PDA

View Full Version : Relax - A prisoner and a conquistador study

Caesar
03-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Just to discharge a little bit within my range of practise.
Imaginary. Background + figure layers (2). Oil and knife.

coops
03-30-2011, 04:20 AM
This looks like its going to be a fine painting Cesare even though a little disturbing. Well done:)

eighty+
03-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Hail O Caesar the mind boggles :D:D:D:D:D:D:D----E/S

damasocl
03-30-2011, 06:17 AM
This work is promising...
I can not imagine how it will look once completed!

AT-TA
03-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Waiting here, what comes out of this...looks very promising.:-)

barnburner
03-30-2011, 07:41 AM
This should be good....whatever it's going to be... :):)

Weeks
03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Ceasar, "merveilleux commencement" :eek:

Best,

Weeks

Evart
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Whoa, I see where you're going to go with it. I can imagine. Can't wait to see the finished pieces :D

gxhpainter2
03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Caesar - nice studies. I like the metallic gleam of the conquistador's armour. These are dramatic elements with great backlight... should be a stunner when you blend them together..:):)

Caesar
03-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Dear friends, actually they were not conceived as composition or finished paintings, so, even not excluding it, they were not deemed at being completed. For relaxing from my controlled process on "japanese" WIPs and make a self-examination, I tried to quickly test some imaginary colored body and chiaroscuro effects with oils used in a quite classical way (one layer only though). I didn't start with any texture, as often the most appropriate and useful way, as learned by our wonderWeeks.
Moreover, the vague reminders my mind tried to recall, may be found, to a too little extent alas, in either Michelangelo Buonarroti (prisoners unfinished statues) and Michelangelo Merisi (Caravaggio), two absolute masters You most likely know.

Thank you, dear Katie! Pls be assured there's non sado-maso content in the first (look above for inspiration). :p

LOL, :p dear ATPlus the Old, I just cannot keep my models standing still as with Your ancient British Gentlemen and Ladies. :p:D Thank You!

Thank You, dear Damaso! Neither do I ...:p

Dear Anna, You're almost right, but I think I still have a long way to imagine a fairly good looking drapery I'm afraid ...;):) Thank You!

Dear Barnburner, I just got a little more confident that I can still improve and on what I can progressively get referenceless and without complex procedures or shortcuts. There's none here. Thak You!

Merci beaucoup, cher Weeks! Actually I didn't use Your amazing teachings here, so I guess I've the possibility to improve sensibly my imaginary outcomes with them and get fairly better results in the future.

Dear Evart, I thank You very much! Anyway should I go wherever all my sudden sketches would take me, I would be soon torn apart ...:D:D

Thank You, Gxhpainter! That kind of armour appeared in some ancient classical Italian paintings and their effects stunned me since I was pretty young. I remind in particular of a Caravaggio impressive painting (XVI century) where Jesus is taken by a soldiers with a similar attire as soon as he's kissed by Judas.

Alexandra
03-31-2011, 04:29 AM
Wow, these are excellent dear Cesare. I am also loving the metal-wow-wow-wow!

Sketchism71
03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Fantastic studies Caesar! Your ability and knowledge to create form never ceases to amaze me! Excellent work!:eek:

justjean
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Caesar, great sketching on both and nice work on that armour :)

waheednasir
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
these look like nice studies..:). i like the figure and its pose, in the first image.

D Akey
03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Don't ya just hate models that move at the wrong time. Geez. And these were stacking up to be pretty good, too. :eek:

semd74
03-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Lots of potential here...look forward to the finished painting

Caesar
03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Thank You, dear Sandra! Even today people like very much powerful and shining metal armour, they call them cars! :D

That's possibly due to my passion to work figures with plasticine as a kid, dear Sketch ... :rolleyes::D True, but I'm kidding. The truth is that I was born in a quite favourable country where shapes, drawings, designs and chiaroscuro are so abundantly present You almost breath them. Not that we miss much on the colors-based views and schools though. ;) Thank You very much!

