PDA

View Full Version : First iPad Painting

Boxy
04-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Its not much but here is my first iPad Painting - A corner of my living room. My word I am extremely enthusiastic about this very portable combination. Interesting to see how painting smaller with a finger/stylus directly on screen moves my painting style to something very loose and painterly. I really like that! :)

http://boxy.co.uk/uploads/russians.jpg

eighty+
04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Boxy. Very good. :cool:

Boxy
04-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks. :)

Rowena
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
This is lovely Boxy... I cant wait to get mine now, but I have to wait for a friend to bring mine out to me - only available overseas at this point in time :))

Muir Dragonne
04-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Excellent work! I love those russian dolls. Could never have them in my house though - not unless they were set up about 7 feet off the floor, out of reach of my 8 year old's reach. :P

Caesar
04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
What a great starting show for Your fingers! :eek::cool:
You're opening a new world of portable art-making indeed. In a way human race should have evolved with some further built-in organs to write, paint and draw, vizualize and, why not, print too. What we missed this far, due to natural evolution rquired times, we're anyway getting in advance by technology everyday progress! :D:D

Mike Severoff
04-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Tell us about the difficulties!
Can iPad reacts to the degree of depression (as a tablet)?
Or maybe someone already talked about the difficulties? :)

ps. The picture is good, thanks

Boxy
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. :)
There is no pressure sensitivity as far as I'm aware but I haven't found that a problem in any mobile app as they all have some way of making strokes more transparent.
There is a slight lag on some large strokes but nowhere near enough to hinder painting in any way.
The main difficulty for me is not of AR's making but of Apple's - specifically their ludicrous decision to put highly reflective screens on everything - not least portable devices, which by nature will always always always be used outdoors in strong light. Really, what does it matter that blacks are slightly blacker when you can't see the black for reflections? :)

Jasminek
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Very nice accomplishment indeed.:)

gxhpainter2
04-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Boxy - very nice work, without any pressure sensitivity it must be a bit of a challenge although this piece look very painterly and loose but composition and tones are great:):):):)

J Witt
04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Love it . I like how the ipad makes me think differently about my approach to painting digitally.

Boxy
04-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Boxy - very nice work, without any pressure sensitivity it must be a bit of a challenge although this piece look very painterly and loose but composition and tones are great:):):):)

Thanks guys. I don't find the pressure sensitivity an issue because as J Witt says you just need to approach it in a slightly different way. I really love the loose effect and find it liberating to paint in this style as I normally spend far too long on details! :D
While I'm posting here I need to retract the statement about the glossy screen slightly as I got an anti reflective protector which does help in some ways, but actually made the reflective light more diffuse and harder to see in certain circumstances, so I think the problem is just that our current screen technologies can't cope with bright days. I still love it though!

screenpainter
04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
It's great to see you're relaxing more with the art. It must be a lot of fun to just paint and relax with the brush strokes. This one is very enjoyable. It will be fun to follow your work with the new tool. :)

Alexandra
04-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Excellent painting Boxy, also thank you for explaining the positives and negatives-and that you are still happy with it.

ScottF
04-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Thanks for sharing the painting and your thoughts about using AR on the iPad. It makes me want to dive in. I recently got a 1st gen iPad, have AR installed, and just got a stylus. Now I need to start playing around with it. :cool: Are your other works recently posted in the gallery also done on the iPad?

jibes
04-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I like your painting very much!! Looks familiar to me because as you have seen, I did a very similar painting. One that includes a fireplace while sitting in my fav chair.:)
I agree that the pressure sensitivity was not much of an issue (as I assumed it would be) A stylus does sound good. More control I presume.
I think you did an excellent job and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Boxy
05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone. GZ that is the biggest joy, painting on the iPad is addictive and just plain fun. Scott - yes the last 5 (I think!) were all done on the spot with an iPad. Obviously at some point I'll experiment with the other tools but I love the oil brush most.

AT-TA
05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Boxy, i like this still life with matryoshkas....there the story is told about people living in that room and it is warm and never ending. Cute and well done.