PDA

View Full Version : A centaur as a guinea pig

Caesar
04-15-2011, 02:01 AM
I was in experimental mode. I sketched a funny imaginary centaur with pencil first and I made some experiment with layer blending and highlighted the third one ... then the reverse, more interesting I'd say.
I apologize for not being a horse expert like VanityX. :D

semd74
04-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Perhaps Vanity could give you some pointers...LOL

Alexandra
04-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Great sketch Cesare, though he is not a character I would want to run into out in fantasy land.:p:p:p

Rowena
04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
LOL, this is very good and very funny too! :)

AT-TA
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Very good sketches....:-)

Caesar
04-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Most likely, dear Semd74! Maybe she'll a little more mythologically familiar with Valkyries than Centaurs, :D but she can certainly teach me and many of us on horse painting! thank You! :p Thank You!

Dear Sandra, You're perfecrly right! They're hot-blooded guys, so You would risk to meet by far more easily someone like Nessus instead than one like Chiron! :D Thank You!

Thank You, dear Rowena! Sometimes it happens to meet someone with an equine face and or smile, so why shouldn't this happen to centaurs too? Anyway he looks like a stud, doesn't he? ;):D

I find I should make some practice and improve my horses dear Anna, so I thank You for Your encouragement!

Mike Severoff
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
The lower part of the torso is similar to the female genitalia.
I am a pervert? :D
A picture - a very good!

Caesar
04-15-2011, 11:49 PM
LOL:p Dear Mike, since I'm not an horse expert, so just I checked and found this couple of pictures.
I can assure wasn't thinking to that ... "cherry-like" part You pointed out (curiously for me), :o but that was probably due to the fact that, after my primary school days, my preferences directed towards more mature fruits :rolleyes: and I still feel more comfortable with and prefer genuine and not drastically depilated, glabrous ... mares views, which may always risk to rather look like ... aged colts instead. ;):D
Thank You very much to give me the opportunity to explain, just in case! :)

Mike Severoff
04-16-2011, 12:03 AM
LOL:p Dear Mike, since I'm not an horse expert, so just I checked and found this couple of pictures.

Philip Farmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Jos%C3%A9_Farmer) in his book "The Multilevel Peace"(World of Tiers an Eng.?) is very well described the construction of the "real" centaur.
But you convinced me, yes - I probably spring:)

Caesar
04-16-2011, 12:20 AM
To be such an expert of centaurs, Phil Farmer should be more than two millennia old then, when the last one was seen somewhere in Greec or in its colonies! :D

Anyway I found for You also, among the dozens of centaurs paintings and statues(exactly Nessus and his Deianira kidnapping attempt, see mythology and Hercules):
an ancient one by Giovanni Antonio Burrini (the most famous masterpiece thereabout was by Guido Reni);
an illustration by Frank Frazetta curiously looking somehow similar to the previous one
... and a by far worse couple of my old works thereabout.:o

pat1940
04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Caesar, love this, it reminds me when I used to watch Hercules with Kevin Sorba on TV there was a centaurs character on the program:D

coops
04-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Fantasia never had such a jolly fellow when I saw the film but Cesare I think he look like he has a great sense of humour. :)

justjean
04-16-2011, 05:56 AM
being a mythical figure I have never seen one but he looks like one that one might imagine :D

Noogins
04-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Caesar,
as always great stuff! I love your imagination!

Bob Row
04-16-2011, 07:35 AM
You certainly improved your mastering of the horse anatomy since the old takings. Mythology, muscular men and horses where three of my favorite subjects in the old days. Yet, you made me realize that I never combined the three in drawing centaurs. How strange.

D Akey
04-16-2011, 08:06 PM
She looks like a true Olympian. . . from which country I can't be sure since she's not wearing the team uniform. Ah yes. . . the Summer Olympics I think it was. . . the 70s sometime, if I recall. . .the tragedy of steer-oids. . .

VanityX
04-16-2011, 08:32 PM
The horse-part looks a lot like the horses Da Vinci drew...and that is what I have tried so many times, not a copy, but one of my own, but I did not achieve this.......so I am jalous !!:D
So I think it's great !

For the lower front part, the chest...it depends on the horses muscles. If it is a young or not trained horse, it will look like the second picture, less muscular...

If i could draw like this....I say if...I would add a little more muscles to the back of the horse part... But that is only because I look at it from a realistic point of view......and I can not help myself doing that....;)

Great job Caesar !!!

Caesar
04-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Thank You dear Pat! Right, that was the reference mythology and the guy was a .... nice stud :D (hope the term is right), although I preferred another character (on the feminine side;):p). I know that series and like it.
Anyway, especially for us here that use to study many ancient stories and poems in the original form we then imagined mentally, I find that, generally, American movies on mythology and history (but also Pinocchio) tend to get far enough from the original story we know, often with a quite different spirit (sometimes too simplified and out of context) and, especially recently, much exaggerated and unreal, often focused on special effects, as it was, for instance, with Troy, 300, Spartacus etc. ... like a genuine and well composed sandwich changed into an hyper-savoury, sauces-filled triple Mac!:D

Dear Katie, if I'm not wrong, the centaurs in Fantasia (btw this word is Fantasy in Italian, provided the accent is on the i) were quite serious guys while this one seems to be an amused and witty guy, perhaps a little dumb too ...:p Thank You!

Right, dear Jean, You only have to guess where a human body may credibly join an headless horse.;):p Thank You!

Thank You, dear Noogins! I'd say my imagination tend to be a little unbridled ...:D

Dear Bob, I think You may remedy pretty easily. You only have to find the right personality to portray on a caricature. Let's say Lady Camilla P-B may inspire You for drawing a similar combination ...:D

Dear D Akey, You've got sharp eyes to guess it's a she ...:D Maybe that's exactly a side effect of steroids! This guy is a polo champ deity I guess. Thank You!

Dear VanityX, I confess I never peeled off and ripped a dead horse like Leonardo used to do with dead people to study their anatomy and, without a reference, I just mixed memory of the shape to a credible muscular structure I actually don't know for horses (I just presume that some correspondence of muscles, even if differently proportioned, exist between humans and other mammals). Thank You for Your indications and I promise to study and improve my knowledge (and outcomes) thereabout!