PDA

View Full Version : Floating Fruit Market - Thailand

Jasminek
04-19-2011, 12:24 AM
HI,

I have been trying to paint a floating market in Thailand for a while. The fruits seem to make me stumble a lot so I started with stickers at this time and modified them (cheating is another word)!:eek:

Thailand, especially Bangkok used to be called "The Venice of the East" due to canals which the Thai forefathers built to let the water had their ways. For the past 100 years, the population increased, more vehicles, lots of canals were filled to make roads and Bangkok just gets flooded every year. And whoever becomes the government just rolled their eyes and put ban-aids on the problem.:mad:

The King of Thailand has worked for the last 60 years to get canals in appropriate places, areas called "Monkey Cheeks" to direct water and water management in general (amongst many of his projects, all for that the Thai people can live happily and sufficiently.)

Because of canals, rivers many people find it easier to travel by boats and here comes the floating selling people naturally.:D

This painting is done in water colors, knife, felt pen and stickers. Ref. pictures are several including one of mine.

As usual any comments and advice are appreciated.

Bobbi
04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't think you can call using the stickers "cheating". It is using tools that are available to create something that has come out of your imagination and creative desire. Don't we see so many different expressions of imagination in all forms of art? Is a person who does scrap booking cheating because they artfully arrange photos and scraps of colored paper, etc. to create a memento of their lives? Is it cheating to use a beautiful scene to recreate that image on a canvas or a wall or a piece of paper, etc.? Folks who don't view digitally created art "real" just don't get it. From mind to media is creating.

Jasminek
04-19-2011, 03:54 AM
I do see the digital art as real art, however, in my mind (and mine only), I do feel that I may have taken an easy way out.

Thanks for your input.:D

pat1940
04-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Jasmine, I think this is beautiful and you did a wonderful job on it;);):)

Alexandra
04-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Wonderful painting Jasmine!

gxhpainter2
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
JasmineK - you did a wonderful job on this, and the fruit in the boats looks lushicous! I like the dark waters that provide the contrast for the bright fruit colors and people.

Lima
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Jasmine, this painting is so beautiful. Fantastic. Congratulations.

barnburner
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Jasmine, this is very nicely done. :):)
and, I agree with Bobbi.. Creativity comes from the artists mind and inner being, regardless of the tools used.

Caesar
04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
I saw these floating markets also on wonderful pictures of a freind and collegue of mine. :cool: Very beautiful! :):):)

Jasminek
04-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.:D

Mike Severoff
04-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Beautiful work!

D Akey
04-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Monkey cheeks? Hahahah. Now there's a funny analogy. Does it take that name because monkeys pack food into their cheeks not unlike squirrels and they can go off and eat the food later? I can see all the goods being tucked into such areas waiting to get used. No doubt very colorful?

I like it. Very ambitious. Lighting is a tricky business especially when it's sort of even. Shadow helps to shape and divide and you can perhaps look for source pics that have that happening already. But I know the type of picture you are painting as I marveled at them in National Geographic magazine for years. Those photographers had it so easy because all they had to do was point the camera and they had a cacophony of color and detail instantly.

I like this image though. It reads fine because the shapes are clear, between the people and boats and produce. It says abundance to me. And the sort of earthy color of the water and the hulls of the boats are set back, and the colorful bits really stand out.

Very nice.

coops
04-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Thats a very good painting of life on the canals and you have recreated it wonderfully.:)

Jasminek
04-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks so much Mike, Dkey and Coops.:D

The monkeys' cheeks are actually hollow, the lower ground similar to a valley in this theory. The area is not so low that water stays like a pond but a huge ground with lower elevation than the surrounding area that can maintains the water for a while in flood so that the main water has the chance to drain. His Majesty created many theories to manage water, one is artificial rain which is used in Africa and many countries in Asia.

Thanks to everyone again.:)

jibes
04-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Very nice, I think you did fine on the fruit and all the rest!

screenpainter
04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I like your painting very much Jasmine. It speaks of abundance and providence to me. I also learn much from your explanations of other places.

waheednasir
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
good job and these sellers look really nice selling their stuff on boats..:).

Jasminek
04-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks so much jibes, gzair and waheed, very kind of you to give the encouraging words.:)

AT-TA
04-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Beautiful painting, Jasmine. I like your way of painting and telling us,about the way of life in such a different culture. And i must say i like it, your story telling with brushes and colors. And i feel your are so proud of your birthplace and i am so happy for you that you could experience all of that you are speaking of in your pictures. Thank you for educating us this way.:)It must be such a beautiful country.!

Jasminek
04-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks so much AT-TA. It is a beautiful country by have been unfortunate with the corrupted governments, if not corrupted, weak, for the past 70 years. Sad really.

Thanks again.:)

mannafig
04-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Beautiful work Jasmine:):)

Jasminek
04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks so much Mannafig.:)

Armoured
05-17-2011, 02:07 AM
I like your naif style! :)

Jasminek
05-17-2011, 11:38 PM