PDA

View Full Version : Birth of a Great Teacher

Jasminek
05-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi,
Today is the full moon cycle in May. It is a very important day in Buddhism. It is the day that the Siddhartha Gautama, the Lord Buddha’s Birth 2634 years ago and in 35 years later he gained enlightenment, then 80 years from his birth he passed away into the Nibbana or nirvana which marked the Buddhist Era (BE) of this year 2554. In each event, it took place on the full-moon day in May, when the moon is in the Visakha asterism, which is why the day is called Visakha Puja.

In this painting I tried to display his birth. His mother, a princess had to travel to give birth with her family several days of travel away (as the tradition required). On the way they stopped and rested in a park and she gave birth to who became Lord Buddha and she died 7 days after.

In Thailand, Thai Buddhists demonstrate their high respect for what is called the "TRIPLE GEMS" of Buddhist philosophy. These are:
1. Lord Buddha, the Greatest Teacher
2. The Dhamma, Lord Buddha's Teachings
3. The Sangha, the Buddhist Brotherhood of Monks

I used several ref. pictures in this paintings. My imagination mostly on the clothing of Hindu people of 2634 years ago. Done in water color, knife and felt pen.

Any comments advice are always welcome.:D

pat1940
05-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Jasmine, all your paintings are beautiful, but this is my favorite, I just love this painting, well done, fantastic job;);):):)

gxhpainter2
05-18-2011, 04:47 AM
JasmineK - a beautiful depiction of the great event for mankind.... thanks for sharing the information and beautiful painting.:):):):)

Caesar
05-18-2011, 06:51 AM
This is an evidently buddhist painting also as a style, so lovely and peaceful as it is, with colors and love flowing all over. The story is very interesting and it is said that mom died pretty soon, but maybe that was necessary for what had to happen after to that unique baby ...

D Akey
05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sidhartha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A cause of great celebration for the blessings.

Thank you for the information as well because I did not know of his mother dying 7 days after his birth. I love hearing of cultures and peoples.

Is the infant traditionally shown in saffron colored wrappings?

Wonderful painting, and you described them so very well. The tone of the setting is of course reminiscent of archetypal images. There is an ease and grace to the painting that gives the feeling of great serenity. Brava!

semd74
05-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Colorful and very well done...I like it !!!

justjean
05-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Jasmine, thankyou for a lovely painting and the tale to go with it :):):)

Alexandra
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
How beautiful Jasmine!

Suha
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
It's really wonderful

Jasminek
05-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi,

Thanks so much for the kind comments.

The Baby Sidthartha was wrapped in yellow silk as the tradition required of a royal baby. Yellow is still a royal color in Thailand and many countries in Asia.

The Queen Elizabeth also likes wearing yellow. In many times when Her Majesty visited the King of Thailand, she wore yellow very often. That stimulated the love for her from the Thai people. If I recalled correctly she wore yellow also at the wedding recently.

I will be out of town for a couple of days and will try to answer any question if I can.

Cheers!:D

coops
05-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the wonderful information Jasmine and this painting to me is one of your very best. Its so tender.:)

Jasminek
05-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks kindly dear Coops.;)

barnburner
05-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Excellent painting Jasmine, and I really liked the background story. I must admit that other than the name, I knew nothing about Buddah, or the religion.
I really enjoyed reading the information you provided.
Thank you. :):)

Jasminek
05-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks so much Barn.

Just to expound a bit. the Lord Buddha's mother, Queen Maya died 7 days after his birth, he was raised by his aunt, Mahaprajapati who became married to his father, the King Suddhodana, king of the Sakhyas. This lady, according to the scripters accepted in Thailand, Loas, Sri Lanka and Burma, followed him after his enlightenment to become one of the first few female monks (not nuns).

Lord Buddha had a son who later on joined his father as a monk. Not much was written about him.

I, myself was fortunate to be brought up to know Christianity, Hindu, Moslem and Buddhism. I remember going to church on Sundays then going to temples later. No one in Buddhist temples were bothered about me going to the Christian church too for the Lord Buddha's famous words were "Don't take my teaching as the truth, analyze and find out for yourself and listen to others too.":)

But sadly to say dear friends, the new leader of that church had a lot of problems with me going to the temples too (I was going there for over 5 years since I was about 5 years old, my father wanted me to learn then choose the religion later if I want). The previous American missionaries had no problem but the new one (not American) wanted to press the issue by forcing me to step on the image of the Buddha. My father intervened and I never went back to the church again and the poor, unwise missionary did not last in Thailand.

The last mass I went in Thailand was when I was in HS.

Until today, I have a hard time when one religioin says bad things about the others.:confused: Using a religion to hurt other non-believers is very bad to me.

In Thailand, all religions are sanctioned by the King. There are very few incidents that caused the expulsion of the missionary in any religion. One about 7 years ago for sitting on top of the head of a Buddha image with intent to insult, now that group is forgiven and back and are behaving well.

Cheers!:D

barnburner
05-21-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the information Jasmine.

" "Don't take my teaching as the truth, analyze and find out for yourself and listen to others too."

Very wise words indeed. A concept that all religions should practice. :):)

jibes
05-21-2011, 05:19 AM
A very fantastic painting!!!

Jasminek
05-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks so much Barn and Jibes. My appreciations.:)