PDA

View Full Version : I really must finish something off!

Aged P
04-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Just started sifting through a mass/mess of part drawn stuff and finishing a few off. This started out as Arthur's Pass NZ, but got a touch of the English Lake District along the way.

(If you use Glitter for leaves, it can print out pretty awful.)

ENCHANTER
04-24-2006, 05:57 AM
bloke, thats brilliant, as i said in other posts i love landscapes....wow..... :)

ENCHANTER
04-24-2006, 06:20 AM
i came back to look at your picture again...those mountains in the back look very real! :)

Aged P
04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
I made them craggy with the Chalk, I think, then smoothed them out a bit with the Airbrush. Technically they should have been bluer and dimmer, but I couldn't bring myself to fade them out any further!

waheednasir
04-24-2006, 06:51 AM
thats a nice scenery aged p and yes u are right about the dimness/blueness of the mountains at the background. but this still looks nice...:).

Harmony
04-24-2006, 07:57 AM
ENCHANTER wrote:
...those mountains in the back look very real!

I agree with ENCHANTER amazing mountains Aged P.

AndyRage
04-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Oh wow that's phenomenal. Brilliant painting.
What can I say - it's just gorgeous.

Regarding printing - you could try going into your printer advanced settings and increase the contrast and colour vibrancy. It might help.

Fashmir
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
This is looking great Aged P. I am enjoying the realism of this. I am curious about the problem with printing glitter. Can you elaborate? I haven't tried to print anything up to this point.

Aged P
04-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Having seen Waheed's latest effort, I went back and moved the mountains further away!

AndyRage
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
It's still just as astounding and fantastic - only now I have to drive further ;)

Really really great painting, Aged P.

waheednasir
04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
hello again aged p. this looks good, nice update...:). u know things yourself, but just a minor friendly suggestion, that might work, if u agree, do attempt and see. if u want the background mountains to go back, get rid of the whites in there, u can apply some lighter sky color there, get rid of those texture/noise as well, make them look smooth. the roughness brings them closer. instead have some sort of texture on the mountains at our right, as they are closer. personaly i would dim the light patch at the right as well, getting the attention. its a good suggestion of light but quite bright. i would instead make the path have some light, coz nothing is blocking the light reaching on that. plus that would lead us into the painting well. these are just some minor observations, that i might do. what u have is a wonderful painting. it looks beautiful the way it is...:). take these as pure friendly suggestions.

:).

Aged P
04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks Waheed,

I fell into the old trap of not editing the picture in my brain first.
The lighting areas are pretty much how it was in the photo, there must be high mountains to the right. But I could have relit it in my mind.

The 'noise' on the mountain was caused by zooming in and going for too much surface detail. The white snow is, as you say, too white.

Part of the problem was using glitter to create stones on the path, I forgot to put it on a layer and then had to do a lot of heavy overpainting and scraping to get rid of them. I turned the damage into path textures.

This put an English footpath through a rugged part of New Zealand!

I've still got the sketch layer and will try another version of it.

Thank you for the advice, always, always criticise my stuff, I learn from that.

tony
04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Aged P,
well it has all been said old friend, a lovely piece of work you can almost feel the cold breeze whilst strolling along in this beautifull landscape. A most enjoyable piece of work bien fait et merci, :) Regards,Tony

Weeks
04-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Hello Aged P,

Very, very interesting painting..

Bravissimo..

Weeks

Aged P
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Beginning to incorporate Waheed Nazir's advice.

The light now needs correcting.

Front right hand bush is also work in progress.

Revised Mountain snow needs work to make it look less like cushions.

Imagine trying to make these changes with real oils!

Fashmir
04-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Aged P- This image is coming along so well. It is exciting to see it progress. I love the way you have used the glitter gun to make the leaves in the near ground. The contrast stands out nicely against the softer distant mountains. I still have that nagging question on my mind about the printing problem though. If you are willing could you share a little more about that, I don't want to steer people in the wrong direction if the results are some how less than they should be. Thanks mate.

David M
04-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Many thanks, Aged_P, for showing the range of progress in this work. It's so helpful to see this piece develop!

waheednasir
04-26-2006, 05:31 AM
hello there aged p. this looks really good...im happy to see this. thanks for considering my points. i like the update, esp. the mountains at the back...:).

Aged P
04-26-2006, 06:23 AM
OK Guys, this is the final version.

The path is boring, but if I keep on painting it won't get any better.

I'm moving on to something new.

All of Waheed's advice was good but because I had not used enough layers to start with it was difficult to change some things.

I also ran into the problem where ArtRage assumes that a painting has very thick paint on it. Using the Knife or Brush carves chunks out of the surface. Have a look at the path, I had to make the holes in the paint film into a rather strange tarmac/black top effect.

