PDA

View Full Version : Poster Concept

Sketchism71
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
This is a poster design for the little league my kids play on. It is one of many ideas I had but is the only one that made it to a semi-completed phase. I would love some feedback on this one because I have been staring at it to long and I need some fresh eye's. Let me know what you think. Thanks!:)

jacktar51
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Sketchism71...Well I think its great... good artwork in there,and thats my personal opinion....Jack.

pat1940
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Sketch, I think this is perfect as it is, the colors are wonderful, the creases in the boys pants and the pose is, I will say it again PERFECTO;);):):)

alkratzer
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Like what you have -- not sure my offering here is any better, but I present it for food for thought

Al

limey-g
03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
I like the concept, my only comment would be the blue diamond shape with printing would look better starting behind the players leg.
But what do I know.
Geoff

Alexandra
03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Great stuff Eddie!

Sketchism71
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Thank you for the comment Jack!:)

Thank you Pat for the wonderful comment! I'm glad you liked it!:)

Thank you Al! You nailed it!! It was a composition issue. I spent so much time painting the child and focusing on color and value... The composition was ignored (gets me every time on projects like this!). I figured it was just the text or font that didn't look right. Your version subtracts a lot of the dead space and has much better balance. I like the drop shadow as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for the fresh (and skilled) observation on this!:)

Thank you Limey! I added some of those designs to take up some space but your observation was dead on... The diamond needed to be behind the childs leg. Good eye! Thank you!:)

Thank you Sandra for the wonderful comment!:)

So here is another version thanks to great advice!

waheednasir
03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
this is good and the pose has a good sense of movement..:).

justjean
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Looks great, it's got movement, action and love of the game , just a wee nit pick but perhaps his right arm (the part thats showing) needs to be built up a bit ?:)

D Akey
03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi Sketch,

I think the idea is great. The pose is very cool (though I agree about the arms). The application is very good.

I am personally not too crazy about the pastel colors like purple. The palette is a little sweet for baseball (ie doesn't say baseball to me which deals with saturated primaries -- red, white, blue, black (see uniforms) against the earthy tones of dirt and grass, a white plate and chalk). Less designer label, more pine tar. The ground colors/values in the purples, it feels like the batter is in shadow, whereas the batter is the star and tells the whole story and should be hot as in a spotlight. The sort of acidic yellow-green is stealing focus.

I can kinda see what you're getting at, giving it a blur like old sports photos. That's groovy. But as you have done it, it feels soft rather than fast.

I know there's a whole world out there that I am out of touch with, and many illustrators have probably done sports stuff trying to give it cool effects and get all arty, but give me the story first over the artistic flair. Right now it's a little more about the illustration than the baseball event.

I also wouldn't mind seeing (part of) a catcher crowding in to give it a feeling of excitement and contest (without upsetting the passive nature of the game where there are no winners and losers if that's what this league is about.)

I know this sounds like I'm really ripping it apart. Not my intention. It's good. But since you asked for opinions, I was running through a mental checklist and that's what came up. It would probably be impossible to do it all with this one taken to where it is anyway, but it's for consideration only.

I will return the compliment, and say you are welcome to ignore everything I have said. At the end of the day it's about you and the audience out there, not me, which this critique is sounding like.

Caesar
03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Dear Sketch, this is illustration is terrific and well on track for a descendant of so many great US illustrators of the Golden Age I'm a great admirer of.
Some of them were also outstanding artist and masters comparable to great fine arts painters in my view!
I cannot say much on the pose correctness, baseball is a very minor sport here, but the composition, the dynamic feeling the lighting the figure ... everything seems well captured and most promising to me!

barnburner
04-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Sketch, I think it's great..
Excellent detail.
:):)

Sketchism71
04-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Thank you waheed!:)

Thank you justjean! That arm you are talking about is driving me crazy now. I believe it is correct comparing it to the photo reference of the pose I used... However, now that I go back to the reference picture, I don't think the arm in the photo even looks right. A strange angle of the camera or strange pose of the child... not sure but thanks for the input!

Thanks DA! The arms...urghhh! I may just choose a new pose... Anyway, your observations are, as usual, spot on correct and I agree with them. This is a cool image with some snappy color but it doesn't scream "Baseball" - at least in a nostalgic - little league - American apple pie - Fourth of July way. I threw in the pastels because it is also a huge girls softball league and thought perhaps I could capture the feel of both...doesn't work! I think it's time to shake the etch a sketch clean and refresh this with all the good info I have. Thank you so much for your keen eye and willingness to share your views...extremely valuable!:)

Thanks Mike for checking back with it! I agree, I like it but I also think I may keep exploring on this one. Thanks for the great comment!:)