PDA

View Full Version : Little Romanic churches in Abruzzo (improved)

Caesar
05-18-2011, 01:22 AM
This is crayons on one layer. Used a reference without tracing, measuring and color picking.
It's Noogins' fault if I resumed crayons ;):D, but I must say that tools for drawing like pencils, crayons, chalk, pen etc. fit me well enough since I started with them before painting (much later).
I hope You like it even if I eventually didn't plan and exploit the possibility of more layers and other tools to push on realism.
I left the sheet size quite reduced.

A second version added below with little improvements (worked a little on some central arches, some shadows and put a flying bird to make You feel the wind in this elevated place beneath the mountains...

eighty+
05-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Hail O Caesar much better when u squint :D:D:D:D:D:D:D----E/S

pat1940
05-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Wonderful job Caesar, like it a lot;);):)

gxhpainter2
05-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Caesar - a nice study of early Roman churches... crayon provides great texture for the stones and sky. I am wondering about the 2 round windows...since they are not aligned it would seem like the building would collapse, what are they for and why two and why aren't they aligned with each other... you may not be able to answer but if you can please do... :):):):D

Caesar
05-18-2011, 08:03 AM
... or You may see it from some distance, dear ATPlus.;) Thank You!

Hi, dear Pat! Welcome back home! :p Thank You!

Thank You, dear Ghxpainter! The Romanic style (not roman) is the earlier Middle Age building style later on followed by the Gothic one, which has few examples only in Italy, and originally modified, like in Orvieto Cathedral or the Milan one, for two reasons at least. First because in Italy there was not much problem to have light into, second because Renaissance started much before anywhere else in Italy (and was subsequently exported abroad quite later and to some extent only), so the reference was, as traditional since the Roman-Greek times, proportions, rules, harmonic measures, elegance in lines and decorations even for huge buildings.
The Romanic style has massive column and thick walls so as to bear the building weight in a distributed way. Moreover this peculiar building seems to be composed of various parts, with changes from original design, probably of different periods and they all concur to keep the complex standing.
I hope this explanation I gave to myself may be convincing for You too, otherwise I'll have to go there and or look for some expert of that building concept.

eighty+
05-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Hail O Caesar. Don't worry that building will still be standing when we are all

GONE. :D:D:D

gxhpainter2
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Caesar..... that is kind of what I was thinking... that this building has been modified many times over the centuries. and its original design probably has massively thick stone walls.;);):):)

justjean
05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Caesar, if it's still standing after all this time and renovations I would hazard a guess that there was something right about the original building :D and you have done a wonderful job of painting this old beauty :D

limey-g
05-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Love the finished product, you have quite a vision in your work.
Geoff

Alexandra
05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Such a lovely scene Cesare, and great use of the crayons!

D Akey
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Very cool, Caesar. In addition to what you've done, it puts me in mind that the grainy quality could be exploited, I think with a push to an atmospheric look ala Seurat. But I digress. Nice image.

Suha
05-18-2011, 03:57 PM
...........:)...........

Caesar
05-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Right, dear Ghxpainter! This building is placed in a region which become poor for more than a millennium and half after the Roman Empire, notwithstanding it had an ancient and meaningful Italic civilization even before Rome was built, based on federated state-towns who lived of sheep rearing, hill and mountain agriculture and quite nice artisanal products and commerce. The lack of wealth and gold didn't prevent my ancestors from setting up anyway their simple beautiful monuments with frescos, sculptures of any material, their little treasure of knowledge, skill, art and praise, thank and worship God for the little they had.
They did so even on the top of high hills and mountain rocks, an enterprise harder than building on the plains. Thank You!

Dear Jean, after all, notwithstanding it was built some centuries after the Western part of the Roman Empire fell, people kept some knowledge of Romans building capabilities, an absolutely unique and outstanding one unmatched in many cases up to modern times. Romans built for eternity and that is quite clear if You look at the aqueducts, bridges, buildings and circuses still around, which look often as ruins just because of invasions or people who, in the centuries, took away stones and marbles to build something else, as it is the case of the Coliseum that Would still be perfect today, just like the Arena of Verona or similar stadi. The Coliseum was even build on a basin filled with sand where it has its foundations to stand earthquakes.
Thank You!

Thank You, dear Limey-g! I hope You like the second version even better.

Thank You very much, dear Sandra! Part of the merit should go to Noogins who pulled me too into the crayons use again ...:D

Thank You, dear D Akey.
You're absolutely right and I made some attempts since long time that successful on areas of some past works. I don't exclude to make other tries. Anyway, talking of divisionism or pointillisme, I know Seurat and Signac started that dimensionally extreme evolution of color spots painting (not exclusive of French impressionism), but think that one of the most impressive painter along that path (who unfortunately didn't live long enough) was Giovanni Segantini who used in a much more vibrant way that technique for alpine landscapes, atmospheres and lights, but always keeping a foot in the glorious Italian tradition of the XIX centuries usually not known and valued enough. In my opinion he got an absolutely magic and unique touch that was missing to the cold and schematic approach of Seurat. Another divisionist, more evidently so, was Giovanni Giacometti.
In case You're interested have a look here respectively ...
http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&biw=1003&bih=594&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=segantini&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&gbv=2&biw=1003&bih=594&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=giovanni+giacometti&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Thank You, dear Suha! Sooner or later I shall make a try with some monument in Palermo and You will see also some of the most beautiful Arabian architecture examples we have in Sicily which You may find also integrated with other styles too.

Jasminek
05-18-2011, 11:57 PM
What a peaceful scene, will be so relaxing just to step indoors.:)

semd74
05-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Great job Caesar...I like it !!!

coops
05-19-2011, 02:06 AM
This is very good Cesare and for some reason it reminds me of pieces of Troika Pottery. Well done:)

Caesar
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Thank You, dear Jasminek! Churches, monasteries and convents were conceived also to be oasis of peace to to be immersed in prayer and contemplation both inside the building and, most often, also outside, by choosing places where it was easier to better feel spirituality. we still have many of them of any age, often with valuable artpieces and ancient books since our buildings were conceived for lasting in time and be a beautiful also to be in harmony with the surrounding nature and its beauty.

I'm glad You like this piece to watch and rest for a while, dear Sem74. Thank You!

That pottery is something which may be reproduced with crayon and or chalk for sure, dear Katie. Did you design something similar so far? I'd be curious to se You trying. Low pressure gives more grain and softer values are better in the case of crayon. Thank You!