View Full Version : What does a glaze layer do ?

04-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi I notice in looking at many of the lovely works that are posted, that many of you talk of using a glaze layer.
I did a search on this, but even after looking at many of the postings, I still do not know exactly how it is achieved and what effect it has on your painting.

Being a beginner can someone explain this to me in simple terms.
Much appreciated.

04-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Hi limey-g,

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I would have to assume that most people are generally talking about creating a new layer over their existing layers, which more paint can be added (because one won't find a "Glaze Layer" by name, in ArtRage). The paint added to this layer, will be changed in some manner, so that it becomes transparent, allowing the colors beneath it to show through. The manner this is handled, will often depend on the tool being used, or the effect looking to be created. For example, after adding a new layer, one could opt to dilute the paint for the Oil Brush or Watercolor tools by increasing the Thinners setting. In both cases, the paint will become more transparent (for the oil brush, this happens around the 50% mark), which will allow the colors beneath the layer to show through. Another method, is to change the blend mode of either the tool (if it allows it), or the layer itself. Certain tools, like the Ink Pen and Airbrush, have this Blend Mode option, which can be changed to make them react differently with the paint they are drawn over. For example, if you were to change the blend mode for the Ink Pen to "Multiply", you'll notice that new marks made with the tool, will not fully cover up the other marks, and will show through as a darker pigment. Alternatively, the layer itself may be set to use a blend mode of it's own, by selecting one of the blend options from the Blend Mode list, on the layers Menu panel (so, right click on the layer, select Blend Mode, and choose an option).

04-16-2011, 10:18 AM
So well explained Someonesane,
glaze layer is one of the many cool features of AR.

04-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now what is involved.
I am used to using blend modes etc in layers after many years of retouching in photoshop.
Regards Geoff