PDA

View Full Version : Still no tablet :0(

Blanusia
04-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Hello! I would be very apreciate for some suggestions about tablets. What shall I chose, what`s the most important thing in tablet, what type and so on so on :) Thank you!
And this is my second try in Artrage. But it takes too much time using the mouse. Slowly I`m losing my patience :?

sbug51
04-25-2006, 05:35 AM
wow! i love how your strokes are done! really amazing, and only by using a mouse, thats great!

Aged P
04-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Think about the Wacom Intuos3 it's about middle of the Wacom range.
It detects both pressure and the angle of the pen. It has a few different nibs so that you can use one that feels right for you.
I love it and lots of people use it.

Beware of the Volito2, the nibs wear out and you cannot change them.
A new pen is very expensive.

waheednasir
04-25-2006, 06:53 AM
good work blanusia...nice colors...:).
about tablets, let me give u a choice, but its upto u what to get. i myself, have wacom graphir at home, smallest size, it works fine for me, paintings that ive shared here, are done with that, most of them. even the last one "Heaven on earth". for me size is not important, as i think, its all in your hands and its a matter of getting used to it. but thats what i personaly think, others have all the right to disagree though. at work, we do have another brand, known as Genius. its way cheaper than Wacom, it works fine as well, just that the pen is a bit heavy, might be coz of the cell, thats inside, but im not sure. imp. part is it works fine. but ofcouse people prefer wacom over every other brand. i would just suggest, that do check all the available brands, see their properties, prices etc etc. before u buy one. one more things, is to get a cheaper brand first, get used to using the tablet and then later buy a professional one. its all upto u. wish u all the best...:).

Blanusia
04-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Thank all of you so much for suggestions about the tablet. I`ll get one for sure in the fiture, but I really worry if I manage to use it ;) So I think it`s a good idea to get used to tablet first (cheaper brand) and than get a better one. Thanx once again!

@Waheednasir: what size is your tablet?

kazaroval
04-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Nice drawing....... :)

As tablet i have a wacom intuos 3 in a5 format....and im very happy ... you cant go wrong with it.

Fashmir
04-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Blanusia- This character is engaging and fun. Hats off to you for accomplishing such a great image with a mouse (the equivalent of drawing with a short pencil shoved into a bar of soap). Well done!

My memories of having to use a mouse to create art are dim as I have had the good fortune of using a Wacom since the early 90's. My advice to you is that if you choose to get a less expensive tablet try to make it a Wacom. It's the pen. They are light and feel very natural in the hand making digital art creation so much more like natural media. I used a Kurta pad early in my digital painting career and found the pen too fat and heavy. I know other brands have improved their pens but Wacom is still tops IMHO.

Blanusia
04-25-2006, 08:02 AM
@Fashmir: I like your comparison of drawing with a mouse very much :D Good point!

@Aged P: What is the lifetime for nibs in Volito2? Does the pen support tilt? I know I should be aware with this tablet, but for now I see the prize is not so high and it`s still Wacom, that`s why I`m asking :)

What is the good size for tablet? Shall I get A5? Is it enough? Some of you said here about A5 so I guess this is what I will buy. Thank you for your help!

And I have to say that there are so many nice people on this forum. Somehow it gives more motivation for next drawing ;)

AndyRage
04-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Wow, that's a really cool character! And you've painted his so well - the shading and lighting gives a very real sense of 3d about him.
And he's cute!

AndyRage.

Aged P
04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi,

Volito2 does not support tilt.
The nib lasted about 10 weeks.
The problem is that you then have to buy a whole new pen. The new pen on it's own is almost the same price as a new Volito2 system.

I have the A5 Intuos3. It fits on the desk easily and is the cheapest version. It does detect tilt and that's important for Airbrush use.
I thought that A5 would be diifficult to use, but it isn't. It's about the same space you use for a mouse.

I will attach a detail of a picture to show you what it can do. (This picture may already be on the forum)

Blanusia
04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Thank you, Aged P! I like your picture, thank you. And now I know I will not buy Volito2. I thought that the nib will work longer. No sense in buying such a thing. :)
I guess A5 is enough for me too. The first thought was "oh, it`s so small, how to draw on it?", but as most of you use A5, I`m sure it will be ok :)

And greetings to everyone for saying such nice words about my dragon :)

hanzz
04-26-2006, 02:05 AM
since you're from Europe, you might want to try a tablet that is much cheaper.It's a good brand, because I used it until 2.5 years ago, it gave me very much pleasure.
the brand is called "trust"
http://trust.com/products/productgrp.aspx?grp=TABLETS

In my country (Belgium) you can find trust products nearly everywhere.

have fun !

edit: now I use the Intuos 3.

DMerchen
04-27-2006, 04:01 AM
This is very nice. I love cartoons and cartoony characters, oh and dragons. :D I love the smooth feel on the character you have achieved here. I have been working with AR2 for a few nights now, and I can't get that same feeling as much as I try. :cry: I am trying, but nothing has satisfied me yet. I have some ideas in my head, but they are not coming out yet until I can get this smoothing and blending colors thing down a little better. Any tips? Great image!!!

Blanusia
04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
@Hanzz: Thank you for your next tips about tablets! I`ll look around in the shops here in Poland, see what I can get :)
I don`t know if you read it in older topic - I like your caricatures very much! And thanks for the Al Pacino! :) One of my heros :) Maybe you`ll draw Roxette one day... ;)

@DMerchen: I`m very happy that you like my dragon. Telling the truth this is my second picture in AR2, so I don`t consider myself as a person who can give advice in painting. There are some parts in this dragon which also don`t satisfy me, for example the wing. It wasn`t so easy for me to get this smooth effect too, because I used my mouse here only, since I don`t have a tablet yet. So don`t worry. I`m sure we`ll be better and better ;) In this picture I used only oil brush and airbrush on the pencil sketch. After filling the whole dragon just in green I removed the pencil layer, because it didn`t allow me to focus on the shadows and smoothing colours :) After that bit by bit I tried to make this "3D" effect using mostly brush with auto-clean off. Airbrush was very useful here, not only for the dots on the dragon`s body ;)
Good luck to you! :)

bleepnik
05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Awwww, that's one of the cutest dragons I've ever seen! I love the little puffed cheek and the little rounded face, and the little scales, and the little... oh okay, you get the point. =] If you had this made into a plush toy, I would buy it in a heartbeat! (I will call it Squishy, and it will be mine.)

I look forward to seeing much more of your work, with a mouse or with a tablet!

- Gita

laurghita
05-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I just buy Volito 2... thinking the price of a new pen http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90167760.asp?agent=610&pm=b+AT I think is not so much problem twice a year.

Blanusia
05-06-2006, 12:35 AM
@JustG: thank you for your kind words :) I like the idea about plush toy, I should consider it ;) And you`ll get one from me :)