This has been fun. Doing something so similar to Sweedie was just chance, but it's fascinating to see someone else doing things in such a different way.

sbug51
04-26-2006, 06:33 AM
wow! its turning out great aged_p!! please show us more progress :D

hype
04-26-2006, 06:50 AM
wow, absolutely awesome. i wanna walk here, even though it looks kinda chilly.

waheednasir
04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
hello again aged p, a very nice finish indeed...:). wonderful.

AndyRage
04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats fantastic! And thanks for sharing the finishing steps. It was great to see.

ENCHANTER
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Thats Brill.....The focus has changed from the background mountains to the foreground foliage, Brill...

Aged P
06-26-2006, 07:17 AM
I knew I'd have to come back to this one day!

Grains courtesy of Fashmir-Sweedie and Co,
Rocks from The Hudson Valley Rock Co.

All paint and canvases from Ambient DIY Auckland.

sbug51
06-26-2006, 07:49 AM
wow aged_p i love it! nice flow of texture, you are really getting into the texture thing! cool! 8)

sbug51
06-26-2006, 07:50 AM
though i like the old one as well, if it had some of the new one! and had the same soft image of the last one :D sorry second thoughts but still amazing work :D 8)

ENCHANTER
06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
updated and upgraded....and surpassed!!!

Brilliant! :D

Fashmir
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Makes me want to get out and do some hiking in the cool mountain air. It's 100 degrees F here in south west Washington state today. I'm sitting here having just finished up some studio work and wanting to paint, but it's soooooo hot. I like what you did Aged P. Is that shale on the right in the new textured area? Not sure but it might be a little too high contrast for the angle to the light, but that could be heat stroke coming on. :)

friendly
06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
this is really good, excellent colors to my eyes

Selby
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Aged P this is lovely and I particularly like what you did with the path now it feels wilder and more mysterious. I reallly like the bush with white flowers on the right hand side too very nice..would love one for my garden.

Selby

bleepnik
06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Beautiful painting, Aged P.

.g

bearblue1
06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Wow. That's just beautiful.

Aged P
06-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the compliments Guys! It's so nice to be able to present stuff to such a wide international group.

The major change was losing the Glitter which displays and prints out very strangely in a landscape. This was replaced with about 8 different Grains and some rocks based on Ingie's Hudson River rocks.

Fashmir,

You are right about the shale, it was one of those last second "enhancements" that happen when you've been painting for too long! :)

ingie01
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Hudson Valley Rock Co. , cheese, I've been using them for a while.
Great work Aged P!

DaveRage
06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Very nice! =)

Aged P
07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
When I finally got to print this out large it looked terrible.
Grained rocks and Glitter are printer hostile. Colour perspective was lousy. Far Mountain looked like a polystyrene model.

Hence the new, new, improved version, looks great on A3 and Super B+.

florida girl
07-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Aged P,
See this is what I'm talking about..... Your 1st painting of Arthurs pass is absolutely breathtaking! It Almost looks like a photograph.
The colors grab you. I love the the depth of colors & contrasts & unclutteredness of it. It pulls you right in.
Thanks for sharing with us.

bleepnik
07-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey, it doesn't just look great on A3 and Super B+, it looks absolutely stunning on my monitor, too. =) The painting was beautiful before, Aged P, it was absolutely lovely. Now? Now it's breathtaking.

- Gita

drzeller
07-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Nice refinement, Aged P. It sure is easier to rework something in AR versus anolog materials, eh? Of course, if you've used layers it is even easier.

D.

PNP
07-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Gorgeous!

ingie01
07-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Aged P,
Your printing experiences echo mine. I stopped printing on my home printer and will only send finished work to a professional printer.
I haven't had a piece done in a while so I'm not too familiar with what pro places exist. My experience tells me that with such competition on the www that many GOOD places must be out there.
So do I still use my home printer, you bet. It is great for proofs.

jacktar51
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Hello Eric, ....You dont really need to change things around Eric. Your 1st painting is brilliant, and it doesnt have to be blue and misty if its a clear enough day you can see all the way to the horizon.....seen it
The sky and the mountain are realistic..already mastered....thats what I see ........ thank you for putting it on, its great....Jack.

jacktar51
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Eric , I have just seen the last one you did of this, and am I alowed to change my mind......?..This rock strewn one,it is better than the first, Not because of the mountain I think but because of all the work you have done on the foreground, it looks like a mist rising from the the damp shale and catching the sun rays...and wow the vegitation and flowers that you have added here... well its made me change my mind Eric, I have to admit...this last one is full of mood and effect....well done indeed....Jack

jacktar51
07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Eric , I have just seen the last one you did of this, and am I alowed to change my mind......?..This rock strewn one,it is better than the first, Not because of the mountain I think but because of all the work you have done on the foreground, it looks like a mist rising from the the damp shale and catching the sun rays...and wow the vegitation and flowers that you have added here... well its made me change my mind Eric, I have to admit...this last one is full of mood and effect....well done indeed....Jack

Aged P
07-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Jack, thanks for your kind words.

