013, 12:30 AM
How I can get the packages for my artrage 4 ??????

Someonesane
08-24-2013, 01:54 AM
How I can get the packages for my artrage 4 ??????

I'm not sure what you mean. You just locate a package from the Supply forum (or wherever someone may have posted one) and save it to your computer. They should all work for ArtRage 4, since AR4 is the newest version of the program.

LaFemmeDuLac
10-30-2022, 01:16 AM
I agree with you. I hesitate always to load unknown sides, programs. After all you have difficulties and it does not work, is not compatible. You have ads without end. Your storage capacity might be giong to be full of useless stuff. If it is, that ArtRage does not have enough server capacity and has to buy it or so, clouds. Well, I am prepare to pay for it and have it all from one hand and like now: Without advertisement included into this program.
Also would I pay for additional packages.
What do I all pay for ad free: YouTube, a years fee, Google. 1+ per month e. g.
And ArtRage fine though!