Thank you, dear Jean! You may find many of them on several classical paintings of the XVI and XVII centuries. I find them and their rendering absolutely fascinating! They seem to show vivid color shines in the apparent black hue of their extreme darkness. I think black is a great color, but probably the most difficult to use and certainly not to darken a base tone.

Thank You, dear Waheed! I didn't show it, but I found that the gloop pen is also a wonderful tool for giving a glaze on an upper level. The Conquistador sketch becomes even better with a very light pink tone for instance. and somehow more glossy.

Right, dear D Akey! :p I didn't finish them because, when I start testing is often without any composition idea and artistic target, so a time come when I don't know how to pack them decently and the effort may become no more cost-effective. Up to then I'm quite speedy and eager to see what is coming out ... Thank You!

Thank You very much, dear Semd74! Maybe I should cook up together some of my unfinisehd paintings according to a possible recipe to hopefully get some semi-abstract stunner ...:rolleyes:

kenmo
04-12-2015, 04:30 AM
Very interesting study....

Delofasht
04-12-2015, 06:39 AM
I probably should share more of my studies like these too, though I don't do them very often anymore. Either imagined or referenced I find these kinds of studies to be quite useful. . . especially when I put a lot of thinking as to what and why of what I'm actually studying. Good work, good practice.

- Delo

D Akey
04-13-2015, 05:02 AM
So it looks like the pork in case the door. . . sorry, my dictation program is telling me that I have a mumbling problem. . .

what I meant to say is that it looks like your country stood on her. . . conquistador (finally spelled it right -- this has to be insane for someone speaking Italian and using a translator. . . but carrying on. . .)

What I meant to say is that it looks like your conquistador was attacked before he managed to get his armor on and left the body and the painting and everything else in order to (aargh. . . )

I think it was Giorgio knee. . . I think it was Georgie only. . . I think it was Giorgione who had to paint armed with a short sword within reach. If not he, then it was some famous artist I believe who was working in late Renaissance or Mannerist Venice. During that time period, the rivalry among artists and their commissions was so intense that one could be assassinated in the middle of the painting.

Caesar
04-14-2015, 01:22 AM
Thank you, dear Kenmo. You're really an archeologist to exhumar such a couple of unfinished experiments I made so long ago ... :o

Dear Delofasht, unfortunately I rarely make studies of the various types in order to set up a complex composition in all its aspects, as great artists used to do, mostly in the past. I rather occasionally make an attempt to check what I may get with this or this other drawing or painting approach. Thank You!

LOL:o:D Dear D Akey, that's a funny idea that the prisoner was late to wear his XVI century (Spaniard looking) armour. Actually Giorgione preferred spears, as far as I remember, apart a case of a big sword, and I rather remember of a standing armourless guard with a long stick guarding a nursing mother who doesn't wear neither an armour nor her dress, apart from a white cape ...:o Thank You!

Bobbi
04-15-2015, 03:44 AM
I look forward to seeing the finished work. Your rendering so far is very dynamic.

BushcraftOnFire
04-15-2015, 03:50 AM
Great beginnings.. But where is the update? We are excited to see where this will go.. and it's been 3 weeks now! LOL

D Akey
04-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Great beginnings.. But where is the update? We are excited to see where this will go.. and it's been 3 weeks now! LOL

Three weeks and four years to be precise, Captain. . . ;););););)

BushcraftOnFire
04-15-2015, 05:43 AM
Three weeks and four years to be precise, Captain. . . ;););););)

YIKES! I see that now.. I saw the Mar 30 and thought it was a few weeks back.. LOL! Didn't notice the 4 year lapse there

Caesar
04-15-2015, 08:27 PM
YIKES! I see that now.. I saw the Mar 30 and thought it was a few weeks back.. LOL! Didn't notice the 4 year lapse there

Ahahahaha ;):oLOL It was actually an archaelogical excavation finding of an excercise experiment of parts not intended to end up into an actual painting. Since I had years of fun and exploration of any kind and style in my long ArtRage presence, I may grab the opportunity to say that I recently restructured my gallery in here and divided all the fun or decent or moderately poor works of mine into different genres.
You won't find artpieces of a true artist, most likely, but You may have some fun and appreciate a great variety of subjects, styles, outcomes etc. in case ....;)