PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Pietà (4th update)

Caesar
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I finally decided which way to go on and complete this second painting aimed at a charity exhibition and sale in Rom at June.
I can show You this unfinished WIP whcih should give an idea of the composition colors, tones and figures.
I only have to work now to complete, fine tune and probably glaze it on an upper layer (I'll possibly try some alternative tools for this).
I hope You like it and that I won't end out evetually spoiling it.
I also discarded the further idea to add three parts to the red sun to make it look like the radioactive sign.

barnburner
04-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Extremely touching and powerful Caesar.. Superb job of painting.

coops
04-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Well painted and very moving Cesare:)

Suha
04-15-2011, 01:23 AM
It is a powerful and very beautiful I liked a lot Caesar
I do not know what you must add
But it is possible to paint some details of the true colors of oil after the print
I think it would be nice

semd74
04-15-2011, 02:18 AM
A very powerful painting Caesar...

Jasminek
04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Touches the soft spots of all viewers I am sure dear Caesar, very well done.:)

justjean
04-15-2011, 03:35 AM
A wonderful painting Caesar, and it suits so well the tragedy of Japan

gigicharm
04-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Lovely tribute Caesar!

Blessings,
GigiCharm:o

gxhpainter2
04-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Caesar - very nice concept and painting, I am pleased that you are making this effort for the Japanese people and concerned with their welfare..nice gift for someone... can't wait to see the final edition

limey-g
04-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Very powerful painting, I like the red sun but not sure about the crispness of it.
Geoff

Rowena
04-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Great job you did and great idea too :)

P. D. Dinkles
04-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Brillant and powerful. What a statement. Crossing oceans and humanity. With the passion and empathy of Michelangelo's Pieta for the distressed people of Japan. A to be remembered piece.

Limey-G's comment about crispness may be correct, and I respect it. But I see that somewhat course canvas owing to the classic appearance of the masters, leaving a familiar patina-like dressing.

Great work Caesar. Your history of art and European culture leaves us with something very special.

Alexandra
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Brilliant Cesare, so well thought and so well done-bravo!

AT-TA
04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Beautiful Caesar, but sad and heartbreaking... I like the colors, they nicely express the emotions you wanted to convey. Nice muscle work. :-)

damasocl
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Caesar: I´m specchless...!
Wonderful, great!!!

Caesar
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
FOREWORDS (skip if You wish, thanks are below! ;):p)
Dear friends, it was quite natural think to this composition for me.
First, because compassion and solidarity are much rooted in my country to our traditional and bi-millenarian christian faith whose principles and sensitivities survives also today, even among all different beliefs, ideologies or atheisms that the freedom and human dignity right finally allows. As a matter of fact we still use to say in our idiomatic language "he's a poor Christ" or "this christian", also to indicate someone who is not, in front of, respectively, a suffering innocent guy or someone we may possibly not know, but we recognise as a human being, thus a brother or sister. In a way we feel all human beings, by choosing love for God and other people as a rule, cannot escape, as Jesus Christ didn't even being able, pains and death, but also can keep hoping they will resurrect and never die in full.
Second, because we enjoy in Italy the presence of masterpieces as those by Michelangelo and Caravaggio who inspired me here for the statuary composition and dramatic lighting.

Hoping to possibly show You the two final works, maybe in some downgraded form should they be sold after the exhibition, I guess, I would thank You all for Your most encouraging comments.

Thank You, dear: Barn, Katie, Suha, Semd74, Jasmine (touches soft spots? Sounds alarming:D), Jean (Yep, and many other tragedies all over the centuries:rolleyes:), Gigicharm, Gxhpainter (hope Misterpaints' idea is successful), Limey-g (I'll try final glaze eventually), Rowena, Dinkles (a good eye recognizing the M.A. inspiring masterpiece!:)), Sandra, Anna and Damaso!

Mike Severoff
04-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Very good, Caesar, just great!

Caesar
04-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Thank You, dear Mike!
Inspiration from some of the greatest artists ever, even just looking at their masterpieces and try to make a new composition out of their lessons, is a very profitable way to get a better chance to paint at least an honest artwork, I think.

pat1940
04-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Caesar, what a masterful painting, and wonderful tribute

waheednasir
04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
thats a very expressive work mate and very thoughtful.

jonwood
04-17-2011, 01:48 AM
nice work as always....

D Akey
04-17-2011, 05:32 AM
You really think aloud with your brush, don't you, my dear Caesar, often with remarkable effect. I like very much your offering the expression of empathy in relating what is afar to that which is close to you. And the noble tragedy of losing the most dear one to a mother, her child. Well, I interpret your image as Japan is like the Madonna in this respect.

Compassionate, Caesar. Very respectful.

Nika
04-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Very expressive image. Great tribute

Caesar
04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Dear Pat, I'm a little worried, because the difficul part here didn't come as yet, but I hope to take it soon to a decent end fter some corrections and brushwork on this chomatic and compositive base. Thank You.

Thank You, dear Waheed! With Your encouraging support, it's time now to start revisiting and concentrating on it after some days away so as to have a fresh view on it and resume energy to take it to an end.

Thank You, dear Jon, for dropping Your kind appreciation.

... and I also try to fly too high sometimes, dear D Akey, and that's why I'm bruised all over, like Icarus! :D:p
This painting can be read in many subtle way (and Your one is astoundingly intelligent and insightful), but, fortunately, all sharing the same substance, because, probably, by sharing the same human condition and soul, we humanistically share also the universal language of body and feelings which become monument and profound, eternal sentiments.

Thank You, dear Nika! The enormous tragedy that struck Japan cannot be described, only evocated as much deeply as we may empathically realize it.

