PDA

View Full Version : Honey

limey-g
04-02-2011, 07:36 AM
One of our Siberian Huskies " Honey "
Been working on the painting for a few days, hope it is alright.
Geoff

MacPix
04-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Outstanding dog portrait!:):):)

justjean
04-02-2011, 02:53 PM
she is a beauty :)

Bobbyray
04-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Blimey Limey

Looks like ya got a thing going with blondes....hehe ;)

Very Sweet and cuddly...well mabey. :eek:

Seriously, this is fantastic!

Sketchism71
04-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Nicely done Limey! Beautiful dog!

D Akey
04-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Looks great. I can see the charm coming through loud and clear. I like the choice to keep it all light values save for the eyes and nose. Really pulls the eye there, and then as an almost second read, the turn of the pose ads a quality as if the dog were just called by her beloved friend.

I think over time you will get to where you can finesse the fur a little more without too much additional effort. It's just getting to where you have gone that route a few more times and see the patterns a bit and stroke those directions. You may already know them and probably do, but perhaps because the values are all so close in value it's like splitting hairs. But I think it is possible, even gorgeous to split hairs.

The other way it can be handled is where it all sort of falls into a soft focus (airbrush for example), and having some fur describing enough to imply the whole from a few select areas of detail. You are kind of there now. So it's just a matter of working out the strategic places where it matters.

It's two different camps on that subject -- put in everything, and the other is to be selective and say enough that the viewer can complete the picture with you. That's in my opinion more engaging and masterful when there's a little mystery with enough visual info to solve it.

But like I say, the painting is already aimed straight to the heart and it works very well on that level. Now it's just the visual specifics of how you orchestrate the viewing experience that remain.

But it's really quite good. Congratulations!

Weeks
04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Good job Limey-g

Best,

Weeks

limey-g
04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and comments which really help a beginner like me .
This is the first time for a dog painting and I used a photo I took for reference.
Regards Geoff

Jasminek
04-03-2011, 01:12 AM
What a charming dog you painted here. The eyes and fur are perfect.:)

Caesar
04-03-2011, 02:24 AM
A magnificent dog and You made a superb portrait of her!

mannafig
04-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Stunning a beautiful painting of an utterly charming looking dog:):)
Reminds me of my Husky that I had to give to my sister-in-law due to personal matter it broke my heart but at least I can still see her.

pat1940
04-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Geoff, what a beautiful portrait, my heart took a leap, as we had a wonderful siberian huskey also (white and biscuit color) he passed away many years ago, but never forgotten, wonderful work;);):):)

limey-g
04-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks for all your encouragement, glad to see that many of you have had Sibes at some time.
Alas ,Honey passed away 3 years ago yesterday and that was one reason I did the painting.
Best wishes
Geoff

gxhpainter2
04-03-2011, 06:32 AM
fantastic work on the eyes and nose. I love my dog and appreciate the work that is in this image. very well done:):)

semd74
04-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Absolutely beautiful painting...looking forward to seeing more of your artwork. I had a spitz during my growing up years that I loved more than I did most humans and I still miss that dog. Snowball had a lot guts too...I saw him tackle a german shepherd once...lost the fight but wasn't afraid of anything...

swede
04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you. I really enjoyed looking at this. Very subtle and warm.. I can feel the love.

VanityX
04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I think you did great Geoff ! I do not know her so you yourself should be judging if you caught her spirit correctly. But to me she looks perfect !
I personaly would have the tendency to add some more darker shades to the lips and mouth but if it is not there...it is no use to paint that.
Is this her as she is now or a puppy painting ?

I ask that because I just made a painting of two Shiba Inu dogs and got some pictures of them as young dogs and older dogs. One is the light orange (red) color and his black lips and so on were light when he was young and are darker as he gets older. I love Husky's but I have little knowledge of this breed.

But for a beginner.....you go really really fast and make great paintings !

limey-g
04-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone, you folks are so supportive and I really appreciate just how friendly the forum is.
I am learning so much by viewing all your beautiful works.
In answer to you question Vanity that was Honey in adult life, she was 13 when she passed away.
Regards Geoff

AT-TA
04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
And you have done so well for the first time doggy portrait... i like it... she is a beauty.