PDA

View Full Version : Grandson Louis (Portrait)

Saphire
03-30-2011, 09:14 AM
My Grandson Louis big brother to Felix.
I have stopped doing any more work on this one I was starting to mess it up.
Hope you like.

Evart
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Looks great. Well done!

Saphire
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you Evart.

Caesar
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
It's practically perfect and astoundingly neat and realistic as a portrait!
If I may forward You a slight personal impression, I would only point out that some boundaries are possibly too precisely drawn, separating areas like in a collage. Usually there's some reflection of other objects on the skin and viceversa and little shadows (T-shirt/ neck) have not a fixed thickness or none.
I hope You would excuse me, but I'm so impressed by Your capability and You are so close to perfection that even a millimeter away from it may become evident and I couldn't refrain from this hopefully constructive observation.
Congratulations also for Your young jewels You're so proud of!

Saphire
03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Thank you so much Caesar, your comments and suggestions are truly welcome and appreciated.
I can see now looking at it after having a break, exactly what you are saying. I was getting a little bogged down trying to get the skin tones and his eyes right, that I missed the important little bits like shadows and textures on the clothing. I should have taken a step back and had a break, instead of trying to finish it all in one go.

Saphire
03-31-2011, 01:47 AM
Caesar, I have done the neckline and quite a few other bits I missed. Thank you again for your help.
These are the first portraits I have done since the early 70's, at that time I did a few miniatures of my own children.
I love digital and ArtRage.:D
The smaller Photo is what I used as reference.

coops
03-31-2011, 03:11 AM
Such a beautiful portrait of a lovely lovely boy. Well done Saphire.:)

Saphire
03-31-2011, 03:22 AM
Thank you coops.

Caesar
03-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Dear Saphire, You was so quick and over-effective in Your change.
Now I would really print the label perfect on it! :p
Looking forward to see Your next masterpieces and to learn more and more from looking at Your forthcoming entries!

Saphire
03-31-2011, 04:43 AM
Thank you so much Caesar for your very kind comment.

gxhpainter2
03-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Saphire - really a nice portrait. Thanks for including the ref picture it help me to understand how you went from that to your final product. totally cool:):):):):)

Saphire
03-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Thank you gxhpainter, I did use the photo to trace where the eyes, nose and mouth would be placed so I didn't get them wrong, all the rest was done from the reference picture. Its such a long time since I have done portraits I wanted to make sure they looked like my grandchildren and not cartoons.
I think its now time to try freehand I think.

pat1940
03-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Saphire, wonderful portrait and fine looking boy, Caesar gives great advise and you came up with a perfect painting:):););)

Saphire
03-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Thank you Pat, yes Caesars expertise is very welcome.

Alexandra
03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Absolutely gorgeous little boy and beautifully painted.

Saphire
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank you Alexandra, yes he is a gorgeous little boy, I received lots of cuddles on his 7th Birthday last Sunday, it was lovely.