(The name is Phil by the way. strangely enough my brother is Eric. :D)

What happened here is that I got too much detail into the far mountain, even when it was clear it sort of jumped to the front of the picture.
My only way to add depth was to bring in some mist.
Then Fashmir and Sweedie's work showed me how to improve the vegetation.
I'd used Glitter and they use Grains. We are all nagging Ambient to provide more brush styles so that trees and people are easier to do.

The totally brilliant thing is that they listen to you. and answer.
Imagine trying to talk to Microsoft or Adobe! :roll:

tony
07-18-2006, 11:26 PM
:) Hi Phil, Love the progression and your thoughts on this lovely landscape.It is funny, that you mentioned the printing problem as I thought it was simply my printer that was not reflecting what I saw on the screen. Thanks for for the tips too.Regards,Tony :)

Stephen Lo Piano
07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
By the looks of this painting it would appear as though the image would print out okay. You have used glitter for the trees? I would check out printing in other formats. What exactly are you using for printing, I personally find BMP produces the closest to what I see on my screen for hard copy prints. I use BMP for importing and exporting between programs since I often use several different programs for images. BMP seems to retain image quality very well. You notice with printouts that JPG images have a darker tint than BMP.
If you have not already tried this export your image in another format (I would suggest BMP, yet try others you may like better) and then see what happens printing from either another program or Art Rage.
This painting looks really good and somehow you should be able to get this image to print fairly close to what you see on the screen.

One other question, when you launched this image onto this Forum reduced to a maximum of 250 kb and size requirements the image looks great here. Did you attempt to print this same image or a larger size file with a different format? I would not suggest upscaling a file to a BMP format from a JPG. BMP seems to work very well with native file formats of programs.

waheednasir
07-24-2006, 06:11 AM
hello there Aged P and to all my artrage friends there...first of all im so sorry for being absent for so long. its just that i go too occupied with long, huge projects at work, plus with some of my personal work as well, didnt get much time to paint in artrage, but as i think i can manage to paint and make visits, im here...:).
i think ive missed much...too many new names i see here. ill try my best to make visits whenever i can, with less gaps.
i remember this landscape Aged P and it looks wonderful. im sure ill be enjoying many many pieces like this now.
i hope everyone is fine...my regards to everyone out there...see ya...:).

Aged P
07-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Welcome back Waheed!

While you were gone I practiced with Grains and made some myself.
That's why this picture improved.

Post something soon!

Aged P
07-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi Stephen,
I missed your posting, sorry!
I now have a second printer and things are a better, but I still feel that somewhere in the system there is a tiny bug. I'll just have to wait for other people to come across it and explain it better than I can.

I heve now tried every format and several different packages.
I can make photos etc print out OK up to Super B+
It seems that somewhere in the painting process, probably after an export and an import, Black is less Black. This gives a clouded appearance like a slightly dirty window. Not really too bad until you introduce new pure Black from the Palette, then the "dirty window" acquires clean areas. The printer then differentiates between the two and prints them differently.
I'm trying to make this problem reproducible by doing trial paintings.

"Scraped" Glitter is another problem. It can look like tiny grey snowflakes on the picture surface. There are workarounds to all of this because ArtRage is so flexible.

cynthiab
07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
wonderful painting, love the trees must have a go with the glitter
Cynthiab

Aged P
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Cynthia,

Welcome!

Glitter is great for some pictures. But I now use Grains for leaves if I'm thinking of printing out the final result. For me, Glitter really only works well on Screen. Ideally I would use brushes for foliage but until new brushes arrive it's not easy.

royblumenthal
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Hiya Aged P...

Oh venerable one... you've done lovely stuff to the vegetation on the left. I do think you MAY have gone a TOUCH overboard on the path. I much preferred the older version.

And in fact... for me, the previous version was really good because your detailing was JUST vague enough to make it a painting of marks. Now, with the detailing, it's become a painting of detail, and it's very fussy because of that for me.

Blue skies
love
Roy

Aged P
07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Roy,

It's the "print thing" again. I used Glitter, then replaced it wth Grains.
I'm happy with all of them now. That's the huge benefit of Digital, they all still exist :D

I may give this another go from scratch eventually, starting with a bigger canvas.

Stephen Lo Piano
07-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I have looked over several of your topics started in this gallery. Your art work is excellent. You have some very impressive landscape paintings that simply look beautiful with a touch of your own personal technique and character.