PDA

View Full Version : Drawing with a pencil

mannafig
05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
After a request I am going to try to explain
how to draw on One layer. Using the pencil, Eraser and Palette knife.
I have also attached my settings for paper and pencil.
The palette knife setting is on pic 2.

I will do my best to make this a good tutorial that you can all enjoy and use Amanda:):)

barnburner
05-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Amanda, I am absolutely excited to see how you do this. Thank you so much for doing this tutorial. :):)

mannafig
05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
You are welcome dear friend.:):)
If I happen to miss any bits out as I go let me know
I tend to get carried away with pencil and forget to explain
how I do it.
(It's more a case of the pencil leads me rather that the other way round:o:rolleyes:)

mannafig
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Now I am going to do a Masquerade mask so feel free to use the outline if you wish.

in Pic2 just using the pencil tool on 100%size just outline the eye.

In Pic3 use the pencil with full tilt angle and gently pencil the nose shape.

limey-g
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Amanda , very informative and useful.
Geoff

barnburner
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I knew this was going to be good.. :)

semd74
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Thankyou Amanda !!!

mannafig
05-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Yay my Mac is back:D:D

Thank you dear Limey, Mike & Sem So pleased you are liking this Tut.:):)

Anyway back to drawing.
here are two more steps.

mannafig
05-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Another addition:):)

kenmo
05-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks kindly for sharing this....!!!!:o:o:o

mannafig
05-20-2011, 06:05 AM
You are very welcome Kenmo:):)

To get a nice shiny look on the ribbon at the bottom I penciled it all making it darker where the shadow will be then blended using the palette knife and for the finishing touches I used the
Eraser on 100% Softness
and 1 or 2% pressure
If there are any other bits I have missed or you would like to know just ask and I will do my best to help:):)

Docsmith626
05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Amanda, that is awesome! :eek:

barnburner
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow...I have to find some time to try this out.
Wonderful stuff Amanda. Thank you! :):)

mannafig
05-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Thank you dear Doc:):)

I look forward to seeing what you do dear Mike:):)

mannafig
05-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Here is a bit more:):)

mannafig
05-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Done Done and Done.

I finished this off using the techniques that I have explained in this tut
But if I have missed anything let me know I will do my best to help:):)

Saphire
05-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Wow! This is stunning Mannafig.
Thank you for the very detailed tutorial, I haven't tried the pencil in artrage but after seeing what can be done with it I must give it a go.

mannafig
05-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you dear Saphire:):)
I hope you post your drawings I would love to see them:):)

pat1940
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Thankyou for the great tutorial Amanda, going to try this, probably will need a lot of practise, so dont hold your breath waiting to see it posted lol:D:D:D

kenmo
08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
You are an excellent teacher and an incredibly talented artist... Thanks so much....

dcahall
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Any way to get you to combine all of this in a PDF file so I can print off and look at it as I try to recreate this? I am just trying to learn to draw and this is the type of tutoral I have been looking for.

I am not an artist so I try to learn techiques from tutorials like this so I can go of and learn to draw.

I would also be excited to see how to create something like this in color so I could understand how to achieve highlights and etc.

Be patient with me. I have never had any kind of art lessons so I am REALLY a rookie. I love this tool and want to learn create stuff on my own but am haing some problems getting started.

Juz
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Excellent tutorial Mannafig, has been added to the list :)

Sethren
08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I can muster up a PDF very quickly with mannafig's permission of course.

dcahall
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
That would be wonderful. Your work is outstanding and novices like myself can learn a lot from people from you.

IMO people like myself who are just getting started and trying to first have to learn how to see the things people like yourself see natively. As an examle, when I am watching TV, looking at printed material and other things, I try to see the color variations and other little "illusions" that trick us into seeing perspective and shapes even though the image is 2D. I think I see those things (at least at times) but it is then difficult to capture those subtleties into art work. Your tutorial does a great job of providing some "how to" to address this weakness.

I look forward to seeing more tutorials from you. Again, since I do not have an external moitor and am working on my laptop, tutorials that I can print off and reference while working are a big plus (at least for novices like myself).

Perhaps a PDF version could be added to the ArtRage site.

dcahall
08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Mannafig, I am very excited. I finally fiished your tutorial. I am just trying to learn to draw and feel I learned a lot from you. As you can see below, my drawing is no way near yours, I came a lot closer than I dreamed I would. I did cheat a little by starting with your outline.

In many tutorials like this, there is sometimes basic knowledge assumed that many of us do not have. In several cases I struggled (lots of ctrl-z) to try to figure out which preset and the appropriate settings to use. Some of that could also just be my lack of experience with pencil drawings (ignoring the AR tool).

More specifically, here are some things I struggled with:

1. At times I had a lot of trouble getting lines as hard/dark as I wanted them. I think part of that was not knowing which preset to use to achieve the correct effect.

2. I struggled several times trying to figure out how to use the pallet knife. As you notice, I missed the mark fairly frequently but think I have at least got the basic idea now.

3. There were times when I tried to draw things like the eyes on he butterfly and used smoothing. I have tried this other times as well and if I draw something like a circle with smoothing, it always winds up much smaller that what I was trying to draw. Am I doing something wrong of is this a limitation of the tool?

Again, I want to thank you for giving me such a good starting point. As I said previously, I think (hope :)) I learned a lot. I think some of my problems may be related to not having any experience with either the tool or doing it with good old fashion pencils.

I look forward to any future tutorials you may post. You have encouraged me to keep trying to learn.

MJSparks
08-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Wow, look how great this is. You're doing fabulous.

I don't know what settings Manna used for her wonderful pencil drawings, but I can help with the smoothing.

That smoothing setting is kind of a bear. It's trying to make your lines as smooth as possible, but it doesn't stay exactly where you started drawing. Try turning the smoothing down a little bit at a time until it gets to a point where you like it.

I have problems with hand shake sometimes, due to some medications, so sometimes I use the smoothing,but I don't use much smoothing at all, like 40-50% I'll have to double check where I usually leave it.

Pencils are weird, in the real world, work differently than one would naturally assume. The softer the pencil, the darker the line. The harder the pencil the lighter the line. Try adjusting the softness and pressure of the pencil settings and the width of the pencil in artrage to help with that.

Also, if you don't like the grainy feeling, you can also turn that down or off in the canvas settings (when you start a new painting) or in the layer settings which is found on the far upper right, there is a little button in there is edit layer textures. There you can also adjust the textures and how grainy they are.

I use a pencil setting that someonesane posted most often, but if I didn't have that I would use the soft or hard pencil and adjust it till it was comfy.

dcahall
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will mess around with the pencil some more and try to learn how to correct the things I had the problems with.

Also trying to get used to the knife. I see that it can really help a lot also so I am experimentin with it as well.

One of these days I will be able to go create some things on my own. Right now I have been trying to learn how to control things with the software.

Main thing is I am having fun.

mannafig
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Sorry I am so late in replying to this thread.
I took some time out.

Dear Pat Thank you so much I hope you enjoy using it:):)

You are to kind dearest Kenmo thank you so much:):)

Thank you dear Juz:):)

I would be delighted Sethren if you want to make a PDF I will be very grateful:):)

Dcahall I am pleased that you are enjoying my Tutorial.
And I must say that you have done a wonderful piece of work.:eek:
magen Has past on some good pointers if you are still having trouble get in touch and I will try my best to help you out.
Keep having fun. :):)

mannafig
09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Dcahall another thing I just thought to mention is that I normally work on very large size so I can really get in to do small detail I use
width 5040
height 3012
I also don't use the precise setting. on the pencil Hope this helps if not get in touch and I will try my best to help.:):)