PDA

View Full Version : Armageddon Repair Facility, Can I Help You Sir of Mam

P. D. Dinkles
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't think a painting that requires much description is good. Unfortunately, this one does.

It is a picture of a naval shipyard where they repair nuclear submarines and other implements of destruction. The painting attempts to depict looking across a worn out pier toward some of the structures in the background. It is a place of nausea, dirty, dank physically as is it's mission.

Truly a relic of the cold war that persists for whatever reason, at great cost. And it makes me wonder who we are and why we continue to prepare for Armageddon. The military industrial complex, as Eisenhower warned us, needs to be brought under control.

Sorry for the political rant. I don't want to disenfranchise myself. But that is what I painted.

gxhpainter2
07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
PD love the political statement and title... the painting is good too... hopefully you don't live close...

P. D. Dinkles
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks GXH. Found it on my hard drive so I finished it up. Quite Iffy I think. But I learned along the way.

Saw your Flash Flood. Looks great all that colorful debris moving down stream. It made me remember when we used to float everything from popsicle sticks to leaves to plastic boats down the curb following a Southern California gully womper.

Talk again soon.

coops
07-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Nice textures in this one P.D. well done:)

justjean
07-10-2011, 11:22 PM
PD, I beg to differ, I think it's great :D, I might not have got your intention but to me as soon as I looked it screamed desolation

barnburner
07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Excellent painting. As a huge fan of Ike, I am in total agreement with his warning on the military industrial complex. Not only have they helped bancrupt this country, they have caused a great many men and women to die needlessly.

pat1940
07-11-2011, 02:17 AM
PD your explanation on this painting makes the painting a well thought out image, great job:):)

P. D. Dinkles
07-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Well, thank you everyone for your looking and commenting.

Barnburner: I agree with you totally. I too am a big fan of Ike. My favorite quote is, "The plan is nothing. Planning is everything." He was referring to preparing for D-Day. And his farewell speech is unbelievable for a general and retiring president to warn us. I used that quote in emergency preparedness throughout my career.

JustJean: Yes I thought it was desolate. I thought of calling it Desolation Row. But I was feeling biblical, thus, Armageddon.

Pat: Thanks. It is a kind of dark theme again. But it was a message I had on my mind for a long time.

byroncallas
07-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation. Terrific exercise.

shechat
07-11-2011, 06:38 AM
It looks so desolate and chilling PD

ScottF
07-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Great painting, PD! The history adds, but the painting speaks for itself.

MSIE
07-11-2011, 09:16 AM
thanks for sharing the background story of your painting with us. great painting I'd say! :)

Alexandra
07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Great example of what can no longer be ignored PD.