PDA

View Full Version : Using ArtRage to Improve Existing Paintings

felixdk
04-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm sure others must have used ArtRage for this purpose before, but it just came to me while I was preparing to make some revisions to an acrylic painting that I had shelved (2 plus years:)). Why just dig in and start slinging new paint at a work that you're not quite happy with when you can work the problems out in ArtRage first without the fear of making things much, much worse?

I had semi-completed this acrylic on canvasboard painting a couple of years ago, but never felt really happy with it and I kept working things over and discarding revisions without ever working up the enthusiasm to start repainting and perhaps totaling it.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/felixdk/Artwork/Lufbery_111708_18X24_300ppi.jpg

ArtRage to the rescue. I had taken a photo of it, so I saved that as a .psd in Photoshop and imported it as a layer in a new ArtRage painting. I had created the .ptg with a canvas texture so that any new areas of paint that I added would not be smooth and contrast with the texture of the paint on the canvasboard. Now I'm free to paint on a new layer and try out any changes I want to make without worry. Here's where I'm at now and I'm ready to get out the paint and brushes and commit it to canvas.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/felixdk/Artwork/Revised-Lufbery-4-5-2011.jpg

ArRage would be worth the price to me for this funtion alone, even if I didn't already find it fun to paint with.

(The painting is called "Eye to Eye" and shows Lafayette Escadrille pilots Raoul Lufbery and Victor Chapman in Nieuport 11s tangling with 2 German Fokker E.IIIs over France in the Summer of 1916)

screenpainter
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Gorgeous. What a painting!!! To begin with your painting is awesome. Great to see you working out the solutions for the painting with artrage. Very cool.

felixdk
04-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks GZ,

I feel better about it now that I can finish it. No major changes, mostly more emphasis on certain areas. Now I won't have to keep it stuck in the "Corner of Shame" behind my bookcase :).

Don

kenmo
04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Awesome idea.... Love the original painting, it's fantastic...!!!!!!