Lima
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Very impressive. A lot of emotion ... one can feel every moment... I have several japanese friends .. this is very sad. Congratulations Caesar, a remarkable painting.

byroncallas
04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
A thoughtful tribute dear Caesar.

Caesar
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Still on progress, dear Lima and Byron, and far from final (and hopefully sensibly better) finishing. I also put some effort to reduce the woman's head size, thus reworking an already painted layer (I'm halfway there), and to start introducing some lighter shadow break the darkest part of it.
Not that easy by imagination only now ...
Thank You!

scribbledsoul
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Very beautiful and evocative! Your work is inspiring and very emotionally charged. :)

Caesar
04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Thank You, dear Scribble. I hope that it will eventually become also enough masterfully-made once finished ... :p

waheednasir
04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
very well updated mate..:).

Caesar
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Dear Waheed, I'm still beyond this last one and apparently in the right direction You helped me to explore. Nonetheless, due to changes after I merged some layers, the re-work/ adjust is a little more laborious than expected and made directly on the same layer. I'll try to recover some better contrast and color harmony with glazes too.
Here's my last step ...

mannafig
04-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Superb dear Cesare:):)
This should be a sure hit for the Charity sale in June
I wish you all the best dear friend.:)

Caesar
04-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Thank You, dear Amanda! This is probably the last WIP, both colored and in B&W versions, before I finish it on a new layer with final touches, glazing/ canvas changes experiments and anything which would harmonize it better.
Thank You all again for support and advices!

limey-g
04-21-2011, 02:27 AM
It has come out really well and such a powerful image.
Geoff

pat1940
04-21-2011, 05:03 AM
My dear Caesar, this is simply outstanding, thru your patience and your openess to advise you have created a masterpiece, I wish you all the best in your charity sale, this is a sure sale, it has so much passion in this painting.....good luck my dear friend, it is so well deserved:):):):):):):):);););););););););)

ScottF
04-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Very powerful, Caesar! I´ve been following this one since its first appearance in WIP. You´ve certainly made some wise, masterful choices in your progress! A fine one!

waheednasir
04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
this is good. i like updates Caesar. very nice refinements. all the best..:).

Bob Row
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
As others said, this piece turned out to be a very powerful and moving one. Your inner criticism may be deceptive (we always expect something best from ourselves) but you should feel rather proud. Great job!

Caesar
04-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Thank You, dear Geoff! I'm not satisfied as yet and I'll try something else I think, to make it more appealing, but I think it may be a honest painting anyway with little touches for the aim it was started to.

Dear Pat, thank You very much for Your kind word. Independently from how much patience and effort I put I still wonder if someone would actually eventually buy (not hanging too) the two works I prepared. :rolleyes:
I may just hope that they have enough aesthetic value and emotionally content for someone who's not considering only interior decoration ...:p

Thank you, dear Scott! Sometimes I wonder though, if a looser approach would have been more involving and evocative, since I feel I didn't reach enough of the classical perfection target this far. Imagination and skill are hardly enough to that purpose. More preparation and modeling are probably required.

As You know, dear Waheed, I've been driven on the right track, but the hardest part for me is the last mile I'm afraid! Thank You very much!

Thank You very much for Your most encouraging words, dear Bob! Actually I had no model for either of the two faces, lighting etc., so it was a very difficult task for my skills to set up this stage.
I feel also very much dwarfed by the inevitable comparison I cannot avoid with the great masters of the past "haunting" the places where I live ...

screenpainter
04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
It is quite beautiful Cesare. Beautifully painted and you have conveyed such a strong emotion here. finely done. my only suggestion is a reduction in the scale of the female figure's head would exponentially increase her beauty and match her figure proportionately. Also her hand could be scaled down to match her body size. I think this may be why you are to a small degree yet dissatisfied perhaps?

jibes
04-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Excellent work Caesar!!!

mannafig
04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Beautiful dear Cesare both versions are great but I really love the B&W version fantastic work:):)

justjean
04-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Caesar, a wonderful painting of a very sad and tender scene :)

byroncallas
04-23-2011, 04:47 PM
This continues to take shape, a beautiful progression Caesar. Albert may have a point on the head and hand. A thought if you continue this even further - in part the painting has power now because we are all aware of the tragedies that continue to unfold in Japan. With the passage of time the context may be lost for new viewers which may hinder generating contextual comprehension and the compassion that comes with it. Perhaps the inclusion of some imagery or symbols that that tie the expression to its events will give the effort greater shelf life. (?)

Caesar
04-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Thank You all, dear friends!
Work to be resumed soon. I should downsize the woman furtherly a little bit, You're right, dear Albert, and hope to find out how else improve it until time will be up ...

MSIE
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
my only suggestion is a reduction in the scale of the female figure's head would exponentially increase her beauty and match her figure proportionately. Also her hand could be scaled down to match her body size.

I agree, her hand seems to be too large.
regarding her face/head I'd rather expand the canvas than shrink her head. imho a bit more space above her head (+ positioning the red sun a little bit higher) would do the trick! ;)
I love her face, she is beautiful, I watched the steps of this painting from the beginning and I think you've done a great job, Caesare :) :)

gxhpainter2
04-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Caesar - beautiful work... It is a special treat to read the comments and suggestions and see your work evolve. This is a very special piece and you've done a marvelous job on it... this is such a challenging piece I am sure you've grown because of it. WELL DONE:):):):):):)

Caesar
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
thank You again. Some re-sizing, especially on the woman's hand is appropriate. Hope to be able to adjust tomorrow all the proportions.