PDA

View Full Version : The Totem

gxhpainter2
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Mostly AR3 chalks, oils, pencils etc.. and a little Painter 11:). Working on developing a shallow 3d look and lots and lots of colors... ( really can't help myself...:rolleyes:) hope you all enjoy

scribbledsoul
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I like it! It's fun, colorful, and unique! And I really like the 3d effect. :)

semd74
04-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I would say that you achieved what you set out to do...

Caesar
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
We do enjoy as we really feel You enjoyed painting it! Maybe also a lesson to keep at distance from modern idols and everytime involving vanities ...:rolleyes:

Alexandra
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I just have one word. . . . Harmony!

Mike Severoff
04-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I like your work.

I met on facebook with one artist, he draws about the same style.
I called this style for myself - a "child-Indian":) (sorry :) )
Of course, I tried this technique: -It is not so easy!
But my virtual friend paints lounges, restaurants and just a canvas,
many times he invited me to show.

Suha
04-20-2011, 02:19 AM
i liked a lot:)

justjean
04-20-2011, 03:21 AM
A wonderful wild and colourful placement of shapes and textures :)

gxhpainter2
04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. and Mike no offense with your name... Child and Indian....couldn't be more pleased.:):):)

MSIE
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
"lots and lots of colours" - ... and there's even black and white :D
I like this painting :)

coops
04-21-2011, 06:07 AM
I love looking at these Painter, they are always so colourful:)

Lima
04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
gx, an exquisite pictorial design. Reminds me of Kandinsky. Congratulations. Great art work.

P. D. Dinkles
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Prineville = Got tires?

Gxh:

You depict the totem pole abstractly with great talent. How long have you been doing this genre? How did you come about it? Does each element have a meaning directed at the painting's theme? Do you come into the painting with a idea or does it just transpire with each brush stroke? Do you do other genre?

Don't answer these questions if you would rather not. I am just bewitched by it all.

Waiting for more.

D Akey
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Fantastic!

Not sure if this is the look you're going after, but you might try using the emboss filter from Photoshop as a layer which I think becomes monochrome, but with light and shadow for giving a surface depth, and then overlaying the color on a layer to some degree of transparency or other as you like. After which you could continue painting on top to different results depending on the transparency level, again as you choose. Just a thought.

Anyway, your abstracts are very interesting and evocative. This one's just out of my reach and it seems to live in the area of pure art for art's sake. . . just from where I'm standing right now. Very cool to watch your process.

gxhpainter2
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
PD - thanks for your interest, and I don't mind a bit answering your questions. I have painted landscapes with natural media for over 50 years, watecolors, oils and acrylics, etc.. I am not formally trained ( I was a chemistry,physics major in college) but I have read and studied art intensely. I have evolved my art as an extension of Miro, Kandinsky, Picasso, Asger Jorn, Alan Davie and Chinese art. From Chinese art I learned to stylize my strokes and modify the perspective from simple linear or atmospheric, from the other artist's I began to liberate my color palette and mark making. I pay close attention to edges , transitions , tonal values and composition. I usually have an idea much like it seems you do base on a literary thought or concept. lay down base neutral colors and gradually increase the texture of the brush marks and colors until the painting feels right. Then I flip the painting over and sideways to make sure it still reads and there are no weak spots. then I usually bring it into Photoshop to add the frame colors, and sign it. I never know for sure if a work will turn out but I have learned from experience that even a bad painting can be come the basis for something better. I try not to judge them too harshly either:):).

D-Akey - thank for the tip, I have used that tecnique also but not for awhile , I think it time to give it a try..;););)

Mike Severoff
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
gxhpainter,
I can add to an accurate understanding:
Historically, many ancient cultures drew symbols. Children draw symbols.
They have an "X" - a dragonfly, "Y" - a tree, :) with dashes - the sun, life and love.
They see the essence of things, so to speak. They do not need proof.
This is my personal IMHO :)

gxhpainter2
04-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Mike - thanks for your clarification, and I agree with you 100% and that is the motivating force for me to see beyond the obvious and paint more directly the essence...

jibes
04-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Hey! This is might nice. A non-trad look at totems. Very good!

screenpainter
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
love seeing the fun come out. glad to see you enjoying the paint. :)