PDA

View Full Version : Free spirit

Noogins
04-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Decided to try my hand with a horse. I haven't drawn a horse in about 20 years. I cant get great detail like Vanity because I am horrible at doing detailed work but I am happy with this, unless of course you all hate it. :(
I used pencil and knife. I did a rough outline first then used the hard shader and then used the knife to blur. Finally I used the knife on the smudge setting. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Then I added the words which I think sum up the horse best. I tried to upload into my gallery and it said the file was too large so i tried to re-size and still too large. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. as always thanks for looking,
Hannah

Muir Dragonne
04-16-2011, 09:47 AM
That's really nice, Hannah. :) I'm better at using real pencils than I am with the pencil tool in AR for some reason, but I've never been able to draw a decent horse. :P

Bobbyray
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice Horsie!!!! Woooooooo girl! hehe :)

What format: png jpg ???
What size: ???
What dpi ?????
are you using?

png is large .............any artwork format ....with over 72 dpi is large too.

JPG is the most used format at 72 dpi.;) I always make a huge png at 300 dpi and then resize to jpg at 72 dpi for posts.

VanityX
04-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Hannah, I recognize the picture of the frisian stallion. I think you did a great job ! It is not the details that make a great painting though.
This looks very nice....
His body is exactly that of a Frisian, his head could be of some other horse but in his expression, also without details, I recognize a Frisian again.
One is not better than the other....it's only a difference in style...
I surely love yours !:D

You should do this more often...and forget about the details....anyone can see the details are there !

semd74
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
This is absolutely fantastic Noogins...I like this one a lot !!!

Angelofpeace
04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:) love it... very very beautiful.

gxhpainter2
04-16-2011, 11:01 AM
nice work... taking on the challenge of a horse is a big one but you've done a wonderful job with this one :):):):)

limey-g
04-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I like it, very effective and the horses position on the canvas together with the wording creates a nice balance.
Geoff

Noogins
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks all for all the positive feedback though coming back to it I can see some mistakes. The head seems off to me. Oh well. Bobbyray I'm afraid I am kind of stupid when it comes to computer jargon and I don't even know how to find out how big my file is. I know it is a jpg though. Thanks again all I just might try another horse. :)
Hannah

AT-TA
04-16-2011, 11:49 AM
And it is a beauty, i like it as it is.:)

barnburner
04-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks all for all the positive feedback though coming back to it I can see some mistakes. The head seems off to me. Oh well. Bobbyray I'm afraid I am kind of stupid when it comes to computer jargon and I don't even know how to find out how big my file is. I know it is a jpg though. Thanks again all I just might try another horse. :)
Hannah

What size canvas in AR are you using?

Noogins
04-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Barnburner, I use the size they give me I dont change anything. I think it's 1366 by 728 px.

waheednasir
04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
thats a nice horse, well made..:).

D Akey
04-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Beautiful and monumental - proud, graceful horse. Nice one

Caesar
04-17-2011, 08:26 AM
So I was just horsing around with my hobby-horse for mythology :D, while You seriously painted this solemn quadruped in the wind whose power and force may well be used for an advertisement of gasoline or engine.
Fantastic!

Noogins
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok so I'm a dork. I thought the file was jpg but it turns out it was png. Converted it and all is fine now. Got it uploaded to my gallery. Thanks all for the help and feedback.

Saphire
04-17-2011, 09:34 AM
This is beautiful Noogins, I like it very much.

P. D. Dinkles
04-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Noogins

I only come to recently admire horses as symbolic of so much. As a boy I use to ride a quarter/Morgan mix on the border of Mexico (Tijuana)along the shore, without saddle or bridle. The horse loved the ocean. Enough.

I love the sinewy muscular body you painted and that beautiful main flowing in the wind. What a noble looking steed.