PDA

View Full Version : My third horse

VanityX
04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
As many of you have seen my two Frisian mares already, I want to introduce my third horse called Hummer, which in Germany means a kind of big schrimp or lobster or something so I get very funny looks my way....:D
Hummer is a 5 year old Belgian (or Dutch) Drafthorse who weighs about 800/900 kilo and is named after the 4x4 car or militairy vehicle...
We bought him when he was 9 months old as a young stud...and like a puppy he follows me around and reads my thoughts so I do not have to tell him anything.... well I can talk for hours about him but here he is.....
My very big friend for life...

limey-g
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Beautiful Vanity, love the skin treatment, I think I have plenty to learn.
You are the expert on horses.
Regards Geoff

AlanEu
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Fantastic!!!
look at that emotional eyes!

justjean
04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
A wonderful painting, one can almost feel him coming to greet you :)

coops
04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Beautiful painting Vanity:)

barnburner
04-11-2011, 11:36 PM
One look at this painting, and it's obvious that it was done by someone with a great love of horses. So much personality painted into this. Splendid work Vanity. :):)

gxhpainter2
04-12-2011, 02:26 AM
VanityX - such a beautiful animal and amazing work in draftsmanship and painting... lovely work..:):):)

P. D. Dinkles
04-12-2011, 06:20 AM
I love the relationship we have with horses, which you depict so well. Independence and caring are what I perceive their character to be. But you would know best.

P.D.

Nika
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Splendid portrait of your friend :):):)

P. D. Dinkles
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Vanity

I tried to comment on your Rembrandt self portrait: Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. A young Rembrandt would be pleased looking through the mirror at himself.

And I am truly sorry for the loss of Sam. What a great tribute the painting is. I hope Sam resides in your mind and dreams forever.

P.D.

Alexandra
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Beautiful and touching painting of this wonderful companion!

Suha
04-12-2011, 09:57 AM
very impressive;)like real congratulata:)

semd74
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Your horse paintings have been absolutely beautiful...

Mike Severoff
04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Very interesting. As a living :)

Caesar
04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Just perfect, up to its equine expression and look!

VanityX
04-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the great compliments and the very kind words.... This means a lot to me. This gives me the impuls to go on and improve myself. Maybe I will someday learn to get the same impact with less strokes...

I started drawing horses when I was a child, because my parents did not want to buy me one...;)
I tended to always draw a black kind of wild or arabian horse as my all time favorit.
So at the end of 2006 the time was finallay there to have my own horse. I placed an add which said, I am looking for a frisian horse, or something that looks like a frisian horse a.s.o.....15 minutes later I got a call, the owner of Sam who read my add called me and painted me a picture with her words of what Sam looks like....I fell in love immediately....and when I saw him it was exactly the horse I always painted...
He was a crossbreed between a Frisian mare and a black Arabian Stallion.
Both pure breeded horses....
So he was kind an honest and a little wild too....
He teached me everything I needed to know....and I had to take a very good at myself before we became partners... Not by riding which I did every day too, but by interacting with eachother and doing excersizes both with our feet on the ground. And when we were at the top of our bonding he got an accident in his stable at the place where he was temporary standing. I had to let him put to sleep an hour later....
And then I found out how deep this bond was.

This big gentle giant Hummer was ment to be his companion at the pasture where we keep them now. Because we had him that young, two months after Sam he came to us....he never experienced anything bad in his life. So he is actually like he looks in my painting a very sweet horse who wants to do everything right. The only thing he does not understand yet is that he can not let his head rest on my shoulder, or that he can not put his hoof on my foot. He protects the smaller and weaker. He wants to do good and only that.....and if he does something wrong like steeling food from another horse I need to tel him calm that he is not supposed to do that....If I yell or get angry he does not "speak" to me for a week haha....

He does not always look this nice, he changes colors with every season. Right now he is loosing his wintercoat and gets almost white to turn to a dark reddish brown in the winter. I will paint another picture of Hummer in his wintercoat.....He looks like a giant Teddybear in the winter.

Noogins
04-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I read somewhere that you can see the soul through a horses eyes or was it a horse can see your soul through his eyes. Whichever way this is a beautiful picture and can definitely feel this horses' soul. Vanity, beautiful work!

VanityX
04-13-2011, 09:24 PM
You had me confused haha....They say overhere the eye of a horse is the mirror of your soul....
That is true...your mood or your thoughts reflect on a horse, they sence you intention, not every horse though.....
If I went to Sam and told myself, what ever happens what ever he does, I will stay on his back and he will do what I ask....then he did. If I was insecure, he showed me that by fooling around, not in a mean way.
But the two Frisians, they know I mean well, even if I am totally frustrated by something else. They stop eating, come after me, stop me in a corner where I can not leave, both put their head on a shoulder and do not let me walk away untill I have calmed down. And check afterwards a few times if I am still okay. At first I thought this was a coincedence, but they do it every time. That is why equine therapy is such a wonderfull thing to children with mental problems or limitations. They sence illnesses, like my husband who has MS....they are very gentle around him.

But Hummer is still a little insecure himself because of his age....but he has a great potential to become a very....very sensible horse.

Craigie
04-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I know this horse (and this pose :p). You did a great job Linda, excellent work!

VanityX
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I know you haha...You made this beautifull picture of Hummer....which is still the nicest picture I have of him...:D

waheednasir
04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
very nice work..:). apart from the focus i esp like the palette and the soft horizon like.