PDA

View Full Version : An American in San Felipe

P. D. Dinkles
06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
As a young student I recall an art project in which a shoebox served as the backdrop of a story we portrayed placing paper trees, houses, horses, fences mountains, etc. It was called a diorama. You probably made them as well. In painting this piece it felt like I was creating a diorama, in which the story is told in a limited two dimensional space in which the story is told.

This is a story of a returning veteran that spends a year in San Felipe in R&R, rest and relaxation, before he continues on with his life. No shamans, just tequila and talking cats.

It is also a tribute to the great people of Mexico for whom I hold my deepest respect. I imagine we were as great a people as they until something happened. We journeyed from the path with heart.

Now life is out of balance.

Koyaanisqatsi.

gxhpainter2
06-12-2011, 04:08 AM
PD - this is a powerful iconic work.. with all the symbols necessary to talk of opposition to the establishment, freedom and revolution ( Che ) and the gecko on the wall the seagull , the tequila bottle... lend a wistful quality of memories of past glories.... very well done:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:. Using Alberto Korda's famous image of Che on the Mexican flag is an instant symbol that arises whenever there is conflict.

ScottF
06-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Very interesting and nicely done, P. D. Im a great fan of all Latin American folk art, and here you have captured it essence. Bien hecho!

S5T68IS2TA
06-12-2011, 05:48 AM
A classic with the forms and all the colors of Mexico. I guess a sincere tribute from your part. It's pleasant to the physical eye as well as the spiritual! Very nicely done fireman Dinkles.

P. D. Dinkles
06-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Thank you guys. You know how I admire your unique work.

S5T68IS2TA, I like your depiction of El Che in your gallery.

Paint on boys. Paint on.

pat1940
06-12-2011, 10:23 AM
PD this is so interesting to look at, you accomplished what you wanted to do, great work:);)

P. D. Dinkles
06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Pat:

Thank you. But have you seen the beautiful and diverse paintings of Pat1940. They are interesting and serenely beautiful.

jibes
06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
PD, You and Gary do some pretty cool stuff. Although I'm no fan of Che (he helped that low-life Castro get installed), I still like your Painting very much. I like the color scheme and the composition. Way to go !!

P. D. Dinkles
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Thank you Jibes for exchanging ideas. I spent some time looking at your prolific gallery. Your paintings are unique, diverse, and have a wonderful character.

From one who draws stick men.

Jibes and others, In the iconic image of Che Guevara juxtaposed with the virgin Mary I attempted to both comment on their deep religious faith and their revolutionary zeal. If anyone needs a revolution to redistribute the wealth and power maintained by a few, it's Mexico. In Mexico you are either very rich or very poor.

Caesar
06-14-2011, 02:12 AM
... another declination of the concept of .... An Englishman in New York. :D Wonderfully evocative and mody!

D Akey
06-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Nice. Wasn't Che Argentinian? Definitely saw his image more than a few times, certainly among the Latino community, and of course everywhere in the 60s. What an iconic image.

I haven't heard the word diorama since my son did one for school. They're cool. His had dinosaurs.

This has a feeling of a cross between a shadow box and a tableau without the figures. Neat concept. Something like cataloging the elements of a reminiscence, not unlike kicking back and doing the verbal nostalgia dance. I have taken to doing so with old friends.

I could see this as a set for a stage play about that time. Now we just need an audio track for ambiance.

P. D. Dinkles
06-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Caesar, or an American in Paris.

P. D. Dinkles
06-14-2011, 06:32 AM
D Akey thanks for you comments, Yes Che was born in Argentina.

Alexandra
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Amazing piece with so much to tell PD!